Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook goes to Sleep whenever it wants even while I am using it

Powerbook goes to Sleep whenever it wants even while I am using it
PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2006, 10:05 PM

I have 17" Powerbook, and I was actually going to take it to the apple store tomorrow anyway because ever since I got it one of the USB ports was dead so they are going to have to replace the logic board.

But anyway tonight the computer would not stay "awake" It would keep going to sleep whenever it wanted even as I was using it. I would wake it up and it would do the same thing. My energy saver settings do not say to do that....

Anyone have an idea as to what is goin on???

Thanks!

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by PHYMAC
I have 17" Powerbook, and I was actually going to take it to the apple store tomorrow anyway because ever since I got it one of the USB ports was dead so they are going to have to replace the logic board.

But anyway tonight the computer would not stay "awake" It would keep going to sleep whenever it wanted even as I was using it. I would wake it up and it would do the same thing. My energy saver settings do not say to do that....

Anyone have an idea as to what is goin on???

Thanks!
Well maybe it's just tired.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 12:22 AM

Maybe the lid close magnetic thingy is stuck or charged or magnetized or whatever for however it works.

Oh, and funny, hldan.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by ccsccs7
Maybe the lid close magnetic thingy is stuck or charged or magnetized or whatever for however it works.

Oh, and funny, hldan.

Yeah, I didn't mean to be rude, I thought it to be a perfect funny. Yeah, it's best to take it to the Apple store. LOL.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 12:30 AM

Ha ha.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

robinpow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 01:35 PM

OK guys & gals I'm having the SAME problem. Just started a week ago! The only problem is I'm out of the country right now! I've ran the test, no problems. I've zapped the pram, no change, I even called it a few choice names... it went to sleep.

HELP!

PHYMAC  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2006, 06:54 PM

Well I went to the Apple Store to send my powerbook to get the USB port fixed and also told the guy about the sleeping problem. We could not reproduce it at the store since it didn't do it today ever since I put it to sleep for the night last night. He did say he would write the probelm in my file but he did write that we could not reproduce it so I don't kno if the technicians will take a look at it or not.

He said there is a switch right below the keyboard next to the trackpad that is activated by a magnet located behind the screen, so when you close the screen the magnet activates the switch which in turn puts the computer to sleep. He said sometimes those switches just go haywire and put the computer to sleep. The othert thing could be if there was something magnetized left on the computer that would activate it.

Well that's the story, hopefull they replace my switch, but I doubt they will!

robinpow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 09:08 PM

If we are sharing the same problem I can tell you how to reproduce the problem! When I wake MAC in the morning after several hours of sleep, he does well for 2 to 3 hours. However then will start falling to sleep. After that if I don't give him a 5 to 10 minute nap every hour or so, the problem will worsen. To where he falls a sleep every few minutes.

The first few times, he can be awaken with the space bar, but after that... I have to pull the battery.

Wake your MAC up, use him for several hours, take him to the shop, and pop in a DVD... with in 30 minutes he will go to sleep.

I was thinking a temp problem, however it feels the same temp as always. According to iStat nano the highest temp I've it was 122F.

Forum Links
Forum Rules