Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > UJ-85J-B Not Recognized in PowerBook G4 12" 867

UJ-85J-B Not Recognized in PowerBook G4 12" 867
Avon
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 03:23 PM

I recently purchased a so called "factory replacement" DVD burner, when the CD-RW drive failed in my powerbook G4 12" 867. I took her apart and installed the drive, it is a Panasonic UJ-85J-B. After putting it back together and powering up, the drive is not seen in the system profiler. I threw it into a PC notebook and it works fine. Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to take the computer apart yet again, it took me 4 hours to put that drive in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:37 PM

Sorry, but I suspect you will have to go into the computer again. Did you happen to notice whether the PC listed it as a Master or a Slave?
If you do have to pull it again, I advise leaving out the piece that screws to the back of the optical drive which hooks under the logic board. Makes it much easier to replace, and they don't really have the room to rattle about too much.

It sounds like a loose connection or something simple. You can boot it while its still part disassembled to make life easier too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 06:16 PM

Yes, disassembled the PowerBook 3 times. No kidding. Boy am I good at taking that thing apart now. It came up as master on the PC. I am going to send it back and purchase another brand.

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Jan 6, 2008, 06:21 PM

The cable in the power book is kinda different than all the cables I have seen pics of, it looks like it shorts pins 45-47-49 as opposed to just being a straight cable. To force master I see some folks short 47-49. So something does not make sense to me. Could it possibly be the cable? Its not a loose connection, i tried it 1/2 assembled. I also tried disconnecting the hard disk and using a leopard cd in the drive. It still did not work.

ibook_steve
Jan 6, 2008, 06:47 PM

The optical and hard drives are masters on two separate IDE buses, so there's little chance of a master/slave problem here (each cable sets each drive to master). What's the model number again? I've never heard of UJ-85J-B. Usually they have numbers like UJ-857 or something. Either you have a bad cable or different firmware is required on the drive to make it visible to the machine.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 10:26 AM

The drive should report its model number in system profiler regardless of whether its supported. Drivers for reading discs are universal anyway. Its only burn support you need and that can be enabled with a software update since the 85J is used in some Intel iMacs.
Must be a bad cable.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 07:22 PM

Yeah, didn't even show up. But it did on the PC I tried it in. I think it might have something to do with the cable. I will take a pic of it next time I get a chance. The powerbook originally had a CDR/RW . It did not have the CDROM. Could this one have the wrong cable in it by mistake?

Forum Links
Forum Rules