Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Questions about G4 Cube fan project

Questions about G4 Cube fan project
netgo
Feb 6, 2002, 09:52 AM

Hello.

Recently I've updated my cube to WD 7200rpm 120GB and GeforceMX2 32MB (apple oem, pulled from quicksilver).

Machine works fine. But I am concerning about heat. So I ordered Zalman 80mm fan. http://www.zalmantech.com/ZM-F1.htm It is supposed be a very quiet fan.

I researched xlr8yourmac. But nobody clearly explains about how to connect power. Zalman fan comes with 3pin power.

Can I connect it to my VGA card? What will happen when display goes to sleep and/or machine sleep? Or should I make special connection to HD power or cdrw power?

I found that cube mother board has two strange connection pin. Is it for power connection?

This fan support 12v and 5v mode. If I use 5v, is it enough for cooling?

Thanks in advance.
Apple G4 Cube 450/1.5GB(3 133Mhz 512MB Dimm)/CDRW/WD 7200RPM 120GB/GeForce3/Fan/Apple 17" LCD/SoundStick/HP G85
External WD 7200RPM 120GB firewire
Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse
iMic, Palm usb-serial, a Router, powered usb hub

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2002, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by netgo:
<STRONG>But I am concerning about heat. So I ordered Zalman 80mm fan. </STRONG>
I have a cube with a WD1000JB (100GB 7200rpm) and a GeForce2MX. I have it on all day and I have had no heat issues with it. I used to have a 75gxp in there and it got quite warm, but the WD drive is much cooler.

If you insist on using a fan, I guess you can get a power cable splitter and attach it to the power cable for the hard drive.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: saru boy ]

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2002, 02:34 PM

While in Osaka last summer, I saw fans specifically made for the cube in a couple Mac stores while I was there. I don't know why they were never made available here though. It is pretty hot and humid there, so I can see it being a concern.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
<STRONG>While in Osaka last summer, I saw fans specifically made for the cube in a couple Mac stores while I was there. I don't know why they were never made available here though. It is pretty hot and humid there, so I can see it being a concern.</STRONG>
Are you talking about that external fan unit that acts as a base for the Cube, or a fan that you install inside the Cube? I'm going to Osaka this weekend...maybe I should take a look around those stores. Any suggestions?

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2002, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by netgo:
<STRONG>Can I connect it to my VGA card?</STRONG>
Why don't you use a Y splitter for the hard drive power (12 and 5V are there)? I even think, that's what the article suggested, if I remember correctly.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2002, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by saru boy:
<STRONG>

Are you talking about that external fan unit that acts as a base for the Cube, or a fan that you install inside the Cube? I'm going to Osaka this weekend...maybe I should take a look around those stores. Any suggestions?</STRONG>
It was an external item that was a base, like you said. Sorry, I didn't realize this was for INTERNAL fan options.

Nonetheless, go to Den Den Town and look around. You'll most likely find one there. Can't hurt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules