Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Intel has arrived!

iMac Intel has arrived! (Page 9)
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 08:07 AM

just ordered a 20" imac dual intel on the apple store

can hardly contain myself !

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
just ordered a 20" imac dual intel on the apple store

can hardly contain myself !
Ordered mine on the 31st of Jan. This is going to be a LONG two week wait.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 08:39 AM

I just ordered a 17" intel imac a few hours ago online.

We're all in the same boat

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Does X-Tunes work on the intel imac?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8445
It says it installs a preference pane, so it will not work.
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 2, 2006, 12:56 PM

i guess going from a g4 17"er i should notice a fair speed up , no ?

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 04:16 PM

i guess going from a g4 17"er i should notice a fair speed up , no ?
Don't know how fast your G4 is, but I went from a G4/400 with 1.5 GB of RAM to the 20" Intel iMac with 2 GB of RAM, and it runs rings around EVERYTHING. Even the rosetta stuff.

-Todd

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 01:10 AM

it's an 800 mhz one , it's soooo slow on safari it sometimes grinds to a halt and even crashes , everything sees the beachball and finally after 3.5 years of using it i've decided to get something fast like the new imac

the fact the hard disk is full up prob doesnt help

the new imac seems like a dream come true in technical comparison , partic. the amazing videocard

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 09:29 AM

it's an 800 mhz one , it's soooo slow on safari it sometimes grinds to a halt and even crashes , everything sees the beachball and finally after 3.5 years of using it i've decided to get something fast like the new imac

the fact the hard disk is full up prob doesnt help

the new imac seems like a dream come true in technical comparison , partic. the amazing videocard
The only thing you need to look at is your preference panes and your menu bar hacks. Any of those that you are using will not work until the developer releases universal binaries. For me, the biggest thing missing is the Logitech drivers. Logitech has finally confirmed that they will eventually release drivers for Intel, but they give no indication on WHEN this will happen.

The other thing I REALLY REALLY miss is Detour. Rogue Amoeba stopped supporting this last year. At the time, they were like, but the current version still works, so you should be able to use it for a long time to come, and now it doesn't work on the Intel iMacs.

I think I want my money back...

-Todd

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 09:54 AM

i don't have any of those , i like os-x just as it is

maybe i'm the kind of user they're aiming it at - only mac ilife/safari and occasional appleworks to be 100% honest

hardly pro , eh ?

i think i'll keep the old imac as backup for the os-9 stuff

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 3, 2006, 09:55 AM

on another note - does photoshop elements work on the intel ?

John the Geek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ravenz
I think I'll have to wait for iEmulator, which uses QEMU. The developer said that current tests on the Intel iMac are very promising. An update to iEmulator is expected next month.
I hate to burst your bubble, but iEmulator is really just Q with new icons.

iEmulator Interface

Q Interface

I PMed the developer of Q and he had this to say:

Originally Posted by kberg
Hello John,

He offers the source and I did a diff. Beside some cosmetic changes it's 100% QEMU and Q. You can run a "diff -Nru" on his source (you find it in the faq of iEmulator) and the last source I published (a little outdated by now )...

He mentioned in some news today, that iEmulator is ready to run on X86 by end of feb... now I know what's expected of me .

I did calm down already... at least he gives credit and publishes the source. (Btw You can build iEmulator by downloading the code... unzip, open the terminal, cd to the source folder, then:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/sw --enable-cocoa --target-list=i386-softmmu --enable-adlib --cc=gcc-3.3 make make app
leaves you with a iEmulator branded Version of Q in /sw.

If you rebrand it and change the icons, you can use it for free.

Mike

godrifle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 03:06 PM

I sent the following message to the sales team at OpenOSX (I'm months away from a promotion to Director of Educational Techology):
Thank you for your response. Since my original email, I have read a very large number of posts from your customers who are exceedingly unhappy with your marketing claims, product performance, and your track record for not appropriately acknowledging the intellectual work of third parties. Therefore, I will steer my organization's considerable purchasing requirements towards a more customer-centric vendor.

Best,

Chris Brewer
Webmaster - College of Business
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs

Phone: 719-262-3827
----------

On Feb 3, 2006, at 5:21 AM, OpenOSX Sales wrote:

Thanks for your interest.

We normally do not apply our educational discount towards downloads, however we can make an exception for you. If you are interested, please place an order and paste this email into the "Special Instructions" for a $20 download.
----------
On Jan 28, 2006, at 12:51 PM, Chris Brewer wrote:

Do you offer discounts for educational institutions or students? I've got a number of people (in addition to myself) curious about running Windows on the new Intel-based Macs.

godrifle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 03:14 PM

I have found that taking the following action *really* has results:

1) Contact the Consumer Affairs department in the state in which the company does business, and file a complaint. OpenOSX does business in California (according to their web site), so the correct URL is: http://www.dca.ca.gov/complainthelp/...complaint.html
2) Contact the Attorney General's office in the state in which the company does business and file a grievance. It appears that this company is in violation of California's Business & Professions Code, Division 7, General Business Regulations, § 17200.

Based on my experience, company's run like this tend to hang themselves when presented with the legal ramifications that both options above present.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2006, 09:45 PM

So it's been several weeks and no Windows on Intel iMacs, eh?

I guess the nerds need to do more homework!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2006, 12:39 AM

on another note - does photoshop elements work on the intel ?
Version 2.0 runs fine on my core duo.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 13, 2006, 06:52 AM

exc

ok , that's me sorted

just have to wait now...damnations

Michael Jolly
Feb 13, 2006, 08:58 AM

I know the feeling I have to wait to the 26th of this month to get mine, I can't wait but I will have to
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2006, 01:26 PM

I ordered mine last Tuesday, customized 17" with 2 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive and wireless keyboard/mouse option and it arrived today (a full day earlier than FedEx's delivery date). Two days of backlogged work = me not enjoying it for two days, heh.

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 03:46 PM

apple listen up here: everyone who is due for a new mac is drooling over the core duos, but were afraid to buy the first revision because we know the 2nd will have fewer bugs and better technology. so hurry up with that 2nd rev, i know soooo many people who will order one the second its out. that is what were all waiting for.

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 03:51 PM

p.s. does anyone have a realistic time frame for when the 2nd gen intel imacs will be shipping? and what kind of upgrade can we expect? 2.3-2.5 ghz? 2.5-2.7? same prices?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:47 PM

you'll be waiting for awhile, mmmmkay. There's nothing wrong with this revision, if you want one, buy one.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 05:19 PM

thanks weezer, but how long? macosrumors indicates that the intel mini will be out in july and that the imac upgrade to 2.3-2.5 ghz will be well before then. all very cryptic and speculative. i can only buy a mac every 2 or 3 years so if i have to wait a couple of months, fine. 4 or 5 is too long. any leads?

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2006, 08:40 PM

I've checked the magic 8 ball, and it says May 2007.

Seriously speaking, I doubt we are going to see new revisions of existing intel machines until everything else has transitioned.

I could be wrong.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 14, 2006, 01:01 AM

you'll prob get a small speed bumb c. july-september 2.0-2.3

is it worth waiting for ?

probably not , all the problems with the dc are software related and will be taken care of in 10.4.5 i think

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 01:39 PM

logic pro 7.2 on intel imac
has anyone tried this yet? im interested to see what logic runs like when native on a core duo. (can you load 100 space designers, etc)

macs are good mkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 02:50 PM

oh i get it, everyone who has logic 7.2 is too busy playing with it to post anything. i cant blame you. still, how is it?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by macs are good mkay
logic pro 7.2 on intel imac
has anyone tried this yet? im interested to see what logic runs like when native on a core duo. (can you load 100 space designers, etc)
Link
Originally Posted by Cannonball Studios
I belive someone asked about Logic Pro performance.

I am using 20" iMac Intel 2.0 GHz with 2 GB Memory. I had attempted to run the Logic Demo Song for G5 Only when I had Logioc 7.1 installed. It would not even produce audio. I got a message before one sample of audio was played that the system could not keep up.

Well, I just got my 7.2 crossgrade CD, and WOW! This imac handles the G5 23" Full Track demo song beautifully. My powerbook will not run it. To be a little more specific, first I tried it without a fresh reboot. (not even after installing it)... it got about 61 seconds in and stopped. After the upgrade it made it through without a hiccup. Wonderful. It will be rare that I will need a session that big, and it is good to know that this machine can handle it.

fhoubi
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
Version 2.0 (Photoshop Elements) runs fine on my core duo.
Neat! Can anyone confirm Canon Lide (30) scanner plug-in works with Elements (2) also, and maybe Neat Image? When so I am switching!
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
Neat! Can anyone confirm Canon Lide (30) scanner plug-in works with Elements (2) also, and maybe Neat Image? When so I am switching!
I'll try my Canon scanner tonight and report.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 16, 2006, 01:39 PM

woohoo! Mine arrived today - a week early

no front row problems , it's silent and fast as anything , goes like a rocket!

NO DEAD PIXELS !

very impressed !

only thing is it doesn't seem compatible with the epson twain drivers for scanning but i'm sure that will come soon

overall - 10/10

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:48 PM

Has anyone tried the Universal Binary Cocoa front-end enabled QEMU called Q (link) on their Intel Mac yet instead of Wintel? Trying it on my 'ol TiBook now (not expecting much speed-wise, of course...just seeing if it'll install Windows 2000).

EDIT: sorry 'bout jumping back in the thread like this...when I last checked in we were talking about Wintel. Just thought I'd contribute again.

Voch

acorder
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 05:32 PM

My 20" iMac CD 256 arrived in Montana on Tuesday and will be in my hands in about 28 hours. I had it shipped to my fiancee in Montana to save myself about $160 on sales tax. Also a good excuse to have her visit.

Will report back first chance I get!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 16, 2006, 06:46 PM

I'll try my Canon scanner tonight and report.
I'd like to know too, thx. I have one of the LiDE scanners in my office.

P.S. There is also an Intel Mac peripheral compatibility stickified thread here.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006, 06:57 PM

I'm happy to report my Canon scanner works perfectly using the 3.8.1X drivers. I scanned an image using PS Elements 2.0, both work fine.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006, 07:03 PM

woohoo! Mine arrived today - a week early

no front row problems , it's silent and fast as anything , goes like a rocket!

NO DEAD PIXELS !

very impressed !

only thing is it doesn't seem compatible with the epson twain drivers for scanning but i'm sure that will come soon

overall - 10/10
Great and congrats!

A tip for anyone who ends up with dead or stuck pixels on their new iMac. When I first booted mine I immediately noticed a bright green pixel, very noticeable on a dark background. I was so pissed… in all the years I've bought lcd panels I'd never had a problem until now. Well, on a whim I gently pressed down on the screen above the offending pixel, sort of massaging it. After about 5 seconds of this it went away and the screen is now perfect.

fhoubi
Senior User
Feb 16, 2006, 07:24 PM

I'm happy to report my Canon scanner works perfectly using the 3.8.1X drivers. I scanned an image using PS Elements 2.0, both work fine.
Thx so far! BTW which model do you have? Still a little confused, as my Lide30 came with ScanGear GS 7.0.0 drivers, and 7.0.1 are the latest for download available... Eug, any ideas?

Oh, and another must have is the Neat Image plug-in filter for Photoshop (Elements). If anyone could test the free download version?

Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2006, 08:26 PM

I received mine on the 13th and can also happily report that I have had zero issues with it. Quiet, fast, and the display is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! (20", 256MB vram, 250GB hdd, 2GB ram. Desktop spanned with a 21" Trinitron CRT)

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 08:46 PM

Good deal. I got mine on the 14th and everything works great. No dead pixels, quiet, and I really like having the wireless KB/M. No drop outs, etc. (20", 256MB Vram, 250GB HDD, 1 G Ram [soon to be 2GB]. Front row works flawlessly.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 07:57 AM

Earlier in this thread there was a huge discussion on Wintel, a program that claimed to let you run windows on your intel mac at near native speeds. This appeared not to be true, and the program appeared to be hopeless.

Version 2.1 is now out, and it now 'claims' that it boots 98 in 'seconds' and XP in under 30 seconds on a 2.0 core duo with 512 RAM. They say the reccommended operating system to run in wintel, for the first time, is windows XP.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this / updated their previous version of Wintel 2.0.1 to 2.1?

Is it 'working' yet? (working as in usable)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006, 08:18 AM

Thx so far! BTW which model do you have? Still a little confused, as my Lide30 came with ScanGear GS 7.0.0 drivers, and 7.0.1 are the latest for download available... Eug, any ideas?

Oh, and another must have is the Neat Image plug-in filter for Photoshop (Elements). If anyone could test the free download version?

Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope...
The demo version of Neat Image appears to work fine.

As for the scanner, I have a the CanoScan N650U LIDE. I think I confused the driver version with the plug-in version. The scanner plug-in is at version 3.8.1X. I don't know which version of ScanGear I have.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 08:20 AM

Isn't it amazing though... something that was previously declared to be native is now magically able to run "300 to 600% faster"!!

What a charlatan.

"What's new in this version:
WinTel 2.1.0 now features "Qemu" offering dynamic translation for 300% to 600% performance gains over the previous version of the product on Intel Macintosh computers."

Q/QEMU is open source software and available from the develepors themselves so just try using that instead.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 08:36 AM

Cheers JKT, i'm just downloading now, and I will try to import a Virtual PC 7 file into it as it said you can, and I will report back on performance etc. I might also try a fresh install from an XP disk and see how that goes.

So is this program basically exactly the same as Wintel, just free??

Update: I just tried to import a VPC 7 image, and it didnt show any error, but when I tried to launch it, a window popped open, as though it was about to launch, and then it closed again. So I am now going to try and install from an XP disc
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 09:09 AM

OK, so I tried installing XP pro, and I keep getting the windows error:

Fatal Error - an error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the setup log file

Any ideas?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
Isn't it amazing though... something that was previously declared to be native is now magically able to run "300 to 600% faster"!!

What a charlatan.
OMG! We'll be able to run Windows 300% to 600% faster than if it were running on native hardware! Maybe there is some truth to those "Apple switching to Windows" rumors after all!

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
OK, so I tried installing XP pro, and I keep getting the windows error:

Fatal Error - an error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the setup log file

Any ideas?
Read the info at their site - it is only a preliminary Universal Binary so it has missing features/bugs and that may be why it isn't working. Sorry I should have pointed that out beforehand, so my fault. However, it is remarkable that the people who have actually done the work of porting QEMU to the Mac don't yet have a fully functional UB, yet OpenOS X apparently do... amazing!

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
Now this is a pretty accurate translation.

PCorMachelpme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 01:10 PM

i have 1 question that will make me junk my alieware laptop can you run pc games on it?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 01:15 PM

No idea 'cause I can't get the damn thing to work, but I doubt games will fare well.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PCorMachelpme
i have 1 question that will make me junk my alieware laptop can you run pc games on it?
I don't know, but if Microsoft ever ports VirtualPC to run on Intel Macs, one can bet that the speed would be quite respectable, since there will be no need to emulate the hardware. Something like Classic was all these years on PowerPC hardware under OS X.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by PCorMachelpme
You can't run Windows games on it, no. At least not until somebody releases VM software that will run Windows.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules