Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > running other media/design programs on macbook

running other media/design programs on macbook
boomerdang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 07:36 PM

as we all know, adobe cs2 is having problems on macbook.

but my question is, what if i downgrade to adobe cs. could this level up its performance largely?

i'll also be frequently using final cut pro, after effects, cinema 4d, flash, dreamweaver. just wondering if these programs also running sluggish on macbook. i hate the thought of possibly having to use all those programs in windows on a macbook!

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 10:24 PM

I just completed a retouching job on my macbook.......files were 16bit tiff, scanned at 50 mb......after i added all of my layers, I was topping out at about 140mb.....not a problem.....little bit of lag, but nothing that hurt too much.

Dreamweaver also runs fairly well, as well as indesign, although I havent done anything big in those programs yet.

fyi, 1.83 mb, with 1gig of ram

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 01:46 AM

Final cut pro is universal, and flies on my macbook. Interestingly, Motion is also very very good on my MacBook - much better than I thought it would be
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

boomerdang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 04:49 AM

thanks for the replies.

i only have 512m ram. that may be what is making it perform badly when i run adobe cs2 programs.

i would be also very keen to have some opinions on how fast after effects, flash, cinema4d run on macbook.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 08:51 AM

IIRC, programs running under Rosetta will require anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times the memory requirements. If a program requires 512 MBs to run, it will mean that you will need 768 MBs or 1 GB to run it under Rosetta. That's a good reason why you should try to get the Universal Binary versions of your programs.

If you're running quite a bit of Rosetta programs (Adobe Suite), I'd go for 2GBs of RAM.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 04:51 PM

as long as you don't rely on CS2 for your income, I think the performance is pretty acceptable (with enough RAM). I do a lot of freelance Photoshop work, and as I'm going to be selling my monster Dual 2.7 G5 rig, I can easily live with the slight performance hit until the Mac Pros come along.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 05:10 PM

I haven't seen any tests with After effects but since it's not universal and with the integrated graphics in the Macbook, it must not be a great experience...

wilsonng
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 05:33 PM

I could be wrong but i think Photoshop is more CPU intensive and not so much GPU intensive.

Adobe CS2 is slow because it is running in Rosetta emulation.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 05:36 PM

PS barely uses the gpu at all.

Anyway, CS2 has been running wacky on the MBPs as well. CS runs fine though.

Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 06:09 PM

forget 3D....just put it out of your mind. you can't push many poly's with that gpu

banksey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 06:26 PM

I have After Effects 6.5 on my macbook and it runs fine. I edited my entire demo reel and had a bunch of text effects and it's not bad. You just need more RAM to run it.

boomerdang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 04:18 AM

thanks for the replies.

good to know after effects runs fine, though i suspect it could be bad when using its 3d function.

i only use 3d programs (preferably c4d) to animate and render lighting effects and typographic elements. won't do much modelling. does that sound like an easy task for macbook?

Forum Links
Forum Rules