Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sending PB for repairs, need to backup entire HD, do I just copy Home Folder?

Sending PB for repairs, need to backup entire HD, do I just copy Home Folder?
PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 02:26 PM

I am sending my PB to get fixed because it just goes to sleep whenever it wants. Apple told me to backup my entire HD. To do that do I just copy my Home folder? That will copy everything? Music, Files and everything else?

Thank you!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2006, 04:02 PM

It would be better to backup the whole partition if you can. The easiest way is to connect an external HD, go to /Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility and select Restore. Chose your PB's main disk as source and the external disk as destination. Hit restore and wait. That will give you a complete (and bootable) clone of your PB's disk. When you get the PB back you could do the same in reverse order to recreate the disk in the exact same state it was before you sent it in (if necessary).

[Edit: Lack of coffee and sleep deprivation do not mix at all.]
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 15, 2006 at 02:35 AM. )

john h
Apr 14, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by PHYMAC
I am sending my PB to get fixed because it just goes to sleep whenever it wants. Apple told me to backup my entire HD. To do that do I just copy my Home folder? That will copy everything? Music, Files and everything else?

Thank you!
Personally, I would Clone the entire hard drive.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2006, 07:02 AM

If you have the installers and licences to hand for all your software and hardware (for drivers/kexts), you can get away with backing up your Home folder AND the /Library folder (why? Because e.g. fonts, internet and other software plug-ins, and software licences could have been put in the /Library folder rather than the ~/Library folder).

Forum Links
Forum Rules