Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube or Tower

Cube or Tower
billybob128
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 11:57 AM

which would u guyes get and which can i upgrade the specs the most in

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

raskol
Banned
May 26, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
which would u guyes get and which can i upgrade the specs the most in
Cube is mostly a novelty now. A very cool novelty yes.

Tower is far more upgradable.

Depends on if you want style or power.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 01:04 PM

ok this is what i want ultimate power but amazin style could i combine the two

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by raskol:
W-A-T-C-H-M-O-R-E-T-E-L-E-V-I-S-I-O-N-E-A-T-M-O-R-E-H-A-M-B-U-R
G-E-R-S-D-R-I-N-K-M-O-R-E-B-U-D-W-E-I-S-E-R-D-E-S-T-R-O-Y-I-S-L-A-M
What a dick. Somebody should destroy you.

euphras
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
"What a dick. Somebody should destroy you."

How on-topic!

Quote:
"ok this is what i want ultimate power but amazin style could i combine the two"

What do you mean "combine the two"??? You can�t put the guts of a powermac into a cube. You can pretty well upgrade a cube (better graphic, faster G4) but you�re restricted to a 100 MHz FSB, AGP 2x and slow memory, which will be the bottleneck for system performance in all likelihood.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

CommonSense
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
It's off-topic, yes, but . . . were I to guess, I'd say this signature is satirical. Critical of the "average American's" mentality.

Or maybe that's what you didn't like . . . ?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 26, 2003, 10:36 PM

I see you're from LA, so you've probably heard of free speech right?

LoL, in all seriousness, take it with a grain of salt man, it's just nationalistic pride...where would we be without it?

BACK ON TOPIC: The PowerMac towers are MUCH more upgradable in terms of available slots, bus speeds, CPU speeds, and just about everything else. Plus, you get 2 optical drive spaces.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
LoL, in all seriousness, take it with a grain of salt man, it's just nationalistic pride...where would we be without it?
In a much, much better place, Adolf. Sorry, but bigotry is not OK. Not in any way, shape or form. I am perfectly fine with his hate-speak, as long as I'm allowed to state what an imbecile he sounds like. That's the point. Maybe you missed that angle. I am not calling for his sig removal or threatening to sue him, just pointing out the fact that he is obviously a small flacid penis. It's funny that you question me on freedom of speech, yet take no issue with his advocating the destruction of an entire race of humans. Oh wait, am I OT again... Where the fukk are your priorities?

Anyway, I'm sorry for the discussion deviation. Wait for the next line of Power Macs. Maybe they will fill both bills for you. It seems like a poor time to be buying a G4 right now.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 06:15 AM

ok so i couldnt have a dual processor in a cube so wat can i max it out to

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 11:47 AM

yes you could, i think. powerlogix makes a dual 800 or 1ghz card that can go into the cube, but you'd definitely need to add a fan. i love my cube and it's still running at its stock 450mhz with it's stock graphics card i'd love to upgrade it but don't see the need to really. what are you planning on doing with it? i edit family videos in imovie, do light photoshop 7 and manage some 2500 pics in iphoto and it's fine for me. it could surely stand to be faster, but i'm not seeing it as being criminally slow (at least not compared to my 400mhz tibook).

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 12:15 PM

pretty much the same bout the same as with my 800 iBook but sometime i feel as if that can lag sometimes and the "all knowin" brother believes i am stupid for wantin a cube as they were discontinued because they were crap i may want to use it for a few games too like unreal 2003

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 01:01 PM

hmm, that might be a problem then. the graphic card can't be upgraded to the latest/greatest.

raskol
Banned
May 27, 2003, 01:58 PM

In a much, much better place, Adolf. Sorry, but bigotry is not OK. Not in any way, shape or form. I am perfectly fine with his hate-speak, as long as I'm allowed to state what an imbecile he sounds like. That's the point. Maybe you missed that angle. I am not calling for his sig removal or threatening to sue him, just pointing out the fact that he is obviously a small flacid penis. It's funny that you question me on freedom of speech, yet take no issue with his advocating the destruction of an entire race of humans. Oh wait, am I OT again... Where the fukk are your priorities?
aaanorton, have you heard of sarcasm? It is often used to illicit laughter. I know my sig is not funny because it is true. However it is still sarcasm. I advocate the opposite of what my sig says. Get it?

It is supposed to make people that get their news from television that they are part of the machine. If I hate anyone it is the people on television.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by raskol:
aaanorton, have you heard of sarcasm?
As an educated adult, I, of course, saw your attempt at sarcsm. This, however, is the internet and any moron with half a brain can browse around and read things here. Are you confident enough in your approach that all who read this are "getting it"? Let's say that 50 people read your sig. What if half of them don't get it? I'll be more generous... What if only 10 don't? Only 5? What if 1 bigot out there reads it and says to himself "Right on, Brother. I read you loud and clear."? What if he reads your sig as an affirmation of his hatred? Is that OK with you? If it is, then right on, brother and have a nice day. For me, however, that is far too steep a price to pay for what amounts to a mediocre jab at our societal standards, at best.
Look, you wanted to say something. And you did so in your sig, which is now repeated 731 times (and counting) on these forums. I wanted to say something too. I wanted to make it clear that I do not think bigotry is OK, especially in this time of death and war based on hatred. So I did that, in this one thread (sorry, billybob128), because this is where I ran across your thing.
Now we've both had our say. This is hardly the appropriate place for an extended discussion of this subject. If you'd care to discuss bigotry and resposibility further, feel free to PM me.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 02:56 PM

ok people stayin on the topic cause this isnt a moral debate...

surely i could rip everything like graphics card out and put newer ones in
essentually gut it and put new stuff into it

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 03:54 PM

Well, here' a good place to start.
The graphics card is tricky. Only certain models will work/fit. There are definitely other threads about this in this forum. Have you tried a search?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by CommonSense:
It's off-topic, yes, but . . . were I to guess, I'd say this signature is satirical. Critical of the "average American's" mentality.

Or maybe that's what you didn't like . . . ?
Common sense told me that. I mean, mine, not you.

I would go with a Power Mac for its expansion. Pretty simple approach for me. By expansion, I mean, PCI slots.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 27, 2003, 11:42 PM

*Don't Worry...Be Happy*
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ChadC
Forum Regular
May 28, 2003, 12:39 AM

Ultimate power and amazing style is the essence of the Mac. If you are looking for this then go for the PowerMac because in terms of the style of a computer the Towers and the Cube are on the same level. What I think you are speaking of is the problem of Form or Functionality. In this case and according to what you want to do the PowerMac would as well be the ideal choice. The Cube is an exercise more in Form over Functionality compared to the PowerMac which is easily an exercise in Funtionality over Form.

A little off topic but I think it is well known that the Cube was introduced to test the market with a fanless, small, form based G4 (hence the following of the FP iMac) and that it was never to be upgraded or used as a true functional machine. Although I personally wish that it was because it is sooo damn nice looking.

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules