Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > startup noise question

startup noise question
adamj575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 06:48 AM

whenever i start up my macbook 2.0 ghz it sounds like the dvd drive is trying to load something and it also does this whenever i wake it from sleeping. it didnt use to do this and i have only had it for about three weeks. i have ran an app called maintenance and am wondering if this had anything to do with it. it isnt that annoying but it really bothers mr because i know it isnt suppose to to this. please help me. oh yeah just to confirm there is nothing in the dvd drive

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2007, 07:10 AM

I believe you would only be able to tell the DVD drive was trying to do something if it had a disc in it - I assume you have done a force eject just in case there is a disc in it? (try booting with the mouse button held down or put a paper clip int he little hole)

Or try loading a disc and then ejecting it.

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by adamj575 View Post
whenever i start up my macbook 2.0 ghz it sounds like the dvd drive is trying to load something and it also does this whenever i wake it from sleeping.
There have been a number if issues with some of the DVD drives used in the MacBooks and MacBook Pros. We noticed that Apple has started shipping a different brand as well. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or the result of issues. Your system is under warranty. I suggest taking it into an Apple Authorized Service Provider, for review/replacement.
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

adamj575  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 07:23 AM

after putting a dvd in the drive to check it i now think it may be something else making the noise because it is distinctly different than the noise the dvd drive makes could it possibly be something else.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2007, 10:45 AM

It's just the noise the drive makes to see if there is a disc in there or not, it tries to eject in case there's a disc half way in/out. Perfectly fine and normal.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 11:19 AM

Yep. The computer always checks the optical drive at startup and wake from sleep to see if there is a disc in there.

adamj575  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 02:34 PM

i was just fixing to post another thread because i got to wondering if it has always made this sound and i just now noticed it. it kind of sounds like a camera when you turn it on and the lens comes out if that makes sense. i could have sworn that it was completely silent when i first got it so anyone that can confirm this that it is supposed to make a noise please post and provinde any links to help me on this. i was going to send it in to apple for a repair but if this is normal i dont want to.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2007, 04:21 PM

It IS supposed to make this noise and if it wasn't before, then it should have been.

makku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 06:41 PM

It makes the noise on mine too. It doesn't make the noise if there is a disk in the drive though. Maybe you had a disk inside the computer the first three weeks?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 4, 2007, 06:56 PM

The noise is the drive reparking the heads. When power is applied, the drive unlocks the head arm/carriage, but then, since it's not being accessed, it parks the arm/carriage again. My MBP does this, and so does my wife's 800MHz G4 iBook. Always.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

variozin
Apr 5, 2007, 04:08 AM

Mine Black C2D-MB does it too and it sounds normal to me. In my opinion its the design feature of all slot loading drives. I have a portable slot loading DVD drive that I use with my thinkpad, and it behaves just the same way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules