Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > So Who's going to buy an iPod-Touch?

So Who's going to buy an iPod-Touch?
Parvez
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 09:54 PM

curious...

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 10:09 PM

Me, 8 GB one. Wifi is the big selling point with me.
Signature depreciated.

stagfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

I ordered mine last night and cant wait... does anyone know if current ipod
car fm transmitter docking stations will work on the ipod touch , id like to get
one ahead of time so im ready.
thanks

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 10:25 PM

Not me. Have an iPhone so no need for an iPod touch as well. I did pick up an 80 GB iPod Classic tonight though.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 10:27 PM

I will not, currently have the iPhone.
Though the classic is very tempting, but my old iPod still works, and I use it only for music.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 12:35 AM

I've got my debit card all warmed up. I'm going to give it a few weeks of user trial before making a final decision, but I LOVED the iPhone that I played with in NYC, so who couldn't love the iPod touch.

Also, my iPod mini just died a few months back. Time to upgrade. It's either an iPod touch or iPhone for me. I'm loving the size/configuration. We'll see just how cool the iPod touch is.

robshoy
Sep 8, 2007, 12:52 AM

I just hope our Apple store gets it ASAP, because my pocket is burning with the $400 bucks just sitting there waiting to be given to someone.

Expecto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 01:17 AM

ME! I'm selling that sad mistake of a Christmas gift Zune a long with a few other reject electronics just to get the first $250. The 8GB is quite enough for my practical use, not what I want (in fact I WANT more than 16GB), but more than I would use. If I get the cash I might get the 16GB. I saw the iPhone and said, "Poo, AT&T. I'm a poor CDMA fool." Anyway, that's my long version of "Yes, I'll buy one."

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 01:49 AM

I'm seriously considering one. I've been debating a Nokia 770 or 800 for checking email and web surfing (as opposed to using my original AL 12" powerbook), and this is an intriguing gadget. I just wish it had BT so I could pair a keyboard with it.

At the moment, I'm still leaning toward some other gadget, but I will definitely keep my eye on the iPod Touché.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 8, 2007, 02:07 AM

man, i've got an old iPod photo 20GB, an iPod nano 8GB, and an iPod Video 60GB. Why would I want an iPod touch?

Because I want one! The lust factor is huge on this one! Yes, I know I am

It was hard to show photos on my nano.... The iPod video was great but I always worry about the hard drive ker-plunking on me....

This is a good enough compromise for me... I can carry enough music and videos to last a week and then resync when I need to refresh my smart playlists. I can actually show off photos to my grandparents since their eyesight isn't the greatest. And I finally get to watch on a halfway decent screen....

16GB iPod touch, please make acquaintances with my credit card.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Sep 8, 2007 at 02:16 AM. )
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 02:10 AM

I probably will get the 16 GB iPod touch.

It's smaller than the iPhone, with twice the storage capacity, and I don't want to worry too much about SIM hacks to use the iPhone in Canada.

I'll get an iPhone when it goes 3G with 16-32 GB, and the Canadian carriers give us a data plan that don't require us to sacrifice our first borns.

P.S. It would be cool if ThinkOutside would create a Stowaway keyboard for it.

( Last edited by Eug; Sep 8, 2007 at 02:16 AM. )

Annette310
Sep 8, 2007, 02:14 AM

I'm getting the 8GB one. But I'm also waiting until they are actually released. WiFi was a big selling point for me as well. I've always liked the iPhone but I don't need the phone part and it was out of my budget. I love my music, so the iPod Touch is perfect!

Anyone want to buy pink 4GB Nano???

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Annette310 View Post
I'm getting the 8GB one. But I'm also waiting until they are actually released. WiFi was a big selling point for me as well. I've always liked the iPhone but I don't need the phone part and it was out of my budget. I love my music, so the iPod Touch is perfect!
The 8 GB iPhone is now $400. Plus you can get a refurb 8 GB iPhone for $350, or a refurb 4 GB iPhone for $299.

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2007, 02:47 AM

My sisters want to give me an XBOX 360 for my 17th birthday, but I think I'll go for an iPod-Touch

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 04:51 AM

To me, the iPhone offers so much more value for the slight extra cost. Compare:

8 GB iPod touch ............8 GB iPhone
$299...............................$399
no bluetooth...................bluetooth
no camera.......................camera
no maps on the go..........look up Google Maps while stuck in traffic over EDGE
no phone........................phone
no PDA focus..................Apple clearly sees iPhone as its PDA golden child
no all-in-oneness...........iPod + phone + camera all in the one device, nothing else to carry

Of course, officially the iPhone requires a 2 year AT&T contract which would add to the price if you wanted to keep your existing contract going.

However, starting next week, there will be a $40 software unlock available which will allow the use of any GSM SIM card, including pre-paid "pay as you go" AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, and any of the other 400 GSM carriers around the world.

So, you could put your existing T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card in, or if you're with Verizon, Sprint, etc, get a cheap of the shelf pay as you go SIM card, and you're set for minimum commitment phone calls.

To me, the choice is very clear.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2007, 05:23 AM

Hi

I will get an iPod Touch to replace my Powerbook, find the new GUI nicer
Mobile Phone: Nokia 1110i may get a new Express cover
Camera: EOS 30D, may get a G9 or IXUS 75

At following link there is some speculation about bluetooth
Does Apple's iPod touch have Bluetooth? - Engadget
i don't care about this functionality, the other connective ports are enough for me

Something that I'm missing on the new iPod touch is the lack of integrated Nike+ functionality
seems that one still needs to attach the bulky receiver; a 32 Gb one wouldn't hurt

Best Regards
( Last edited by darkmatter; Sep 8, 2007 at 05:35 AM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2007, 08:19 AM

I'm going to, but unfortunately I'm currently living in The Land that Apple Gouges (aka Europe), so I guess I'll just have to get gouged. Maybe I can at least get a refund on the sales tax when I return.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
At following link there is some speculation about bluetooth
Does Apple's iPod touch have Bluetooth? - Engadget
i don't care about this functionality, the other connective ports are enough for me
Even if it does have Bluetooth, Apple would probably cripple it to be useless like on the iPhone (no A2DP, no ObEx, etc).

post_break
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2007, 09:48 AM

The lust for the touch is overwhelming. Ill be getting the 16gig as soon as I have the money. It will be nice to not have to carry my macbook to class, instead Ill surf on my ipod.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 10:55 AM

I’ll be waiting 69 days for the price to drop to a realistic $199.

That’s roughly $100 for an 8 GB player plus $50 for a “Gorgeous 3.5-inch widescreen display” and UI software plus $50 for “Wi-Fi web browsing” with software.

-

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
To me, the iPhone offers so much more value for the slight extra cost. Compare:

8 GB iPod touch ............8 GB iPhone
$299...............................$399
no bluetooth...................bluetooth
no camera.......................camera
no maps on the go..........look up Google Maps while stuck in traffic over EDGE
no phone........................phone
no PDA focus..................Apple clearly sees iPhone as its PDA golden child
no all-in-oneness...........iPod + phone + camera all in the one device, nothing else to carry
The issue is... for $399, you can get a 16GB iPod touch. If all you need is an amazing iPod with a number of other cool features... why would you buy an iPhone?

Some people already have perfectly fine mobile phones and are already comfortable with their current wireless providers. Apple needed to introduce the iPod touch, because some of us simply aren't jumping to AT&T for a phone. Perhaps when our contracts are up (my contract ends sometime early next year), I'll consider it. Also, most consumers aren't going to hack their phones. I don't like the thought of being one software update away from not being able to use my phone.

Also, many people use their iPods almost exclusively for <ding> music and movies/shows. The wireless component is cool... don't get me wrong, but I'm one of those people that would probably use the calendar more than the wireless. The thought of surfing on a 3" screen may be great if you are in a pinch, but It isn't replacing my laptop anytime soon.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

Indeed.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2007, 03:04 PM

I'd get one if I had the extra cash for it. And I would like it to be more PDA like.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 03:41 PM

I'll wait it out til the UK iPhone gets released, and see whats what. I'm on an 18 month phone contract til next summer anyway.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2007, 03:42 PM

I'm getting one when go to Hong Kong in November as it shall cost ~£203 instead of £269.

In the meanwhile I hope that it is discovered that (i) it really does have Bluetooth inside, (ii) someone works out how to activate it, and (iii) you can pair a bluetooth keyboard with it. I'll still get one regardless as it's the most accurate embodiment of what I want in my fabled eBook reader in terms of UI and I want to try writing software for it... But if those things are possible, I shall be even happier.

In preparation I've even been finding artwork for the MP3s I have that don't have any yet, and also tagging up my ripped TV shows so that they are nicely sorted.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 03:46 PM

(iv) Someone makes a portable keyboard with an iPod dock connection for the iPhone/iPod touch, similar to the Palm keyboard posted above.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 04:01 PM

For $300 or $400 I can pick from a series of real PDAs with a functionality I can choose (and not Steve Jobs chooses for me) and a SD card slot.

-

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2007, 04:40 PM

I'll definitely buy one. I wish though that it would have more storage.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I'm going to, but unfortunately I'm currently living in The Land that Apple Gouges (aka Europe), so I guess I'll just have to get gouged. Maybe I can at least get a refund on the sales tax when I return.
Well, it's not nearly as bad here on the continent as it is in Great Britain.

Also, U.S. prices are before sales tax, and if you get a "Tax Free" form from the places you buy any goods you intend to take to the States with you, you'll get most of the 19% sales tax you pay here refunded.

Koralatov
Senior User
Sep 8, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I'll wait it out til the UK iPhone gets released, and see whats what. I'm on an 18 month phone contract til next summer anyway.
I'm thinking about doing the same. I really fancy a touch, but the lack of Mail on it is something of a turn-off for me—the iPhone looks more attractive purely for that feature. However, I hope to God that a reasonable (read: actually affordable) data and voice contract appears with the iPhone. I had a look at O2's website (seeing as it's rumoured they're going to be the service provider), and an unlimited data contract with no calls cost £70 (!) a month; on top of that, unlimited actually means:

The Data Max 1024 subscription package allows you unlimited use of O2's 3G/GPRS Mobile Data Services. Fair usage policy applies and average monthly usage is expected to be below 1024MB. O2 reserves the right to apply extra charges or to withdraw the Data Max 1024 service from any individual at any time in the case of suspected overuse or abuse of the service. Any charges introduced shall be binding and final between You and O2 and shall not be the subject of mediation or arbitration.
I think it's safe to say that, unless they sort out a reasonable contract (£40pm, tops) I will be getting the touch instead of the iPhone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 08:31 PM

Hmmm... No volume keys like the iPhone.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 08:39 PM

I'll be my next iPod, but that won't happen until they bump up the capacity. Right now I'm content with my 30gb video and a Palm TX for wifi.

Annette310
Sep 9, 2007, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The 8 GB iPhone is now $400. Plus you can get a refurb 8 GB iPhone for $350, or a refurb 4 GB iPhone for $299.
Ahh...that's true! I wonder how long that offer will last...4GB iPhone for $299? I currently have AT&T. I'm on the family plan with my mom and dad. If I was to purchase an iPhone...I wonder if my plan will increase in cost or stay the same...

Thanks for pointing that out.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2007, 02:48 AM

I'm definitely picking one of these up. For the first time in four years, Apple has released an iPod that I want to upgrade to - I'm currently using a 15 GB 3rd Gen (I loathe the Clickwheel interface, and there haven't been any compelling features that have made me want to shed my old iPod). My music collection is around 22 GB, so this will still be a little small for me, but it's still bigger than my current iPod - but with smart playlist managing, and the possibility of streaming music to the device via WiFi (even if Apple doesn't do it, there's always an SSH client, right?), I'm sure it'll be enough storage to satisfy me. This is the iPhone-without-the-phone that I've been lusting after ever since the iPhone came out. Now I just have to stomach the three week wait.
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2007, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Well, it's not nearly as bad here on the continent as it is in Great Britain.
In Germany, the 16 gig iPod touch is 399 Euro or US$550. In England, it's £269 excluding tax, or US$546. Excluding tax, the prices are both about US$463.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 03:13 AM

In Germany, the 16 gig iPod touch is 399 Euro or US$550. In England, it's £269 excluding tax, or US$546. Excluding tax, the prices are both about US$463.
iPod touch in Switzerland: CHF 649
subtract MP3 player IP tax: CHF 80 -> CHF 569
subtract VAT: 7.6% -> CHF 529
convert to $ -> $441

A 10% markup. Not quite as bad as in Germany or the UK.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2007, 03:24 AM

I may be getting one as a late birthday present, but does anyone have any information about it working on VPNs. Because this is what my school uses and it could make my decision a little easier.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
iPod touch in Switzerland: CHF 649
subtract MP3 player IP tax: CHF 80 -> CHF 569
subtract VAT: 7.6% -> CHF 529
convert to $ -> $441

A 10% markup. Not quite as bad as in Germany or the UK.
I wonder how much of the higher prices in other countries owes to other behind-the-scenes costs like that mp3 player tax. Is it simply Apple's decision, or is it beyond their control? And if it is Apple's decision, why?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 05:31 AM

You're right.

The mp3 player "tax" is €2,41, according to the Apple Online Store.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2007, 09:41 AM

I'm getting the 16GB version. My dad is ripping his CDs because he wants to buy an iPod, I'm probably going to give him my iPod and he'll buy me the 16GB touch. Well, I hope he's up for that haha. If not then I won't be buying one soon. I can't really justify it myself since I have a perfectly good iPod.

The Wifi and large screen are the main reasons for wanting it. Browsing the web on an ipod sounds great to me.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2007, 09:52 AM

Hmmm... No volume keys like the iPhone.
So, nobody cares? This is a big deal for me. I like being able to change the volume on my iPod without having to look at it. It seems like on the iPod touch, you'd have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume. That would be very inconvenient.

Koralatov
Senior User
Sep 9, 2007, 10:29 AM

So, nobody cares? This is a big deal for me. I like being able to change the volume on my iPod without having to look at it. It seems like on the iPod touch, you'd have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume. That would be very inconvenient.
It's a minor annoyance, but not really a deal-breaker, in my opinion. That said, it might put more than a few people off. However, I think it's important to be able to adjust the volume of a call without looking (it's kinda rude to take the phone from your ear to adjust volume mid-call), whereas taking your iPod out of your pocket to adjust volume doesn't seem like a major hardship to me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2007, 10:34 AM

The added problem is I never use that song volume normalizer feature of iTunes because:

1) I don't like the concept.
2) It doesn't eliminate the need to adjust the volume anyway. You just have to adjust it less.

So, every single song would need volume adjustment.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 09:27 PM

I agree with you, Eug.

In fact, I'm kinda staggered that virtually everyone else here prefers the idea of an iPod touch to the iPhone!

(When it was announced, I was like, "why would anyone buy this over an iPhone?" But reading the good comments here, I'm beginning to understand. It's just I've been hanging around other forums too much where international people have been using iPhones as "super-iPods" for months and where unlocked iPhones are now the norm.)

Here everyone thinks "Next gen iPod, great!"
where I think "crippled iPhone, what's the point?"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
I agree with you, Eug.

In fact, I'm kinda staggered that virtually everyone else here prefers the idea of an iPod touch to the iPhone!

(When it was announced, I was like, "why would anyone buy this over an iPhone?" But reading the good comments here, I'm beginning to understand. It's just I've been hanging around other forums too much where international people have been using iPhones as "super-iPods" for months and where unlocked iPhones are now the norm.)

Here everyone thinks "Next gen iPod, great!"
where I think "crippled iPhone, what's the point?"
Lower cost, more storage.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2007, 12:18 AM

Lower cost, more storage.
Well, lower cost for same storage, or same price for more storage minus a good amount of features.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 12:27 AM

If I didn't have an iPhone I would be all over it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2007, 12:40 AM

When did you get an iPhone? I must have missed that.

And yeah, I use the volume keys on the iPhone all the time when listening to music. The volume seems to go up and down in increments that are too big, but it's a lot better than nothing. It would be a huge problem if there was no way to control the volume without unlocking the phone, etc.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2007, 01:04 AM

So, it's confirmed!!!11one

There is no iCal event entry support on the iPod touch. $@#%#$@# stupid:

iPod touch features the same revolutionary interface as iPhone. Built to take full advantage of the large 3.5-inch display, the multi-touch interface lets you control everything using only your fingers. So you can glide through albums with Cover Flow, flick through photos and enlarge them with a pinch, or zoom in and out on a section of a web page. And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts.

Note that they specifically altered the text above from the previous:

iPod touch features the same revolutionary interface as iPhone. Built to take full advantage of the large 3.5-inch display, the multi-touch interface lets you control everything using only your fingers. So you can glide through albums with Cover Flow, flick through photos and enlarge them with a pinch, or zoom in and out on a section of a web page. And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.

I guess I won't be buying either the iPod touch, or the iPhone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2007, 01:13 AM

Can't say I'm surprised. Not when they left off the email client.

Forum Links
Forum Rules