Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?
blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 02:22 PM

Thought it would be interesting to see some estimated ship dates tracked here, for folks that ordered dual 2.5GHz units. Seems best way is to list date/time of order, changes from the normal config you may have made via BTO as well as the estiamted ship date you can find when you login to the Apple Store online to get status on your order.

For me:

My dual 2.5GHz config (ordered
+ 250GB HD
+ Radeon 9800 XT gfx board
+ Bluetooth

Order date = "06/09/2004 07:26 AM PST"

Est. ship date = "On or before 08/02/2004"

( It's interesting to note that while the order summary I printed out at end of order shows proper order, the confirmation e-mail and my status as checked on-line shows an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro rather than XT. Pro was the old topened card, not an option on these orders - I assume it is an order glitch that does not affect what I will receive. I've e-mailed Apple about this but have not gotten a response back yet here at about 36 hours out... )

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 02:53 PM

I ordered on the same date as you:

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5Ghz
Radeon 9800XT
Bluetooth
Airport Extreme Card
AppleCare Plan
.Mac

My estimated shipping date is on or before 08/02/2004.

My online details also list the same Radeon 9800 Pro and not the Radeon 9800XT and I too assume it was an error. Let me know what you hear from Apple.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 03:07 PM

Looks like you'll be hanging onto your g4 for another 2 months man

Hrmm dual g5 or powerbook 17" *sigh* this one's still on my mind.

Ironically if anything, I'd get the dual 2.5.. aint that nice?
Aloha

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 03:19 PM

On the subject of the Radeon 9800XT in my order, I checked the details page today and it actually does say Radeon 9800XT for my order. I had them correct a billing error, so maybe they fixed that then too.
MacBook Pro

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 03:34 PM

Ahh, indeed they did.

Mine now says XT rather than Pro. Happiness.

blakespot

memory-minus
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 05:36 AM

When I got my "Your order has been processed, the following items will be shipped" email the card showed up as 9800 XT rather than 9800 Pro as it did when I first placed the order, without inquiry to Apple.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 02:49 PM

ordered mine yesterday, says "july" for shipping

only problem is they are giving me to long to rethink my purchase lol

hmm, just checked it, now says on or before 2 august, it is CTO justs because of the bluetooth module...

anyone order one stock and have an earlier ship date? the bluetooth is not that necessary to me

action
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2004, 03:47 PM

hello,

i appologize to everyone in advance.

i don't want to piss on anyones parade but i just wanted to relay an experience on two items i purchased from apple.

the original 17 inch powerbook and dual 2.0 g5. both items were pushed back twice.

the g5 delay hurt me the most and i didn't receive it until the end of october eventhough i ordered it hours after the announcement.

what annoyed me the most was that both machines were available at the apple store while mine was delayed another week.

if you don't have to bto then i would purchase it from the apple store since they will have them sooner then anyone.

just a note of caution if you are ordering in anticipation of a project like i did.

chung lee

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
ordered mine yesterday, says "july" for shipping

only problem is they are giving me to long to rethink my purchase lol

hmm, just checked it, now says on or before 2 august, it is CTO justs because of the bluetooth module...

anyone order one stock and have an earlier ship date? the bluetooth is not that necessary to me
Is the Bluetooth module the only customization to your BTO order you made? If not, why do you lay blame to that component?

blakespot

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by action:
hello,

i don't want to piss on anyones parade but i just wanted to relay an experience on two items i purchased from apple.

the original 17 inch powerbook and dual 2.0 g5. both items were pushed back twice.

the g5 delay hurt me the most and i didn't receive it until the end of october eventhough i ordered it hours after the announcement.

what annoyed me the most was that both machines were available at the apple store while mine was delayed another week.

if you don't have to bto then i would purchase it from the apple store since they will have them sooner then anyone.

just a note of caution if you are ordering in anticipation of a project like i did.

chung lee
Newbie.

Us experienced Mac users already know there could be delays. I'll just have to use my G4 and Jaguar a little longer.
MacBook Pro

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2004, 11:45 PM

I ordered a Dual 2.5 GHz G5 with 1.0 GB RAM (2 x 512), one 250 GB HDD, Radeon 9800 XT, and Bluetooth module. The system was otherwise stock (8x SuperDrive, etc.).

I placed the order around 9:30 - 10:00 AM on June 9th (the morning they were announced), and my estimated ship date was (and still is) "On or before 08/02/2004". If it slips, I'll be annoyed but not devastated.

My order also was originally showing a 9800 Pro, but the part number was correct (for the 9800 XT part). The text has since been corrected to match the part number.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 13, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by action:
hello,

FWIW, I got my TiBook SD (the first laptop ever with a slot-load DVD burner) on time.

johnnydr87
Jun 14, 2004, 12:07 AM

Finally Switched! Woot!

Ordered:

2.5GHz PowerPC G5
512 MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
ATI Rad9800 XT w/256MB DDR
56k V.92 Modem
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Keyboard & Mouse
Mac OS X

Country Kit 065-4894

Same shipping days as you guys. Damnit. School starts on 8/8 and I've never had a mac before (don't know how to use it). oh well. yay

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 04:45 PM

Interestingly, today my ship date changed from "On or before 08/02/2004" (which it has been since ordering the system on 06/09/2004) to "On or before 07/30/2004".

Does this mean it will actually ship sooner? I'm hoping so.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by johnnydr87:
Finally Switched! Woot!

Ordered:

2.5GHz PowerPC G5...

Same shipping days as you guys. Damnit. School starts on 8/8 and I've never had a mac before (don't know how to use it). oh well. yay
Holy crap! That's one heluva start to Mac-dom. BTW, I hope you know you can get an educational discount as a student. You'll also want to get more RAM eventually.

Originally posted by DarylF2:
Interestingly, today my ship date changed from "On or before 08/02/2004" (which it has been since ordering the system on 06/09/2004) to "On or before 07/30/2004".

Does this mean it will actually ship sooner? I'm hoping so.
Yeah, I've seen that on other forums too. Seems like kind of a pointless date change this far in advance, but at least it didn't move to a later date.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 06:57 PM

I ordered mine through my campus computer store (institutional purchase), which sadly means I can't obsessively check my order status for the next month and a half.

2.5GHz, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth, no modem. Since I bought the top model, I had to forego the upgraded video card, but I can always replace that in the future.

johnnydr87
Jun 14, 2004, 08:15 PM

yeah, i got the EDU discount. Final price for the system came out around at $3,148....plus got a printer/scanner/copier....plus 2GB of extra RAM.. over $4000 altogether :-(

I will be paying off this system for the forseeable future. My next mac purchase: 6 years from now.

edit: got the same dates as you (7/30)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 09:14 PM

Yep, my delivery date changed to on or before 07/30/2004 too. Must of changed sometime this afternoon, I had checked it this morning.
MacBook Pro

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
FWIW, I got my TiBook SD (the first laptop ever with a slot-load DVD burner) on time.
Ditto. I ordered my custom-built dual-usb iBook and actually got it a few weeks earlier than the "on or before" date. Kudos to all the new lame-duck G5 owners; keep us informed.

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 11:14 PM

I really want my new G5. My dual 1.0 GHz G4 isn't cutting it for several of my latest game purchases (mainly Unreal Tournament 2004 and Command & Conquer: Generals)...

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2004, 11:50 PM

Annoyingly, my ship date is back to "On or before 08/02/2004" (yes, I check several times a day...).

Why do I feel like Apple is just teasing me?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 08:18 AM

min changed today to

On or before
07/30/2004

I still want to hear from someone that has ordered a stock 2.5, the bluetooth addition I added is not worth it if i can get the machine in a shorter amount of time.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 10:06 AM

Mine changed from 8/02/2004 to 7/30/2004 as well, recently.

I hear reports from a user who noticed that his card was just charged (not just an auth / hold). This user called Apple to inquire as to why his card was charged more than a month out from stated delivery date and they said that apparently they are far ahead of schedule on G5 production and that that the unit may ship in 3-5 days.

Whether this account is true or not, I cannot verify. I know my card has not been charged, but I see the $3,300 auth sitting there on the account (but then the total for my order was ~3,600 - not sure why only $3,300 is auth'ed)

blakespot

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 10:19 AM

Mine is back to "On or before 07/30/2004". My card has not only not been charged, but I'm not even seeing the ~$3,800 authorization amount now (it was showing as of late last week). My order at the Apple Store still seems fine, though.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by blakespot:
they said that apparently they are far ahead of schedule on G5 production and that that the unit may ship in 3-5 days.
I would dearly love for this to be true. Not because I'd get my own Power Mac early, but to stop the complaints that "Apple never ships anything on time!"

It would be nice to put that one to rest, along with "Apple only releases new hardware on Tuesdays" and "Apple never releases new hardware until promotions expire." If I hear either one of those again I will have an aneurysm.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I would dearly love for this to be true. Not because I'd get my own Power Mac early, but to stop the complaints that "Apple never ships anything on time!"

It would be nice to put that one to rest, along with "Apple only releases new hardware on Tuesdays" and "Apple never releases new hardware until promotions expire." If I hear either one of those again I will have an aneurysm.
I betcha Apple will release new displays shortly after the promotions expire.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I betcha Apple will release new displays shortly after the promotions expire.
Pffft. I heard that one last year too!

< hugs new Cinema Display purchased with Brilliant Savings promotion >

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
IIt would be nice to put that one to rest, along with "Apple only releases new hardware on Tuesdays" and "Apple never releases new hardware until promotions expire." If I hear either one of those again I will have an aneurysm.
Apple Announces new hardware on Tuesdays!

I just HAD to say it. By the way, it's a little known fact that the very first Mac was announced on a Tuesday.

Oh no, I have an action required status on my order, something about phoning my credit card company. Good ol' VISA always seems to be paranoid about the big purchases I make. I wonder if this means Apple was trying to charge me for the G5. I ordered on June 9th.
MacBook Pro

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 03:12 PM

But the the G5 was announced on wednesday the 9th...

cal6n
Jun 15, 2004, 05:17 PM

Mine's still showing on or before 02/08/04 (2.5 dual with 250 Gb and Bluetooth)

(We write our dates the logical way in the UK)

2Gb of memory from crucial just turned up though
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 05:29 PM

Dang it, the payment problem on my order was just that VISA declined the authorization/hold amount, not the actual payment. Ho well, that's fixed now. I thought it was too early for them to request the payment, but you never know...
MacBook Pro

johnnydr87
Jun 16, 2004, 01:27 AM

if it came early i'd be incredibly happy......piss in my pants happy

Sealobo
Jun 17, 2004, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by cal6n:

(We write our dates the logical way in the UK)

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2004, 10:31 AM

I checked the status of my dual G5 2.5 Apple Store order this morning, as I do every morning, and noticed that it had been cancelled. An identical order has been placed and appears below the cancelled order.

I called Apple and they say that happens as an internal thing when a part # changes or such, and that it would not affect my position in the queue of orders. I see no difference in part #'s between the two itemized lists, however.

Odd. Anyone else?

blakespot

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 11:14 AM

I just checked my order Blakespot and I have a cancelled item and an open item too. And like you, I don't see a change in any of the part #'s.
MacBook Pro

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 12:38 PM

I noticed the exact same this this morning, blakespot. I'm glad that I am not the only one seeing this...

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 12:48 PM

I as well

johnnydr87
Jun 17, 2004, 01:00 PM

and count me in

johnnydr87
Jun 20, 2004, 07:22 PM

holy crap. i just saw a powermac for the first time and a 23" cinema display at compusa. They're so beautiful. THE IMACE is so beautiful. THE POWERBOOK EVERYTHINGGGGGGg

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 06:47 AM

Yes, waiting can indeed drive a person insane.

blakespot

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2004, 01:53 PM

Yes, waiting can indeed drive a person insane.

blakespot
I already went insane waiting for my 17"powerbook last year. This time I was smart. This time I took special madicine...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 10:14 PM

i was just looking around at a few sites and www.cdw.ca lists the dual 2.5 as "4-6 days" - yeah right - if you believe that one i have some land in central florida.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 07:51 AM

I'm going to buy the dual 2.5 as well but I've never purchased an Airport product before. What do I need? Should I purchase the internal Airport Extreme Card as well? I think the case already has a built-in antena or does that connect to the Card?

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
I'm going to buy the dual 2.5 as well but I've never purchased an Airport product before. What do I need? Should I purchase the internal Airport Extreme Card as well? I think the case already has a built-in antena or does that connect to the Card?
Let's keep this a G5 2.5 ship date-related thread, shall we?

blakespot

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 08:21 AM

Let's keep this a G5 2.5 ship date-related thread, shall we?

blakespot

Is it SO hard to either type YES or NO?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 09:15 AM

get it if you need it really, I have wires run to where mine will go so I did not get a airport card, nor do I see a need for one anytime in the near future..

my shipping has not budged at 7/30

grrr

redeye78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 05:47 PM

I heard a rumor that the 2.5s were going to be shipped to the retail stores first then to the pre-orders? Is this true?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by redeye78:
I heard a rumor that the 2.5s were going to be shipped to the retail stores first then to the pre-orders? Is this true?
It usually doesn't work quite that simply. Apple doesn't fulfill one kind of orders, then move to the next. Of the first machines, they'll ship some to retail stores, some to preorders, some to edu customers, and so on. So yes, some retail stores will have them before everyone who preordered gets theirs, and there will be much wailing and pulling of hair on these boards. But it doesn't mean that ALL stores get ALL the machines they ordered before ANY preorders are filled, or that all edu orders will be filled before the stores get machines, etc.

blakespot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 09:48 AM

I just called Apple and switched up the Radeon 9800XT to the new GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (adding $150 to order price) - the new Est. ship date:

"On or before 08/31/2004"

...but in some cases, the 6800 is twice as fast as the 9800XT - seems worth the wait...

blakespot

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 10:05 AM

I don't know that I can last 2 more months lol

Forum Links
Forum Rules