Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: Wow! Brand New 80GB 6th Gen. iPod Classic with soft case and hard case included!

FS: Wow! Brand New 80GB 6th Gen. iPod Classic with soft case and hard case included!
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 08:10 PM

Cliff Notes:
Selling a BNIB 80GB iPod Classic
Price: $229
Price Includes: 80GB iPod, Soft case, Hard case, ONLY eCheck PayPal, and Ground Shipping
Contact Me How?: PM or E-mail at georgie A T nyu D O T edu

Sadly, I need a new cell phone to replace an aging one that is falling apart instead so this needs to go.

iPod touch not enough capacity for you? This iPod is for you!

Brand new in box 80GB iPod Classic! Still in its plastic wrapping. Included are both soft and hard cases to suit your constantly changing lifestyle ($30+ value!).

Great as a starter Classic kit! Great also as an all-in-one gift to a loved one, or even great individually as separate gifts for those pesky in-laws that have historically beaten up their iPods and asked you for help at how not to scratch the chrome backing.

All of this is yours for only $229, including both eCheck PayPal and ground shipping! I have references as "Whorehay" on Fred Miranda's photography forums and I'm well known on S2ki.com as MrForgetable.

Pictures below:

Thanks,
George
( Last edited by MrForgetable; Feb 18, 2008 at 10:14 PM. )
iamwhor3hay

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2008, 10:12 PM

It's a violation of the Paypal terms of agreement to charge extra for the fee.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 10:16 PM

Fixed! Thanks for the heads up.
iamwhor3hay

osxpinot
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's a violation of the Paypal terms of agreement to charge extra for the fee.
Seriously, why do people here police this?

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by osxpinot View Post
Seriously, why do people here police this?
Because it's in the best interest of the community and those interested in purchasing?

osxpinot
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gnomexp View Post
Because it's in the best interest of the community and those interested in purchasing?
Did you think before you posted? It's in the best interest of the community that this guy should have to eat 3% on his sale because he was nice enough to offer PayPal?

It's better for the immediate buying part of the community, not the selling. Moreover, with people here policing this issue, sellers become discouraged from even offering PayPal for payments, so ultimately, everybody is hurt by this "vigilantism."

This isn't against MacNN policy, PayPal is not going to come crashing down this domain, it was clearly stated in the terms, nobody is getting ripped off, and breaking a profit-maximizing policy has no moral implications, in my opinion. Essentially, it nobody's business.

Seriously, where the hell do you get off doing this? Is PayPal a force of good in the world that you feel you must support?
( Last edited by osxpinot; Feb 19, 2008 at 10:40 AM. )

sledsbehave
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 03:23 PM

Did you think before you posted? It's in the best interest of the community that this guy should have to eat 3% on his sale because he was nice enough to offer PayPal?

It's better for the immediate buying part of the community, not the selling. Moreover, with people here policing this issue, sellers become discouraged from even offering PayPal for payments, so ultimately, everybody is hurt by this "vigilantism."

This isn't against MacNN policy, PayPal is not going to come crashing down this domain, it was clearly stated in the terms, nobody is getting ripped off, and breaking a profit-maximizing policy has no moral implications, in my opinion. Essentially, it nobody's business.

Seriously, where the hell do you get off doing this? Is PayPal a force of good in the world that you feel you must support?
on the same note, are you the break paypal's terms of service police?

there are benefits to using paypal. it gives you a larger selling audience. i personally won't buy anything unless i can use paypal. when i sell i don't mind losing some % for a generally smooth transaction. i get my money quick and can send the item quick or i can make my payment quick and get my item quick.

if you don't want to take a hit as a seller, don't use paypal. you know it going in.

regardless, he changed it, done deal.
as ever,
sonny

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 05:14 PM

Errrr, why not just add 3% to your initial selling price and keep quiet about it? What's the difference between that and stating a price + 3% for PP fees?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 06:40 PM

Alright. Since you think you can justly violate Paypal's terms of agreement that you must agree to to use the service, why don't you just pirate a thousand songs and let the RIAA know?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Errrr, why not just add 3% to your initial selling price and keep quiet about it? What's the difference between that and stating a price + 3% for PP fees?
I agree. No reason to get all worked over it.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 09:51 PM

So... does anyone here actually want to buy the thing?
iamwhor3hay

osxpinot
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Alright. Since you think you can justly violate Paypal's terms of agreement that you must agree to to use the service, why don't you just pirate a thousand songs and let the RIAA know?
I'm not going to even dignify that 'response' with a reply; I can't even make sense of that analogy. Unless you were actually interested in this item and trying to work the seller down, there is no explanation other than you are on a power trip. Sure you want to devolve this into an ethics debate because you have nothing else to say, but I'm not going there.

To the original poster - I am not going to reply further to this thread and I am sorry that this happened. I felt like this had to be said.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2008, 12:03 AM

Nice enough to offer PayPal? Wow.

Using PayPal for a transaction payment is most convenient for the seller. Hence why the fee is charged to the seller for use of the service.

As far as charging the buyer for the PayPal fee being against MacNN policy; From where I stand, it is. This is something I have policed for several years. It is against the PayPal EULA and that's good enough for me and MacNN.

iMitchell; Thank you for correcting the OP on his error.

MrForgetable; Thank you for editing your original post without any fuss.

osxpinot; Considering you had no interest in this transaction either way, your attitude over this is inexcusable. Especially given the fact that this issue had been resolved before you even posted.

Avoid creating this type of situation in the future.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Feb 20, 2008 at 01:12 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules