Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wait times predicted for new MacBook

Wait times predicted for new MacBook
nickw311
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 02:01 PM

I am going to wait until I have a little more money in my bank account and until I selll my Dell laptop on ebay before ordering a new MacBook.... What kind of wait times should I be looking for after I order the computer. I remember when I bought my Shuffle I had to wait like 5 weeks...
27" iMac C2D

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 02:21 PM

It shouldn't be very long, at least so long as Apple's initial stock is still around. I remember ordering my iMac (and I'm in Canada, so it takes longer) and getting it within several days at the most - it showed up 2 days ahead of schedule, in fact.

It's a high-demand product, but Apple actually has some to give!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Draco
May 17, 2006, 02:38 PM

I thought I was going to have to wait until early June to get my black Macbook, but to my surprise it already shipped. I ordered it yesterday. Should be here Friday!

Provided Apple has enough stock of these, I would imagine you would have a similar wait.

twieland
May 17, 2006, 02:53 PM

Draco, what ????? You ordered yesterday and it shipped today???!!!!

I ordered within 30 minutes of the announcement, and my Blackbook (BTO) 1Gig RAM, 100GB HD, isn't scheduled to ship until May 25th!!!

What did you order?

- Tim

Draco
May 17, 2006, 02:57 PM

I ordered a standard black macbook. Mine said the 25th too, but I've already got the tracking number. I think they just provided those dates to cover themselves incase of any unforseen delays? I would imagine yours would ship well before the 25th, but your guess is as good as mine. Although yours was BTO, I just went with the standard config. That may cause a delay...

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 06:18 PM

Yeah I remember reading that they have been producing these for a while and have somewhat of a stock built up. I think I will order it in about 3 - 4 weeks so hopefully they still have plenty in stock.
27" iMac C2D

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 06:55 PM

I just ordered mine and it says it isn't scheduled to ship until May 26th... kind of a let down, but I hope it changes and is shipped very soon!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 07:06 PM

this will give me time to find out if there are any major problems with the MacBook..... You all can be my beta testers ;-)
27" iMac C2D

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 08:53 PM

I ordered mine this evening, shipping they say May 24, delivery May 30th.

With the following configuration:
Processor 0656306 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory 0656233 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM 2x512
Hard Drive 0656226 60GB Serial ATA drive
Optical Drive 0656230 Combo Drive
Modem 0656513 No Modem
Apple Software Solutions 0656200 No Optional Software
Adapter 0656515 No Optional Adapter
Keyboard/Mac OS Language 0656235 Keyboard/Mac OS
Country Kit/AEX 0656313 Airport Extreme Card andBT

The only thing I added was the 1 Gig of mem.

Tom

fesdds
May 17, 2006, 11:20 PM

I bought 2 macbooks yesterday, 1 within 30 minutes of release with 2x512 ram & 1 in the afternoon with 2x256 ram. The one ordered in the afternoon shipped early this morning (& expected on friday), but the one ordered first is not expected to ship until may 23rd.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 01:03 AM

Ah, as usual, we Education Store customers get the shaft. We get the big one right up the rear. No matter if you're ordering as a student/teacher, or as an intitution (as I did), we always get _the longest_ waiting times.

Ordered one about 3 hours after they were available on the store, my rep out the order in right away - Estimated Ship is May 30th. And if every single previous Apple Education order I placed (which is a LOT) is any indication, that date will pass with no shipment.

Grrrrr!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

egutin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by JustinD
Estimated Ship is May 30th. And if every single previous Apple Education order I placed (which is a LOT) is any indication, that date will pass with no shipment.

Grrrrr!

Did you order a black or a white? I ordered white through education, est.ship is 24th,just like everyone else.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 01:22 AM

i ordered white 2GHz w/ 1gb of ram the day it came out using educational discount. estimated shipping date is may 23.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by JustinD
Ah, as usual, we Education Store customers get the shaft. We get the big one right up the rear. No matter if you're ordering as a student/teacher, or as an intitution (as I did), we always get _the longest_ waiting times.

Ordered one about 3 hours after they were available on the store, my rep out the order in right away - Estimated Ship is May 30th. And if every single previous Apple Education order I placed (which is a LOT) is any indication, that date will pass with no shipment.
I'm not sure. I'm ordering as university staff so I get some education institution discount (~15%) and my black MB is scheduled to ship no later than 5/25. That's exactly 7 business days from the date I ordered (5/16) and that's consistent with what the store is telling me and everybody else (including those not ordering through the edu store): 3-7 days.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by CrusaderSean
i ordered white 2GHz w/ 1gb of ram the day it came out using educational discount. estimated shipping date is may 23.
Yep, that's consistent with what they promise at the normal store: 1-5 business days.

orbitalbears2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 06:29 AM

I ordered mine the evening of the Tuesday, 16th. It's a standard config black one that I got with an educational discount. At first, I got the same email saying it wouldn't arrive until May 30th and was pissed. But according to Fedex, it was shipped the next day from China.

Now you would think I would get it on Friday (got 2 day shipping), but when I talked with Apple, they said shipping times are based on when it leaves customs. In other words, that 2-3 day delivery starts once it passes customs.

According to FedEx's tracking page, it's currently "left orgin" and is "in transit." I remember seeign these same terms for items at work that had to pass UK customs, and when I called FedEx to ask why it was taking so long, they said it normally took a few days to go through customs. http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/hmmm.gif

Has anyone else waited for a laptop to come from Apple's plant in China?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by orbitalbears2
I thought the MB was coming from Taiwan.

My MBP came form China. It left Shanghai on 3/27 but didn't leave the European sorting facility in Holland until 4/4 - that's 7 days just for one flight and transfer. From there on it was very fast. By truck overnight, through customs in the morning and I received it in the afternoon.

orbitalbears2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 08:13 AM

Fedex say's it's coming from Suzhou, which is just across the state (?) border from Shanghai. Suzhou must be where manifacturing for Shanghai is located.

You said your MBP left Shanghai on 3/27. On what date did you order it? I'm also wondering if it has to pass US customs too. I'm not too familiar with how customs works.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by orbitalbears2
Fedex say's it's coming from Suzhou, which is just across the state (?) border from Shanghai. Suzhou must be where manifacturing for Shanghai is located.
OK. I thought Asus manufactured in Taiwan.

You said your MBP left Shanghai on 3/27. On what date did you order it?
March 9.

I'm also wondering if it has to pass US customs too. I'm not too familiar with how customs works.
I think Macs from China for the US normally arrive in Alaska where they go through US customs. From there it's off to the distribution facility near you and then onto the truck. That last part is normally rather fast.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 08:48 AM

Ordered 16th of May, shipping May 23, 2006; delivery Jun 2, 2006. I'm in Germany and ordered a CTO Config (1.83 GHz, 100 GB HD).

EDIT: Date
( Last edited by andreas_g4; May 18, 2006 at 04:12 PM. )

Draco
May 18, 2006, 10:24 AM

damn that was fast. From China to my door in a day. To bad I wasn't there this morning to sign for it. No matter, the Fedex hub is 3 minutes from my house, so I'll just pick it up tonight.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 18, 2006, 11:09 AM

All of the big Taiwanese makers are building factories to China. Same quality, but cheaper labour.

P.S. I'm glad I didn't order the expedited shipping. For machines coming from overseas, they all get shipped by air anyway whether you pay for expedited shipping or not.

However, sometimes when I have ordered small things (like an iPod case or something) with regular shipping, they get shipped by ground from California. OTOH, the DVI and VGA adapters I ordered with the MacBook have already arrived, by courier (from Apple Canada).

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Ordered 16th of April, shipping May 23, 2006; delivery Jun 2, 2006. I'm in Germany and ordered a CTO Config (1.83 GHz, 100 GB HD).
That's what you get for ordering a month early.

BTW, I changed my (Canadian) education order on May 17. That pushed the estimated ship date from May 23 to May 24. Too bad too, cuz I initially ordered like in the first hour after it was announced, so it probably would have shipped way before May 23, considering some of you guys are already getting your shipping notices.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 18, 2006 at 11:16 AM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Draco
damn that was fast. From China to my door in a day. To bad I wasn't there this morning to sign for it. No matter, the Fedex hub is 3 minutes from my house, so I'll just pick it up tonight.
a DAY?!?!? This is why I hate the USA, just because a company is based there, and its a big country, they get top service, and people here in the UK are left waiting for their MBs that are scheduled to be delivered by June 2, because of the lack of option to upgrade shipping!!

OK not really a reason to hate the US, maybe more of a reason to hate Apple's ways......
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

hadocon
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:26 PM

CTO Ordered a Black MB with 512 Ram, 120GB HDD today (May 18th) - and was quoted a ship date of may 30th and a reception date of June 2nd.

Ordered from the MIT education store.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Draco
damn that was fast. From China to my door in a day.
Now that's what I call fast shipping!

The only thing I ever experienced that went that fast was a replacement iPod USB charger Apple sent me because mine was DOA. I called at 11 in the morning. The next day at 9am FedEx gave it to me.

quiklee
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 03:11 PM

I got ordered the day it came out . . . then got shippin on the 23rd . . delivery 31st . . . . am I going to get it before the 31st? and how are people getting their MB already through fedex? I customized mine with 1 GB Ram and a 80GB HD along with some software and DVI adapter . . . i thought customizing it would get it to me faster!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

ug.mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 03:20 PM

I ordered mine at 16th and it will ship by 23th, I paid extra for faster shipping so it will be here by 25th if lucky. It still a week to go which is bad. :-/

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 04:00 PM

Looks like they are selling very very well this 1st week. At the Apple store here in Nashville, they ran out of Black MacBooks and still have a waiting list for them.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
i thought customizing it would get it to me faster!
what would make you think that?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
That's what you get for ordering a month early.

Well, what can I say, I'm just good at anticipating

orbitalbears2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 11:33 PM

FedEx tracking is not indicating mine is in Alaska. I'm hoping (cross fingers) it will get here tomorrow. That would 4 days from order to my door.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 11:46 PM

Macconnection shows MBs in stock as of this afternoon, with a $50 rebate. Overnight shipping is $30.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 07:55 AM

My (education) order shipped via FedEx from Suzhou, China May 19 late afternoon (which is early morning EST here).

The order was from midday (EST) on the 17th. Estimated ship date when I ordered was May 24. I did NOT pay for expedited shipping.

EDIT:

P.S. Mine was a middle model white, CTO with 80 GB and stock RAM.

I almost wish Monday weren't a holiday here next week.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 19, 2006 at 08:13 AM. )

fesdds
May 19, 2006, 08:01 AM

I stated above that I ordered 2 macbooks & I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the incredibly fast shipping. I did the free shipping, but had one of the macbooks at my house in about 45 hours from placing my online order & the second is in transit. Heck of a lot faster than the estimated by May 31st. By the way, the Macbook is one smooth looking machine.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 08:03 AM

My order (which I have already posted about, but I didn't see this thread!) was due to be shipped May 24th, but ended up shipping this morning. Est. delivery is still 29th May mind, which seems absurd, but I am sure I will get it before then, going on past experiences.

Mine was ordered on 16th May, at around 8 PM GMT
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 10:19 AM

Draco, you are a lucky man. I live in the 'burbs of Chi-town and I'm not scheduled to recieve mine until June 2nd!

ALSO! Everyone is saying FedEx says it's been shipped... does Apple mail you a tracking number or is it your order number or what? I'd like to see what FedEx says about the status of my package, but I do not know how...

Draco
May 19, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
Draco, you are a lucky man. I live in the 'burbs of Chi-town and I'm not scheduled to recieve mine until June 2nd!

ALSO! Everyone is saying FedEx says it's been shipped... does Apple mail you a tracking number or is it your order number or what? I'd like to see what FedEx says about the status of my package, but I do not know how...
Yeah, came yesterday as expected. FedEx even came back to my house for a second delivery attempt when no one was home in the morning. Kudos to FedEx. I've never gotten that kind of service from UPS. In anycase, this thing is beautiful. I was surprised at how solid and well put together the Macbook feels. I intend to write a full review later on.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX

Apple mails you the tracking number. It's also on the Apple Order Status page.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 10:58 AM

In the e-mail I recieved, I never got a tracking number nor is it on the Apple Order Status page. Does this mean it hasn't shipped yet? If that's the case, if and when it does ship, they'll mail me the tracking number?

fowler
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 11:37 AM

on the order status page, in a blue header, it'll say "shipped" or "not shipped yet".

mine shipped this morning. supposedly will be here on the 26th.

woot.
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

orbitalbears2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 12:53 PM

I'm typing this from my new MacBook! FedEx delivered it today at 10:00 AM EST.

So from start to finish, it took 4 days. Once it got to Alaska, it took less than 24 hours to get to Cincinnati. Overall, not too bad. Apple really shouldn't send out that email with a delivery date of May 30th.

By the way, if you're upgrading the memory, order ahead of time. I just called around and no one local has any in stock. They all say the memory is so new, that few machines are using it now.

Woo Hoo!! Back to my new toy....

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 01:23 PM

My BlackBook just shipped - 4 days early! It's scheduled to be here no later than 3/31.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 02:00 PM

By the looks of what I'm reading here, I hope that mine will ship today!

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 02:32 PM

Ordered a black macbook with a 100GB today,
shipping date 30 may, and receive date is june 9th.. :-(

(in holland.... )
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hsl
Ordered a black macbook with a 100GB today,
shipping date 30 may, and receive date is june 9th.. :-(

(in holland.... )
Hmm... The ship dates are getting pushed back further and further.

Order May 16 - Est. shipment May 23, real shipment May 17
Order May 17 - Est. shipment May 24, real shipment May 19
Order May 18 - Est. shipment May 30, real shipment ???
Order may 19 - Est. shipment May 30, real shipment ???

I wonder how much stock they have now, but it looks like they may be slowing down on getting those shipments out.

b11051973
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 03:35 PM

I got mine at the Apple Store at the Mall of America. They had a ton of each type there. I went there right after the 15" MBP came out and they had none. They definitely have better stock than when they released the MBP.

Frans
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 04:01 PM

Ordered black MacBook with 120 Gb drive for delivery in Amsterdam through the Dutch Apple Store.
- Order was confirmed on the 17th, shipping estimate was 26th of May (latest), delivery 7th of June (latest).
- Shipping was confirmed on the 19th, delivery estimate 30th of May (latest).

Looks like Apple has it's production going well. Can't wait to get my hands on my new amazing laptop!
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 12:00 AM

So mine wasn't shipped today.

Does anyone know if shipping is halted on weekends?

jchen
May 20, 2006, 01:27 AM

I ordered from Amazon. Ugh.

Delivery estimate: July 26, 2006 - July 27, 2006

I hope they are joking.

iBook2
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 01:46 AM

Ordered mine May 16th:
Black 2GHZ, 2GB ram, 120GB HD
Estimated delivery time upon ordering was June 2nd!!!
Later I was notified that it shipped on the 18th!! (That's Less than two days from order as a Custom build!) Delivery is now scheduled for May 23!!! This is with the free shipping too! So it's taking them only one week to get cutom build to my door!!! I seriously thought I would get the shaft too because I bought it through a corporate partner discount! especially with all the stories I hear about the education purchases having longer lead times.
Currently FedEx shows that my MacBook left China yesterday and just departed Alaska! Not sure if it has cleared customs yet though.... might have considering it says it has arrived and departed AK.
I'm way impressed with how fast my order has been processed and shipped!

Forum Links
Forum Rules