Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SATA -> FireWire 400, recommendations?

SATA -> FireWire 400, recommendations?
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 07:01 PM

Hey everyone!

I currently have a 1.6TB RAID, using 4x Hitachi 400GB SATA drive, two per an aluminum eSATA enclosure. This is SATA to SATA, so there's plenty of products to do this.

But, there seem to be VERY few products that go from SATA to FireWire 400 - in fact there are more that go from SATA to USB 2.0 (blech!).

Does anyone have any recommendations for enclosures that do SATA to FireWire 400? Built-in fans would be great. The purpose of this would be to make my RAID available to MacBooks and MacBook Pros through a powered FireWire hub.

Thanks in advance!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 07:35 PM

I'd suggest getting a SATA ExpressCard if you can... no sense to cut yourself down to FW400 speeds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules