Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a good application to backup/edit image EXIF data?

Is there a good application to backup/edit image EXIF data?
atc ben
Nov 10, 2006, 06:39 PM

I'm sorry if this has been covered in a previous thread. I did a search, but came up empty handed. I recently switched from Windows, and I just received my new MBP last Monday. I do a lot of photography work via Photoshop CS2, and I used to use a program called Exifer to backup my EXIF data before I editted them in Photoshop, and then I restored the original EXIF data after I was done editting them and saved the file. I tried googling this, but I couldn't really find much. So I'm hoping some of the more knowledgable Mac photographers here can recommend something. Thanks!
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006, 09:03 PM

I found these 3 that might be worth looking at, I haven't used any of them. I thought Photoshop preserved the EXIF tags anyway?
EXIF-O-Matic
PhotoInfo 2.0.1 - MacUpdate
and
EXIFutils - Command Line EXIF manipulation tools for JPG and TIF images - this is a set of command line tools.

atc ben  (op)
Nov 10, 2006, 10:10 PM

Yeah, that's about all I came across too. None of those are what I'm looking for though. I need something that will backup EXIF data, not necessarily a program to edit it. I can't believe with all the people who use a Mac for photography, there isn't more software available for the platform. Exifer for Windows was a great, great program and I'm going to miss it.

Photoshop, at least for windows, does perserve EXIF data, but it also adds an XMP block on top of it. Some websites only read this XMP block and ignore the true EXIF data when images are uploaded. Therefore, I liked to backup the EXIF data of files that I planned to post online, and then restore it after I was done working with the file in CS2.

Thank you for your effort though.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

Forum Links
Forum Rules