Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > moving RAID btwn Macs?

moving RAID btwn Macs?
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 06:51 PM

Hey all!

I have a Dual 2.7GHz PowerMac with a 1.5TB internal raid (4x Hitcahi 400GB drives, SATA) running off of a Tempo 4+4 SATA PCI card.

But I want a Quad. ("Why?" "Because me wantee." What else is there to say.)

In my head, it would be easy to move this RAID over, but I'd like to get some feedback first. The G5 Drive Bracket in my current machine doesn't fit in the new Quads. If I were to pick up an SATA Storage Tower from Addonics:

http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/ast4.asp

... pop the 4 RAID drives in it, and attach it to the new Quad (externally via the Tempo card), would it be recognized? Or would I first have to back up all of the data, move the drives over to the Quad, reformat the RAID, and put the data back? (I could also just pop the boot drive from my current machine into the new Quad... but for making this move I think I'd rather manually move all of my boot drive stuff over instead of just popping the new drive in - thinking there's software goodness in the OS build that the Quads have... anyone know for sure?)

TIA!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules