Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Offical Rackmount Hardware Speculation Thread...

Offical Rackmount Hardware Speculation Thread...
gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 09:45 PM

meh, someone had to start it....

so what does everyone think we'll see next week?
G3 or G4?
how much ram?
what kind of ram?
what speed CPU?
Will this be the first Mac to have DDR? or Gigawire?

don't look at me, im just the topic starter....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

iamnid
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 10:01 PM

obviously it will be g4... all the current servers are g4.. heck even the eMac and iMac are g4 now.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2002, 10:29 PM

Well, this is pure speculation, but I think it would be something like this. I would like to see a faster motherboard and RAM, but who knows what's going to happen.

G4 x2 @ 1.2 Ghz (perhaps -high end- 1.4 Ghz's)
RAM: 512 standard (4 slots for 2+ gigs)
160 SCSI standard

No Gigawire (think about it... It doesn't make any sense on a rack mount)
Two USB
Two Firewire

Regular video card.

The system doesn't need a crazy video card, designed case, etc.

It just needs to be fast and reliable.

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 10:37 PM

As one of the few that might actually buy one, I'm hoping for hot swappable power supplies, card slots, and hard drives. G4 processor, 512-1.5GB RAM, nothing too fancy. We want lots of hardware in a small space at a good price, I hope Apple delivers. That Apple's making a rackmounted server at all is great.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 01:26 AM

There's four things hardware wise that would make me seriously look over an Apple rackmount.
  • An on-board SCSI controller (Ultra 160) with a native SCSI drive option.
  • OpenFirmware over a serial/network connection a la Sun systems. This is important if you have to unfsck systems in the lowest possible level.
  • A new memory controller with 64-bits of addressable RAM and enough DIMM slots to support several GB of RAM. If not a full 64 then an interim amount like 36-bits like Intel did with their Xeon chips.
  • Dual processors in all the available speeds.

Most PC companies offer rackmount systems but they are little more than their regular PCs in a rackmount case or if you're lucky have a low profile design motherboard. For big boy jobs these systems aren't taken seriously until you get into the multi-thousand dollar Xeon systems with four processors in a 3U chassis. For to want to spend the money on the rackmount it better have the capability to handle some intense software. Four DIMM slots and a single processor isn't quite enough to give Apple rackmounts distinction over anybody else's. Dual 800-1000MHz G4s with several GB of RAM would however. You don't buy rackmounts because they are iSomething you buy it because it is giving you the best ROI or integrates well into the system you've already got in place. IMHO the only REAL server Apple has ever released was the Network Server 500/700s. Everything else has been just a BTO PowerMac with AppleShare stuck on it (broad generalization, yes WebObjects is excluded from mention). If they do release a rackmount I hope it would be a real enterprise class system and not just a G4 motherboard in a 1U chassis.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Graymalkin ]
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
<STRONG>If they do release a rackmount I hope it would be a real enterprise class system and not just a G4 motherboard in a 1U chassis.</STRONG>
Let's all hope it really is a 1U chassis ... I'm not too sure about that.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 06:18 PM

From the picture I've seen, it appears that it is not 1U.

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2002, 06:47 AM

Posted a picture before :-)

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: JohnD ]

jcadam
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 07:50 AM

I think we already have a good idea what the motherboard will be.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2002, 08:57 AM

What makes all you guys think they will anounce a rack mount?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

metfoo
May 9, 2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>What makes all you guys think they will anounce a rack mount?</STRONG>
because jobs announced it....

I highly doubt that is the mobo. I can see apple doing a low profile. Being a rackmount, i highly doubt it will have the airport slot.

Heres my sepculation:

G5!!

Apple cannot release it as a G4 and shortly afterward release a G5 desktop. They would need to make it meet or exceed their high end desktop system.

So, I see a G5, up to 4GB DDR 10/100/1000 SCSI

I cannot see thme realeasing a G5 PowerMac if the release a G4 powerRack(?)
See my mac mini at http://ribitch.com/mini/

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 10:59 AM

I don't think they'll have G5s - has Motorola actually put any full computer-oriented (i.e. the non-embedded G5s) into production yet? I don't know if they'll be running G4s above and beyond the desktop speeds, either.

However, some things that are very likely, in my mind:

- dual or even quad G4s (as parallel processing is the bread-and-butter of many rackmounts) with 1 GHz being there at least on the high-end - possibly being superceded

- CD-RW and/or DVD-R drive options (for backing up data)

- 512 MB of (DDR?) RAM minimum, up to at least 1.5 GB (more, if they can manage)

- that you get OSX Server (go figure)

- gigabit Ethernet will definitely be there (as servers and processing 'farms' need fast connections most of all)

- one or more of both Firewire and USB ports; that would allow capacity to be extended, as well as data backup that doesn't require an optical drive in every unit (you could even use an iPod in an emergency!)

JohnD, I have to ask - is that picture real? I believe I saw a photo from the expo earlier, but I'd like to be sure. Either way it certianly looks nice... I think it would make for the first case of rackmount systems being chosen based on visual appeal.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>What makes all you guys think they will anounce a rack mount?</STRONG>
Excluding a glimpse at a brushed-metal faceplate resembling the Titanium PowerBook, Jobs declined to provide additional details about the "major release" of a dedicated, rack-mounted server until its unveiling May 14. Nevertheless, he did specify a few features of the new server OS that will accompany it. Besides LDAP, NetBoot and NetInstall support, the server will be able to run headless. It will also feature a server-optimized Java Virtual Machine; disk, print and mail quotas; and support for Python, Fast CGI, YCC and Ruby.

Link

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 03:19 PM

I don't think that Motorola is good enough to keep a secret like production of the G5 under wraps. They're not concerned enough with Apple's policies - don't care about Apple - don't investanyhting in helping their buyer. They stink. And they wouldn't care about Apple's designs for secrect\y.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

austeros
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 09:55 PM

the problem i see with releasing a g5 rackmount... is that it would kill desktop sales unless they released a g5 desktop.

im not saying that the rackmount would hurt desktop sales, but announcing a g5 machine that isnt a desktop would red flag the inevitable release of a g5 desktop, which would keep many from buying a new g4 tower

i think it will be dual 800 and dual 1gighz. pity though

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>I don't think that Motorola is good enough to keep a secret like production of the G5 under wraps. They're not concerned enough with Apple's policies - don't care about Apple - don't investanyhting in helping their buyer. They stink. And they wouldn't care about Apple's designs for secrect\y.</STRONG>
You're right that the project couldn't be kept completely secret. Remember that while the Apollo G4 had been announced approximately 15 months prior to the introduction of the current Silvers, we didn't really know the chip was coming out until the announcement of the machines.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 02:01 PM

my guess:

Two versions:
Dual 800Mhz G4
Dual 1Ghz G4
133Mhz SDRAM
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 02:41 PM

Single 1GHz + 512MB DDR(2GB max) - $2800
Dual 1.2 GHz + 1GB DDR(2GB max) - $3300
Dual 1.2 GHz + 2GB DDR(2GB max) + 72GB Ultra160 scsi - $4500

agentz
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 03:09 PM

Ok, so the official unveiling is tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what time?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

alexforsythe24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 03:35 PM

1U Rackmount - Single G4 1GHz - 2GB DDR Max - Onboard SCSI Ultra160 - hotswappable HD ready - 73.4 GB standard with 1 open bay - giga-ethernet - firewire - USB - 8MB Graphics

3U Rackmount - Double G4 1GHz - 4GB DDR Max - Onboard SCSI RAID Ultra160 - hotswappable HD - 182 GB (36.4 GB x 5) - giga-ethernet - Firewire - USB - 8 MB Graphics

4U Rackmount - Quad G4 1.2 GHz - 4GB DDR Max - Onboard SCSI RAID Ultra 160 hotswappable HD - 367 GB (73.4GB x 5) - hotswappable PCI - hotswappable Redundant Power supplies - dual giga-ethernet - Gigawire (plus the ability to cluster multiple servers via gigawire) - USB - 16 MB Graphics

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: alexforsythe24 ]

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by alexforsythe24:
<STRONG>1U Rackmount - Single G4 1GHz - 2GB DDR Max - Onboard SCSI Ultra160 - hotswappable HD ready - 73.4 GB standard with 1 open bay - giga-ethernet - firewire - USB - 8MB Graphics

3U Rackmount - Double G4 1GHz - 4GB DDR Max - Onboard SCSI RAID Ultra160 - hotswappable HD - 182 GB (36.4 GB x 5) - giga-ethernet - Firewire - USB - 8 MB Graphics

4U Rackmount - Quad G4 1.2 GHz - 4GB DDR Max - Onboard SCSI RAID Ultra 160 hotswappable HD - 367 GB (73.4GB x 5) - hotswappable PCI - hotswappable Redundant Power supplies - dual giga-ethernet - Gigawire (plus the ability to cluster multiple servers via gigawire) - USB - 16 MB Graphics

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: alexforsythe24 ]</STRONG>
[sarcaim]oh the optimisim, and don't forget well will have G5 at MWNY[sarcasim/]

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by austeros:
<STRONG>the problem i see with releasing a g5 rackmount... is that it would kill desktop sales unless they released a g5 desktop.

im not saying that the rackmount would hurt desktop sales, but announcing a g5 machine that isnt a desktop would red flag the inevitable release of a g5 desktop, which would keep many from buying a new g4 tower

i think it will be dual 800 and dual 1gighz. pity though</STRONG>
Rackmount customers and Pro-Sumer customers of between 1-10 towers are completely different customers. These rackmounts will be expensive, not expandable and will be targeting a completely different market.
~Peace~

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 05:57 PM

Weren't they supposed to be released today?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>Weren't they supposed to be released today? </STRONG>
nope, tomorrow (tuesday) at 9am PST...

Macintosh
Banned
May 13, 2002, 08:23 PM

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by JohnD:
<STRONG>Posted a picture before :-)

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: JohnD ]</STRONG>
Would look good in me rack.... ya think it'd be good for music?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 08:41 PM

Here is a pic from WWDC.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 13, 2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by andymcdeee:
<STRONG>

Would look good in me rack.... ya think it'd be good for music?
</STRONG>

niiice rack
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Macintosh
Banned
May 13, 2002, 08:51 PM

Built on the fearsomely fast PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine � the first supercomputer on a chip � the Macintosh Server G4 with Mac OS X Server is an explosive combination of cutting-edge hardware and software. And whether you plan to use it for a large corporate website, design or publishing firm, higher educational institution or K-12 computer lab, the Macintosh Server G4 with Mac OS X Server is so easy to use that it�s ready to hit the ground running minutes after you plug it in and turn it on.

MacMan77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
<STRONG>

Here is a pic from WWDC.</STRONG>
WOW!! That looks real. Do you have any specs on the machine?

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 13, 2002, 09:47 PM

I dont have any specs, that was a image that flashed on the screen during job's keynote.

We will see tomorrow though.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
May 14, 2002, 12:31 AM

So has anyone used an Apple server as their desktop machine? If the specs on that rackmount smoke, I may just try it!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2002, 01:01 AM

don't expect to good of an expreiancie using Quartz Eztream because I think the Video card will be mighty pathetic because there is no need for it. I'd just get one for DC and RC5 link here

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2002, 09:38 AM

When does the confrence kick off?

Any news?
CHRIS SMITH

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2002, 10:17 AM

Lets see here, it will be a [censored] server with [censored] and [censored] for [censored]. It will also have [censored] [censored] and [censored]. Overall pretty cool, a viable market, and some good competitition to servers like the [censored] from [censored].

At least everyone gets to find out here in two or so hours. Should be quite nice.
<This space under renovation>

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2002, 11:13 AM

according to MacNN news area it will happen at 9:00 am PST, we will have to wait and see.
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2002, 09:28 AM

You may find this thread alive and well in the new forum, Servers - OS X & Xserve, based on feedback from mods and members. Thanks.

We're keeping the Power Mac forum strictly for Power Mac G3/G4 discussion and support (and speculation about the G5, of course).

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules