Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 12" Powerbook Review

My 12" Powerbook Review (Page 2)
icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by lau_lau_lau:
Icruise, very informative and interesting review. love the photos, too (every time i see that sleek little number... i want it more! ) Just wondering if you could answer a most basic question: would you say that the screen size is big enough? baring in mind that, being a poor student, it will be my only computer and i will have no opportunity to hook it up to a bigger monitor (for space reasons, let alone the fact i can't afford a monitor as well!). i will mainly use it for logic audio and the internet. would i damage my eyes staring at it for a few hours every day for four years? answers on a postcard
It's the same screen as the ibook, and thousands of people use those as their main computer, so I don't really think that it is that hard to live with or anything. Some people seem to think it is too small, but I can't really agree. (Perhaps older eyes have trouble with smaller screens, but you sound like you wouldn't have that trouble yet).

I am closer to understanding complaints that the resolution isn't high enough, but coming from a Pismo with the same resolution, it doesn't really bother me. OS X is certainly very useable (unlike the older ibooks with their 800x600 screens). Whether you want to live with any computer for four years may be a different question, though. That's quite a long time in the computer world. You might be better off planning to sell it and upgrade in a couple of years.
( Last edited by icruise; Feb 18, 2003 at 06:44 PM. )

idyll
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 07:16 PM

I am a Graphic Designer myself and was deciding whether or not the screen would be too small... Well, for normal day to day work it is just perfect - not too big (mobily is a huge issue) yet not too small. But when I have a large project due I usually hook it up to my 21" external display. This is a great little machine and extremely fast for its size, but I don't think it will last four years. Since the new IBM processor is on the horizon we should see a change soon enough.. But for what you will be using the computer for, the screen will be perfect. I LOVE this machine (and I'm coming from the Windows world).. It's my first laptop .

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by escher:
I actually had a major problem with my Rev.A iBook. The backlight cable in the screen hinge broke.
Escher: I see. Was that a widespread problem? But I also have to mention, that I'm generally lucky with these things. I can't remember anything like that happening to me. And for this reason I also don't want/need extended warranty and the like.

As for the Rev.A 12-inch PowerBook, I'm simply hoping to get higher max RAM and DVI-out, and maybe some L3 cache and higher clock. The real reason for waiting is that the iBook/500 serves my current needs and I have other expenses with higher priority. Can't hurt to wait...
Sure, if you can wait, that's always better ... as for the RAM: my guess is that once 1GB DIMMs are available in that form factor, they will work in the 12" PB (according to Apple's tech note the chip set supports 1GB). For the rest (L3 cache etc) you're right to wait.

But I have no (short- to medium-term) hopes of replacing my laptop with a Palm device. As always, it all depends on your actual (and perceived) needs.
I know exactly how you feel about it. It was the same for me two years ago. Now I'm not so sure anymore, I might be able to get along with some advanced Palm in a year or so ... not replacing the 12" PB, but a subnotebook (didn't I say something similar when the 2001 iBook came out?)

greg

jindrich
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2003, 09:35 AM

hi Icruise,
many thanks for your awesome review.

I have a question you (or any other 12" owner) havent talk about much yet: Noise.

how does it behave in that respect? does the fan run very often? is it noticeable (like in a VERY quiet room)?

thanx

(among others, i work with audio apps and the fan in the titaniums annoys every audio user, up to the point they can be useless for location audio recording -fan noise getting into, highly sensible, mics)

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by 2far:
Was that a widespread problem? But I also have to mention, that I'm generally lucky with these things.
2far: Glad to hear you're more lucky than I am. The backlight problem is a design defect that Apple apparently failed to rectify even in later iBook revisions. See this thread on the Apple Discussion Boards for a rundown of the situation. I should have know better that skimping out on AppleCare. I had to repair the hinge twice on my PowerBook 520c, ages ago. I never had any issues with my Wallstreet PB, but I only had it for a year. My PowerBook 2400c developed a screen problem as well, but I sold it "as is," without repairing it, to buy the iBook/500.

Sure, if you can wait, that's always better ... as for the RAM: my guess is that once 1GB DIMMs are available in that form factor, they will work in the 12" PB (according to Apple's tech note the chip set supports 1GB).
It definitely looks like the Rev.A 12-inch PowerBook will be able to accomodate 1GB of RAM at some undetermined later date. If I needed a new laptop immediately that would be good enough. And VGA out is not an unacceptable limitation. However, it's nice to be able to wait for a change.

I might be able to get along with some advanced Palm in a year or so ... not replacing the 12" PB, but a subnotebook (didn't I say something similar when the 2001 iBook came out?)
We did have a similar discussion when the iBook (Dual USB) hit the street. The only catch is that Palm development isn't moving as fast as we expected not quite in the direction we need.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by escher:
Glad to hear you're more lucky than I am. The backlight problem is a design defect that Apple apparently failed to rectify even in later iBook revisions.
Thinking of it, my Rev. A iBook did have a creaky hinge, but otherwise no problems. I was not aware of the backlight problem. But it wouldn't have helped to wait, since they did not fix it in later revisions (no excuse for the defect, though).

It definitely looks like the Rev.A 12-inch PowerBook will be able to accomodate 1GB of RAM at some undetermined later date. If I needed a new laptop immediately that would be good enough. And VGA out is not an unacceptable limitation. However, it's nice to be able to wait for a change.
I'm thinking right along these lines. In the meantime, there's the Gefen VGA-ADC converter. In the long term I think a PowerBook will replace my desktop mac (Cube), because there's no near-silent desktop Mac to be expected any time soon (I still need a large screen at home, but also want a small portable Mac).

We did have a similar discussion when the iBook (Dual USB) hit the street. The only catch is that Palm development isn't moving as fast as we expected not quite in the direction we need.
Hehe, let's wait and see ... anyways, there's nothing equivalent to a Mac, so that's deal breaker no 1.

But Sony's Palm innovations and development speed are just amazing: Have you seen the Cli� NZ90? Palm OS 5, 320x480 color TFT, MP3, Audio & Video recording & playback, 2 Mpix camera with autofocus & flash, Bluetooth, IR, keyboard, 802.11b support, AV out, etc. Really cool. Now throw in a phone and a GPS, and I'll forget about the subnotebook

greg

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 04:16 AM

Now that I have my 12-inch I wanted to add my two cents without starting a new thread:

No dead pixels

Latch works fine, and when closed the gap between screen and case is even

Trackpad button doesn't stick

Keyboard feels great; this was one of our big selling points over the iBook

It's very quiet, except for the combo drive, which sounded like a WWII airplane engine tonight while playing a CD. My slot-load iMac's optical drive does that sometimes, though, it's probably just that the CD was off-balance.

As others have reported, the battery isn't quite flush with the case, but it's not a big deal.

As others have also noted, battery level is a somewhat inexact science. At one point it showed 94% charged with 34 minutes left, then two minutes later it was fully charged.

Now I just have to buy my AirPort gear to get it online!

Forum Links
Forum Rules