Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > CLI Text Adventure Interpreter

CLI Text Adventure Interpreter
gfxgeek
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2001, 12:59 AM

Is there a CLI Z-Machine interpreter available for OSX? Or something I can compile. Or is anyone up for the challenge of writing one?

My wife loves Text Adventure games and I do find myself have a retro craving for them. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would love to get my hands on something. Escpecially if if runs as a CLI app
PowerMac G4 450mhz 256mb RAM 2/26gb HD RagePro128 Internal Zip OS X.1
iMacDVSE Graphite 500mhz 256mb RAM 30gb HD OS X.1
Macintosh SE 1mb RAM 2/800k FD OS 6.0.3
Macintosh Quadra 610 25mhz 4mb RAM 230mb HD OS 7.1
Macintosh Quadra 605 25mhz 4mb RAM 80mb HD OS 7.1

Lordie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2001, 02:48 AM

You should be able to grab Frotz (a portable Infocom interpreter) from http://www.freshmeat.net as source.

Frotz would like a curses package better than what ships with *BSD. I don't know what Mac OS X ships with, but I installed ncurses, available from the GNU ftp site.

I had ncurses already installed for another project, so I downloaded Frotz, edited the Makefile (comment out CC=gcc and uncomment CC=cc), compiled, and tested the executable. It ran. I lack any Infocom files, but this should work for you.

Have fun!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2001, 02:54 AM

You can get a UNIX Frotz program that will run in the terminal here. Note that this is the source, and you have to compile it. You need to have ncurses.h and ncurses.a, which don't seem to be part of the default OS X install. If you get a copy of ncurses working, though, it compiles fine. Just cd into the source directory and type 'make' (without the quotes).

ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/frotz/frotz-2.41.tar.gz

You could also get MaxZip, which is a Mac program, so you won't have to compile it, but you will have to run it in the Classic layer as I don't think there is a Carbon version available. You do get the convenience of just double-clicking the story file that way, though, which is nice.

[argh, Lordie, did you have to be online at this ungodly hour to beat me to that post?]

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: CharlesS ]

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2001, 11:46 AM

Is this the same as the interpreter that runs old zork games? Cause months and months ago I found a program called jzip that plays games in the format of zork1.z. It's all running quite nicely on my computer, and is completely a CLI app. I ssh in from the lab and play zork whenever I get bored. I got it from Softrak. they have a list of some free games too. Zorks and a couple of others.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by kidtexas:
<STRONG>Is this the same as the interpreter that runs old zork games? Cause months and months ago I found a program called jzip that plays games in the format of zork1.z. It's all running quite nicely on my computer, and is completely a CLI app. I ssh in from the lab and play zork whenever I get bored. I got it from Softrak. they have a list of some free games too. Zorks and a couple of others.</STRONG>
Yep, that's it. I think Frotz is better than jzip, though. However, you're free to use whichever you like.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2001, 06:44 PM

I will surely check it out. This was the only one had seen (I wasn't up to compiling in the days when X first came out) and I was happy with my 4 zorks and hitchhiker. Which brings me to another point. Any good source for games?

gfxgeek  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2001, 08:18 PM

<STRONG>I will surely check it out. This was the only one had seen (I wasn't up to compiling in the days when X first came out) and I was happy with my 4 zorks and hitchhiker. Which brings me to another point. Any good source for games?</STRONG>
Ah yes, Specifically my wife really wants wishbringer.
PowerMac G4 450mhz 256mb RAM 2/26gb HD RagePro128 Internal Zip OS X.1
iMacDVSE Graphite 500mhz 256mb RAM 30gb HD OS X.1
Macintosh SE 1mb RAM 2/800k FD OS 6.0.3
Macintosh Quadra 610 25mhz 4mb RAM 230mb HD OS 7.1
Macintosh Quadra 605 25mhz 4mb RAM 80mb HD OS 7.1

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2001, 01:00 AM

<STRONG>I will surely check it out. This was the only one had seen (I wasn't up to compiling in the days when X first came out) and I was happy with my 4 zorks and hitchhiker. Which brings me to another point. Any good source for games?</STRONG>
ftp://ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/ has so many, you cannot imagine.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2001, 01:02 AM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2001, 01:04 AM

And as for the Infocom games, they're out of print, but you can get an old copy of the Masterpieces of Infocom CD, which contains every Infocom game except for Hitchhiker (which is downloadable) and Shogun (which isn't, but that's a grand total of one game you can't get), if you look around. You can get them on eBay quite often, although sometimes people on there will rack the price up a bit...

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2001, 02:49 AM

Sorry I forgot to write this next to the post, but my post 2 or 3 up with the random link is a link to a whole bunch of infocom games...

Forum Links
Forum Rules