Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ati X850 Xt ???

Ati X850 Xt ???
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2005, 08:52 PM

This is a new BTO option for $360. How does this card stack up to the others?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 10:04 PM

I doubt its been benchmarked yet, but I presume it will be slightly faster than the X800XT, which is already faster in most situations than the GeForce 6800 Ultra. Plus, it doesn't occupy the adjacent PCI slot.

G5man
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I doubt its been benchmarked yet, but I presume it will be slightly faster than the X800XT, which is already faster in most situations than the GeForce 6800 Ultra. Plus, it doesn't occupy the adjacent PCI slot.
What happend to the Ultra GeForce 6800!!!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2005, 10:35 PM

Good riddance.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 11:08 PM

That's the card you want for Battlefield 2.

nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 06:28 AM

x850 xt is out? any places i can go to get it for my g5?

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz
x850 xt is out? any places i can go to get it for my g5?
Apple.

nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 06:52 AM

its only a BTO option with new G5's, i don't think you can buy it alone... correct me if i'm wrong...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 09:46 AM

Yes, the X850XT seems to only be BTO option. Of course you can always buy the X800XT as a retail card, which is probably very similar. Have to wait for benchmarks.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Markarian421
Jun 29, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz
its only a BTO option with new G5's, i don't think you can buy it alone... correct me if i'm wrong...
The Apple store lists the 800 delivery time as 7-10 days, which I'm pretty sure is longer than it was a couple weeks ago when I was considering buying one. If one were given to wild speculation, one could speculate that it will soon be replaced in the Apple store's lineup as well. But I've probably jinxed it by saying anything.
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

G5man
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 01:00 PM

do you think IBM is slowing down Apple production because of the Apple switch?

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2005, 02:50 PM

I've not been able to find the new card for sale for the Mac. Even at the ATI website, http://www.ati.com/products/mac.html they don't list that model, yet, as a Mac option.

It looks sweet though.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by G5man
do you think IBM is slowing down Apple production because of the Apple switch?
What the crap does that have to do with the X850?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 03:05 PM

Nothing. My guess is it is related to quantity of the X850 that they have been or are about to be
supplied with. Frankly, I'd love one for my G5.

gangster
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 04:32 PM

$360 is a good price for it, you cant buy the pc version for that even taking into account its on top of the 9600s cost. the 6800 is still there to @$360.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2005, 04:52 PM

Where are you seeing it at $360? Educational Discount? The only place I've been able to see this card is with a BTO box and at $400. I must be missing something.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

gangster
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
Where are you seeing it at $360? Educational Discount? The only place I've been able to see this card is with a BTO box and at $400. I must be missing something.

J.

its in the ed options list

i just ordered it with the 2.0s 30 min ago. will report when i get it.

EDIT:

says ships in 2-4 days so i guess they have inventory...?
( Last edited by gangster; Jun 29, 2005 at 05:36 PM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 05:08 PM

Yeah, NewEgg has Radeon X850XTs for $400-$500. But those are all two-slot versions - somehow, ATI's managed to make the Mac version a single-slot card! And that is in addition to putting the ADC port on there to support the older displays that many people still have. Excellent job, ATI!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 29, 2005, 11:44 PM

The new Geforce 7800 is out, not yet for Mac. It has better power consumption nd takes less space than the 6800 with twice performance, faster than 6800 SLI. I want that in my Power Mac.

voo
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
The new Geforce 7800 is out, not yet for Mac. It has better power consumption nd takes less space than the 6800 with twice performance, faster than 6800 SLI. I want that in my Power Mac.
Those are PCI-E, I read somewhere NVIDIA won't be making them for AGP...

G5man
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2005, 11:38 AM

however I checked NVIDIA's website and it will support OS X meaning it could be for the Macintel machines.

voo
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2005, 07:24 AM

Since those will obvously support PCI-E by the time those machines are out NVIDIA will have another new card out as its atleast a good year away.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 1, 2005, 01:26 PM

I....love..... ....kittens.

JonahLee
Jul 1, 2005, 01:42 PM

Looks to be a speed bumped X800, and with the Mac ATI Accelerator you can actually bring your x800 up the specs of the x850 pretty easily, don't know how good that is for you card, but if you really want the speed.
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

Joe Cool
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2005, 03:14 PM

The card can be purchased as a service part for around $500
If you want it that bad see if an apple dealer can hook you up.

paulc
Jul 1, 2005, 04:07 PM

Wasn't the 850XT supposed to be a PCI-E card? Obviously, this is a special, made to order "regular" AGP card. What REALLY bugs me is that it's got an ADC connector. As does the retail, PCI 800XT card. I refuse to spend that kind of money on a video card only to be saddled with a long discontinued connector.

Someone who knows more than I said that it was not that challenging to add PCI-E to the "regular" motherboards; that it was a simple and straightforward process. If it was to be included, it seems that means the high end video card "market" finally will open to Mac users!

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2005, 04:11 PM

ADC-to-VGA and ADC-to-DVI adapters are very cheap. I don't know why you would be "saddled" by ADC.

(BTW, ADC stands for Apple Display Connector, so saying "ADC connector" is redundant.)

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 08:27 PM

I've got a 23" Cinema Display and a 15" Apple Display that I've been using with the ADC to DVI Adapters. I welcome this Card with an ADC on it. My Cinema display lost several useful features using it with the Adapter. Now it will function fully if I get this card!

Originally Posted by paulc
Wasn't the 850XT supposed to be a PCI-E card? Obviously, this is a special, made to order "regular" AGP card. What REALLY bugs me is that it's got an ADC connector. As does the retail, PCI 800XT card. I refuse to spend that kind of money on a video card only to be saddled with a long discontinued connector.

Someone who knows more than I said that it was not that challenging to add PCI-E to the "regular" motherboards; that it was a simple and straightforward process. If it was to be included, it seems that means the high end video card "market" finally will open to Mac users!
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2005, 10:58 PM

Hell yeah.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by paulc
Wasn't the 850XT supposed to be a PCI-E card? Obviously, this is a special, made to order "regular" AGP card. What REALLY bugs me is that it's got an ADC connector.

Wow, that's all that bugs you? What bugs me is that I can't buy this card retail for my new 2.3Ghz PowerMac that I bought before this card was available as BTO. Also what bugs me is that the x800 is still available retail and cost a lot more and it's a slower card. Not by much but it's a slower card.
I need a card for Doom3 but don't want to get burned buying the x800XT only to find out that the x850XT becomes a retail option. Oh well, what to do? That's the computer world for ya.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

R!K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 06:19 PM

I've just ordered my first Mac, a dual 2.7, with the X850.

In the UK the X850 option was +£249 which I though was a bargain, especially given than the Mac version of the X800 still retails at about £360.

My order went almost immediately to manufacturing so I think it's fair to assume they have the X850's in stock

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 01:22 AM

I'm ready to get the x800 for my 2.3Ghz G5 but does anyone know if ATI is going to release the x850 for retail sales?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 8, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by gizzard
ADC-to-VGA and ADC-to-DVI adapters are very cheap. I don't know why you would be "saddled" by ADC.

(BTW, ADC stands for Apple Display Connector, so saying "ADC connector" is redundant.)
If you mean over $70, then yes. But still freakin' annoying.

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2005, 03:04 PM

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 8, 2005, 04:34 PM

Oh. Crap. You're right. I was thinking the other way around.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 08:26 PM

Isn't the other way around more like over 150 dollars? ADC supplied power and everything, so there is a lot you have to put in that adapter. Personally, I think it's awesome that they are putting ADC on there, especially because of how much cheaper converters are for that direction.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

a64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 05:46 AM

Lastest Nvidia GeForce 7800 series cards are now availble for PC. and i presume Mac version will be avail soon. 7800 is much better card then Radeon X850XT or 6800 Ultra.. personally i prefer 6800Ultra over X850XT.

Anyone tried using PC video cards on Mac? i heard it was possible on 9700/9800 series with bios flash. If its possible, i can edit the clock speeds on the bios (since Mac doesn't allow any overclocking) to overclock the card.. which means you can have the fastest video card avail for Mac..

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2005, 01:16 PM

If you have a ati card you can overclock it with http://macupdate.com/download.php/15...1.0.5a.dmg.bin, been using it for awhile. I overclocked the card in my TiBook and the 9800xt in my G5. But I still haven't seen an app to overclock any nvidias for the mac. So @ a64 you dont need to flash an ati card just use the overclock app I linked to.

wow just noticed that my post counts all messed up!

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

R!K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 11:46 AM

Some info and speed tests over at Barefeats, here:

http://www.barefeats.com/radx850.html

Note though that they haven't actually tested an X850, they've tested an overclocked X800 running at X850 speed. It's fair to assume then that the real X850 may be even better.
[FONT=Lucida Console]G5 Dual 2.7, 4.5Gb, 250Gb HD, X850XT, 23" ACD[/FONT]

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by R!K
Note though that they haven't actually tested an X850, they've tested an overclocked X800 running at X850 speed. It's fair to assume then that the real X850 may be even better.
Eh, not really. The only difference between the two cards that has any bearing on performance is clock speed, and the X850XT only has a 20 MHz faster core speed and a 40 MHz faster memory speed. That doesn't translate to much. The only other difference is that ATI's using some new manufacturing tricks to reduce heat and thus the need for loud cooling. This is all according to a review at [H]ard|OCP.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

R!K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno
Eh, not really. The only difference between the two cards that has any bearing on performance is clock speed, and the X850XT only has a 20 MHz faster core speed and a 40 MHz faster memory speed. That doesn't translate to much. The only other difference is that ATI's using some new manufacturing tricks to reduce heat and thus the need for loud cooling. This is all according to a review at [H]ard|OCP.
Ahh right, thanks for the info

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2005, 11:47 PM

Just FYI, I ordered a Dual 2.7GHz box (upped: RAM to 1GB, BT, and of course X850). Estimated time was 3-5 business days. Ordered on the 7th, it shipped on the 13th. So it looks like they have decent stock! Honestly I was expecting to wait 2 weeks due to it being a pretty new and high-end part but I guess ATI pulled through.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

G5man
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 12:04 AM

post pics when you can please!

R!K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by JustinD
Just FYI, I ordered a Dual 2.7GHz box (upped: RAM to 1GB, BT, and of course X850). Estimated time was 3-5 business days. Ordered on the 7th, it shipped on the 13th. So it looks like they have decent stock! Honestly I was expecting to wait 2 weeks due to it being a pretty new and high-end part but I guess ATI pulled through.
SNAP! I irdered on the 7th too, shipped on the 13th and I've just checked my order tracking and its due here today!

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 08:38 PM

Oh man. As if this week couldn't get any worse...

So since I ordered my PM on the 7th I've been checking the order status. On the night of the 14th, it showed it was shipped, with a FedEx tracking number. All day on the 15th (a Friday) I was checking FedEx to see where it was - and nothing showed up. Not all weekend either. So I call up FedEx Sunday night and they have zero on the tracking number that Apple gave me.

The helpful FedEx guy asked me for the destination address and such. He said that there WAS a 58 lb. box from Apple heading there but he could not pull up name information. No problem, since I'm the only one that orders computer equipment to the address. He said the tracking number was different from the one that Apple gave me.

So I took the new number, punched it into FedEx, and sure enough it says 'barcode unreadable, replaced'. I assumed that was why Apple's tracking number wasn't giving me any info - you know, maybe the label got torn on the way to the truck or something. I was all happy, it had been on it's way for a few days and would be here today (Tuesday)!

Spent the day cleaning my desk, vacuuming, tidying up wires. Went out in the super hot, humid NYC day (and I have a bad bad cold no less!) to CompUSA to get a pair of Z-2300 speakers (they're monstrous man, the sound is incredible) and a new keyboard. Picked up the Dell 20" LCD I had delivered. Dropped it all off at home, set it up.

Finally the FedEx page showed that my PM was delivered! I head over to work to pick it up. I'm sweating BULLETS because of the obscene weather outside. I lift up that bad boy, toss it into a cab, head home...

... drag it upstairs, finish setting up the speakers and LCD, and as I take the scissors to the top of the (new, much thinner, smaller) PowerMac box, the line "Dual 2.0GHz" catches my eye on the side label.

I ordered a Dual 2.7...

I plop down and read the label and my heart sinks. DP2.0/400GB/9650/blah blah blah. Totally NOT my PowerMac. Maybe they got the label wrong, or like, the box, or some other nonsensical thing, right? I grab my iBook, punch in the Apple Order Number on this box, and it comes up as a DP2.0. I compare this to MY Order Number that Apple e-mailed me and they're different...

And I'm like, "oh, fsck you." By you, I mean myself, because I completely forgot that weeks ago I had placed an order for THIS PowerMac for one of our employee' husband. I obviously brought home, up the stairs, in the scorching heat, the wrong computer.

Then I'm like "But what the hell, what about that tracking nonsense?" Since the tracking number the FedEx guy gave me reported that the barcode was unreadable, I just thought that the tracking number Apple gave me was void. I mean, I was tracking it for three days and nothing was going on - even though it was a weekend, they had a full Friday to at least SCAN the damn thing...

So I hit up Apple's website again, punch in my order number, click on the FedEx tracking number I THOUGHT was void...

... and this past Monday, it started moving. Scheduled delivery date of this Friday.

I let out a huge sigh, thought about throwing my fist through the wall (this has been a REALLY bad week due to other things too!), reconsidered, took the impostor PowerMac back to work, complained to my coworker that "NOW I HATE THAT (employee's husband's name) EVEN MOOOOORE!"

Yeah, so that was my Tuesday. I'm PowerMac-less and now I gotta trudge through another two (and a half or so) days until it gets delivered. And I was silly for assuming. And I always say, when you assume you make an ass out of you and Uma Thurman. I mean, me. Yeah.

Grrrrrr. *bitter*
*justin

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 08:48 PM

Pass him a beer. He more than deserves it. Hot as heck down here too in sunny florida.

Cheers,

J...
Converted 4/29/05

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 12:40 PM

Hey kids,

Just finished setting up my new dual 2.7 with 850xt...

In short, it positively pwn3s. I'm a UT2k4 guy, I play on Cain's Lair Onslaught server. Fired that sucker up, pushed all the options all the way up (except character models and physics - left those normal. Why waste the power right?) and set it to 1680x1050 on my new Dell 20". Holy crap, the carnage is gorgeous. Not one hint of slowdown on a 32 player match on a huge map! Even tried some REALLY intense maps and they played without a hitch.

If you're interested, I posted a quickie review on the whole machine here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?p=2619552

Yeah baby!
*justin

Forum Links
Forum Rules