Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I've had nothing but trouble with this iPod shuffle since I got it.

I've had nothing but trouble with this iPod shuffle since I got it.
Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 02:12 AM

Fedex dropped off my 1gig iPod shuffle this afternoon. I dutifully followed the instructions and put in the CD and ran the autoexe (oh, I'm on a XP SP2 PC) and inserted the iPod into a usb port when prompted. Windows quickly recognized the devise and installed it but the updater just sat and spun forever with the message, "Your iPod has been connected; waiting for system to recognize device" or something like that. Finally I unplugged the iPod and it game me some sort of error message and I looked at the ipod in My Computer; it had a file on it called itouch_crash_lox.txt or something like that but it's completely empty. The computer recongnizes it as a perfectly good flash drive, but I can't get the ipod updater utility or anything to recognize it. Does anybody have any suggestions? Send it back?

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 02:22 AM

After fiddling around with it, I finally got it to tell me it needs to be formatted. So I click format and now it's been spinning forever saying "waiting for iPod..." Grrrr... Apple products suck on Windows.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 02:24 AM

Take it to your local Apple store and restore it on a Mac. Then try it again on your Windows machine.

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Apple products suck on Windows.
Let's just be honest, EVERYTHING sucks on Windows!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 03:01 AM

Try to reformat it again.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2005, 10:56 AM

I think a Mac mini would complement your iPod just fine

-t

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 11:04 AM

No, my PC will kill a Mac mini and I'm not driving 270 miles to take it to the nearest Mac store. I'm going to try to find a buddy with a mac though.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2005, 11:13 AM

Uhh, Windows sucks. Luckily, the shuffle went off without a hitch on my PB. Didn't even need to add any software.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 11:42 AM

Do you have itunes installed on your pc? Can you see the ipod shuffle in itunes? my 1 gig shuffle works great on my ibook.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

Dalhectar
Feb 1, 2005, 02:14 PM

I had to reboot after upgrading to ITunes 4.7.1 for Windows to detect the iPod. I also had to shut down the PC since Windows did not eject the iPod. Second time though, it acted more normally.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2005, 03:16 PM

iTunes 4.7.1 is your answer.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 06:45 PM

No, iTunes 4.7.1 was not the answer because I had it updated weeks before I got the iPod. Apple tech support is really first class (as most reviews attest) and they figured out what I needed to do. For whatever reason, the installer on the CD wasn't functioning normally so they had me download the iPod Setup and a fresh copy of iTunes. Then I uninstalled the current apps, went into Program Files and manually deleted the folders the uninstall program left behind which carried the buggy driver installed by the CD, then installed the fresh proggies. Then I had to go into Computer Managment and format the disk to FAT32 and as soon as it was done iTunes promply recognized the player and all is well in the world. I'm listening to it right now.

edit: after reading this thread a bit I kinda wanna slap turtle777 around a bit. How on Earth can a sucktacularily performing mini compare to a 2.2ghz Athlon64 rig with a gig of ram, 360gb hdd space, a 16x Dual layer DVD burner and a 6800GT overclocked to Ultra? Granted, it cost twice as much as the mini but sheesh. I appreciate the Mac zealotry, guys, what with that being where my roots are (old skool mac dude: think PM 6400) but I'm very happy on the PC side.
( Last edited by Zimmerman; Feb 1, 2005 at 06:54 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2005, 07:14 PM

edit: after reading this thread a bit I kinda wanna slap turtle777 around a bit. How on Earth can a sucktacularily performing mini compare to a 2.2ghz Athlon64 rig with a gig of ram, 360gb hdd space, a 16x Dual layer DVD burner and a 6800GT overclocked to Ultra? Granted, it cost twice as much as the mini but sheesh. I appreciate the Mac zealotry, guys, what with that being where my roots are (old skool mac dude: think PM 6400) but I'm very happy on the PC side.
Mwahahahahaha !

Maybe you should figure out first what this smiley means:

-t

fhoubi
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 07:34 PM

LOL
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

ender2002
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 10:10 PM

just get a mac. duh.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 02:44 AM

Your PC could be 400 GHz with 3 TB of RAM and a 100x DVD burner, but it would still be running Windows.

Maybe I'm just biased because my job is fixing and otherwise managing Windows computers all day...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 02:58 AM

but I'm very happy on the PC side.
Hence the thread on your displeasure on shuffle not working, though you seem to be one of the very few to have any issues.

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Hence the thread on your displeasure on shuffle not working, though you seem to be one of the very few to have any issues.
You didn't read my post, bucko. Windows is working fine. The installer on the CD wasn't functioning properly.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 10:22 AM

Mac users didn't need to add any installers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 10:57 AM

That is just incomprehensible for PC user's

-t

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 12:03 PM

Thats because Apple Corp. is your Microsoft. oooooh...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 02:25 PM

Actually, Apple Corp is my Apple Corp.

ender2002
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 02:37 PM

go to some peecee forum and complain about how bad your computer is. jeez.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 07:37 PM

You guys are pathetic mocking windows. It isnt windows. It's Apple's software. I own an iPod photo 40GB and iTunes CONSTANTLY freezes when I am updating or connecting my iPod. This isnt windows itself, because every other program is responsive. It's bad coding on Apple's side sadly.

Chris

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 10:50 PM

thats what ya get for using windows

SuperNova

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
You guys are pathetic mocking windows. It isnt windows. It's Apple's software. I own an iPod photo 40GB and iTunes CONSTANTLY freezes when I am updating or connecting my iPod. This isnt windows itself, because every other program is responsive. It's bad coding on Apple's side sadly.

Chris

Hey, what chipset are you using? I have found that the VIA chipset often has issues with the iPod. My old Asus board was a pain to work with. After playing with the PCI timing in the BIOS all was well.

P.S. I have used PCs since my first 8086, macs since the Mac IIci, and I think both are pretty decent. I am neither a Windows zealot or Mac zealot. Some folks here don't know what the heck they are talking about regarding the stability of windows. The biggest issue with Windows is poor programming of software, and the WIDE variety of hardware that Windows must support. This is where Apple has an advantage...common hardware across the board.

From a PC perspective. A mini might work well with your PC as a way to try out both systems or simply as a media device, freeing your PC from dealing with music,etc. This is what I finally did. I bought a Power Mac dual 1.8, but I took it back to buy a mini and build an Athlon64 PC.

Zimmerman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 01:53 AM

I'm using the VIA K8T800 chipset. It's a Gigabyte microATX mobo in an Antec Aria case. I've been looking for a good Pro or nForce3 250 substitute.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by lamewing:
Hey, what chipset are you using? I have found that the VIA chipset often has issues with the iPod. My old Asus board was a pain to work with. After playing with the PCI timing in the BIOS all was well.

P.S. I have used PCs since my first 8086, macs since the Mac IIci, and I think both are pretty decent. I am neither a Windows zealot or Mac zealot. Some folks here don't know what the heck they are talking about regarding the stability of windows. The biggest issue with Windows is poor programming of software, and the WIDE variety of hardware that Windows must support. This is where Apple has an advantage...common hardware across the board.

From a PC perspective. A mini might work well with your PC as a way to try out both systems or simply as a media device, freeing your PC from dealing with music,etc. This is what I finally did. I bought a Power Mac dual 1.8, but I took it back to buy a mini and build an Athlon64 PC.
My problem isnt the chipset, as windows recognises the ipod, as do all the other ipod programs I use, like XPlay for example, with no freezing.

I think iTunes is a great program and Apple has done very well coding it on the PC side, but there is obvious lag when it comes to the windows version of itunes.

Chris

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 4, 2005, 09:25 PM

1200 posts , registered 2 years

and he uses a pc ?

something's up

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Let's just be honest, EVERYTHING sucks on Windows!

LOL so true.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 01:45 PM

edit: after reading this thread a bit I kinda wanna slap turtle777 around a bit. How on Earth can a sucktacularily performing mini compare to a 2.2ghz Athlon64 rig with a gig of ram, 360gb hdd space, a 16x Dual layer DVD burner and a 6800GT overclocked to Ultra?
I don't really know, but taking 24 hours for something as simple as a software install and a flash drive format seems spectacularly sucktastic performance to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules