Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Supe Up My Macbook

Supe Up My Macbook
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Nov 22, 2007, 05:30 PM

Okay I wanna give my ol' Core Duo Macbook an upgrade. First off, here's what I'm working with:

White Macbook
- Intel Core Duo 2.0gHz
- 2gb. Kingston Value RAM
- 60gb. stock HDD
- Stock Superdrive (wont read some disks)
- Stock glossy screen (foggy around top center/right side)

Now, this is what I was thinking of doing:
- 120gb. - 160gb. 7200rpm Seagate HDD
- Newer Superdrive or Aftermarket optical drive upgrade (don't know what to look for)
- Sony Vaio matte screen replacement (saw a thread on it)

Is there a way to go all out and upgrade the whole logic board with a newer Core 2 Duo setup? What can I modify (ex: fans, overclocking etc.)?

I'm looking for lots of input, and what YOU guys would do. Thanks!
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 06:24 PM

Sounds like a hassel. What would *I* do? Sell it, work, and buy a refurbed new one.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 06:39 PM

You're better off getting a MacBook Pro with all the work involved in this "supe up".

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 22, 2007, 07:19 PM

Are you kidding me? A MacBook Pro? They start at 2 grand, that's double the budget of parts listed so far.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 07:27 PM

The hard disk is pretty sweet - 7,200rpm and 16mb of cache should be pretty speedy.

The rest isn't worth the effort in my opinion
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2007, 10:58 PM

I don't think you can swap logic boards, and even if you could it wouldn't be worth the price. You'd be better off punting the machine and buying a C2D refurb.

For the optical drive you need something slot loading, which are becoming ever more scarce. Pioneer K06 is probably the best choice here for $70.

For the hard drive you may as well go to 200GB since it's only $180 (cheaper than Apple's upgrade price on a new MacBook Pro).

For the screen you're on your own.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Are you kidding me? A MacBook Pro? They start at 2 grand, that's double the budget of parts listed so far.
Sell your current MacBook to get enough money for a MacBook Pro...

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2007, 01:15 AM

And what if I don't want a MacBook Pro? I asked for help on fixing up my MacBook, not asking for noobs to tell me to buy a different computer....

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2007, 01:31 AM

Haha that's funny:
not asking for noobs to tell me to buy a different computer....
You know there are many mac forums on the web, correct? Just because I'm "new" here doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

And you're looking to "Supe" up your MacBook? I'm guessing I'm not the only one here that thinks this is very dumb...

By the way, you have two stars under your belt here. Wow, good job. We're all impressed.

What a waste of money.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2007, 04:21 AM

You're better off selling and getting a refurb/used C2D MacBook so Leopard can begin to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture.

Otherwise, just stick to a memory and hdd upgrade if you want to "supe" up what you have. The rest of the "upgrades" would cost more time in money and labor than they would be worth.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by hempcamp View Post
You're better off selling and getting a refurb/used C2D MacBook so Leopard can begin to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture.
And those advantages are what?

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2007, 04:14 PM

I chose my words carefully and said "begin to benefit" for a reason. According to John Siracusa's great Leopard review in ArsTechnica:

"Applications compiled for x86_64 don't just get larger registers, they get more registers, plus a more modern calling convention and more addressing modes.

Every 32-bit x86 application can benefit from these changes, it's just a question of how significant that benefit will be."

I couldn't begin to say it better myself. The short of it is that it could help GUI performance (read his review for more details).

--Chris
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 06:31 PM

I've read Siracusa's reviews, but the benchmarks don't usually show 64-bit code being any faster than 32-bit code on the Core microarchitecture; in fact they're usually slower because you're choking yourself out of bandwidth.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I've read Siracusa's reviews, but the benchmarks don't usually show 64-bit code being any faster than 32-bit code on the Core microarchitecture; in fact they're usually slower because you're choking yourself out of bandwidth.
Look, you asked me a leading question (on purpose), and I gave an answer, and you knew what I was going to say or you would have said what you just said now in your original response. This little game is getting off the OP topic.

I stand by my statement. "BEGIN to benefit" Whether that translates to much down the road is yet to be seen.

--Chris

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 11:26 AM

A hard drive and optical drive is going to run me less than $300, and as for labor, I can do it myself. The hard drive is one of the easiest things to change on a MacBook. Some experts

I like to do custom work because it is fun and I am trying to do something not a lot of people do. The screen would be kind of expensive, and the logic board I was just asking about to see if it were at all possible.

So I guess if I ever needed to get a repair done on my car, instead of doing that the guy tells me omfg noob go buy a Lexus instead. I will be sure to think of you guys and listen to him

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2007, 11:50 AM

A hard drive and optical drive is going to run me less than $300, and as for labor, I can do it myself. The hard drive is one of the easiest things to change on a MacBook. Some experts

I like to do custom work because it is fun and I am trying to do something not a lot of people do. The screen would be kind of expensive, and the logic board I was just asking about to see if it were at all possible.

So I guess if I ever needed to get a repair done on my car, instead of doing that the guy tells me omfg noob go buy a Lexus instead. I will be sure to think of you guys and listen to him
If you'd had said to just replace the HD and disc drive, no one would have discouraged you. But, you sid you wanted to replace the mobo to get a c2d, absolutely people will tell you to just buy a new compy. $300 for the drive and HD is VERY close to the cost difference between selling your computer and getting a new refurb. If you change the mobo as well, unless you purely are doing it to tinker, it's a waste not to just buy a new computer.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
If you'd had said to just replace the HD and disc drive, no one would have discouraged you. But, you sid you wanted to replace the mobo to get a c2d, absolutely people will tell you to just buy a new compy. $300 for the drive and HD is VERY close to the cost difference between selling your computer and getting a new refurb. If you change the mobo as well, unless you purely are doing it to tinker, it's a waste not to just buy a new computer.

Replacing the HD and optical drive is doable. Replacing the logic board and screen? That'll be expensive, and at that point you might as well buy a new computer.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 06:02 PM

Go nuts and do the screen too. I want to see it done. I'll even offer to host all the pictures you can throw at me. This offer stands for anything totally awesome these geezers are telling you not to do.

If you can't tell, i'm a DIY kinda a guy myself.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2007, 08:11 PM

I think you need to keep looking for an even slimmer slim-line optical drive (9.5mm, not 12.5mm). I can't seem to find any specs on the one you listed... strike that:

Physical Dimensions: 5.04” (128mm) W x 0.50” (12.7mm) H x 5.00” (127mm) D
That's not going to fit in any MacBook... sorry...
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
I think you need to keep looking for an even slimmer slim-line optical drive (9.5mm, not 12.5mm). I can't seem to find any specs on the one you listed... strike that:

Physical Dimensions: 5.04” (128mm) W x 0.50” (12.7mm) H x 5.00” (127mm) D
That's not going to fit in any MacBook... sorry...
While the 15" MBP needs (or at least initially needed) the 9.5mm drives, I thought the MB (and 17" MBP) took 12.5mm drives.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 27, 2007, 06:04 PM

Well the Sony Vaio matte screen I have seen done with pictures (on this forum too I believe). That would be expensive but really cool to do since you can't get a factory matte MB. The logic board idea was just out of curiosity, so maybe I could have been clearer.

I have decided to just get a new HDD and see if I can get my Superdrive replaced with another Apple one or something.

If I find that Vaio screen on eBay for the right price I will probably order it and attempt the screen mod, and yes I will take a lot of pics!

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2007, 07:23 PM

If I find that Vaio screen on eBay for the right price I will probably order it and attempt the screen mod, and yes I will take a lot of pics!
Well, if you do it, be sure to post up, sounds interesting.

mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2007, 05:47 PM

I would sell yours, get a new SR MacBook combo drive, put 4GB ram in it, and 7200 rpm hard drive, and buy and external HD optical Drive. That's what i have. It is much faster than the older macbooks.

nickw311
Senior User
Nov 30, 2007, 11:59 AM

I would get the bigger faster hard drive and skip the rest.

I am thinking about doing the same thing myself.
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules