Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 200 GB hard disk in Cube?

200 GB hard disk in Cube?
2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 06:32 PM

Is it possible with partitioning? I searched the forums and didn't find anything - I know there were threads about this.

Can I have 2 100GB partitions? I know the Cube does not support >128GB, I could format the hard drive on another Mac.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 02:06 AM

Bad idea. The Cube is not designed to handle the heat a drive that large is going to put off. I wouldn't put anything larger than a single platter hard drive in there, and, for my money, the Seagate Barracuda 40 GB has proved terrific.

Whatever you do, good luck.

OreoCookie
Feb 19, 2003, 06:14 AM

Nope, it won't recognize the full capacity AFAIK. It's ATA66 interface is limited to 137 GB.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

2far  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by awcopus:
Bad idea. The Cube is not designed to handle the heat a drive that large is going to put off. I wouldn't put anything larger than a single platter hard drive in there, and, for my money, the Seagate Barracuda 40 GB has proved terrific.
Actually the larger drives do not necessarily produce more heat (the WDxxxxBB/JB are known to run quite cool, cooler than my DiamondMax 120GB anyway - which still runs all day with zero problems in the Cube for 1.5 years now).

BTW, Apple did always include drives with more than one platter with the Cube.

I was not quite sure about the possibilities with an ATA66 and drives >128GB, but partitions <128GB (this seems to work in some computers ...). Anyway, I'll go with the WD1200JB (120GB), which seems the most suitable drive speed-/temperature-/noise-wise.

Thanks for your advice.
( Last edited by 2far; Feb 19, 2003 at 06:47 AM. )

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2003, 05:25 PM

I didn't think it would work either. I have an 80gig Seagate barracuda IV in mine with a western digital caviar 80gig in a firewire enclosure behind my monitor. I'd love to have all that room and more inside the cube, but since it wouldn't recognize it and whatnot why not put it in a firewire enclosure? lacie has a $1000 5400rpm 500gb firewire drive(s) you might be interested in too. or, for those storage addicts on a "budget" they have the 7200rpm 400gb $900 drive.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 07:58 AM

No amount of partitioning will get an ATA66 Apple to recognize all of a 200GB drive. It's a hardware limitation. You need the advanced ATA100 or ATA133 IDE to access more than the 137GB (120GB binary).

Plop a 120 in there and be happy or put it in a FW enclosure that doesn't use a fan.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules