Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Thanks for sending me a SCRATCHED NANO!

Thanks for sending me a SCRATCHED NANO!
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 10:22 AM

Man, just got my nano via FedEx. Opened that bad boy up and - IT'S ALL SCRATCHED UP!

Yessir, on the back there are little pockmarks, like the thing was hit with hail. On the front, there are two deeeep scratches on the scroll wheel button, and hairline scratches all over the face.

This is, quite possibly, the most disappointed I've ever been with an Apple product. I'm pretty damn shocked. And I can't do a standard RMA - I have to send the crap one back before the release a new one via FedEx.

Godammit, thought this day couldn't get any worse.

Pics below - they hardly due the damage justice, as its hard to get a good shot because of the glossiness of the materials.

http://hush.cc/nanoscratch_front.jpg
http://hush.cc/nanoscratch_back.jpg
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 10:56 AM

Take a pill, call apple and exchange it.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

JustinD  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Take a pill, call apple and exchange it.
I said in my posting that I can't do a standard RMA - extrapolate that using some sense and you can see that I've obviously already talked to them.

Also, you can bite me, where do you get off telling me to 'take a pill'? I'm out like $260 for a cosmetically damaged product from a company that prides itself on looks. Plus this wouldn't be the first cosmetic issue that Apple has had with their products - I just hope this is an isolated case and not a more widespread issue. Besides, I think it's perfectly reasonable that I be upset about this.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 11:27 AM

Saying "you can bite me" isn't going to help...

Its obvious from your post that you are upset, taking it out on someone on the internet who has advised you to calm down isn't on. Yes it is reasonable to be upset, but hey, nobody has died or anything. So calm down, you have come here to ask for advice, so accept it when it's given. Then we can all be happy and get along, OK?

If they have to have the damaged one back before they send a new one, then send it, at least they are not telling you to bite them. You said in your post that you are going to get a replacement, its just that you have to send the bad one back first. No problems there, so go ahead.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 12:25 PM

Wow with your charming attitude you are going to find a ton of people here willing to help you.

What answer will make you happy? Some button you can push to fix it? If you can send it back and get a new one the only downside is you are out of an iPod for a little bit.

Sounds like you are bitching to make yourself feel better about a simple mistake. Shut up, return it, get your money back or a new one, get on with life.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 12:38 PM

I'm with the pill guy.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

vdrummer
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 01:50 PM

FedEx just delivered my black nano -it's engraved and in purr-fect condition.

I've lived my entire life without a nano, and if I had to wait a week or so to get a scratched one exchanged, I think I could handle it, pill or no pill; maybe a nice cocktail would help, though.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JustinD
And I can't do a standard RMA - I have to send the crap one back before the release a new one via FedEx.

It is people like you that made me quit retail. Well, that plus the hours, but dealing with people who are completly unable to cope with any disappointment realy sucked.

You can send it back to apple, and once recieved you can get a new one.

Also you can take it to any apple retail store and exchange it there ( unless it is one of the engraved ones).

Product defects happen, and sometimes you have to return product. That's life man.

mindwaves
Sep 12, 2005, 02:56 PM

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 10:09 PM

Yeah, mine got some kind of blotted thing on the front after a day's use. Looks like I dropped some acid on it and it was burned. I'm not sure it came like this, so I'm hesitant to return it.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
Yeah, mine got some kind of blotted thing on the front after a day's use. Looks like I dropped some acid on it and it was burned. I'm not sure it came like this, so I'm hesitant to return it.
So what, just tell them you just opened it.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 13, 2005, 10:19 PM

Must suck to be you. Go into a store and DOA the unit. They'll take it back. Now put a sock in it you big weenie.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 05:46 PM

Eh. Mine is scratched a bit already from being in my pocket in active use. I figure a Nano is more useful if I actually use it and not put it on a crystal pedestal to stare at.
<This space under renovation>

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 09:46 PM

i'll give you 50 bucks for your scratched nano.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 09:55 PM

sorry to hear about your scratched nano, at least you still have yours. Mine was supposed to be delivered yesterday and now i don't and even the f**king UPS have no clue.

what can brown do for you?

nothing...

Forum Links
Forum Rules