Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What Old Apple Gear Would You Buy to Collect?

What Old Apple Gear Would You Buy to Collect? (Page 2)
nikstar101
Sep 29, 2008, 10:15 AM

I have a Mac IIcx which i saved (it was being used as a door stop in a school). And i bought a Newton 2000 a number of years ago (8+) but now i have an iPhone its not really needed.

I have still kept some old odd stuff, like Apple Design Speakers, Apple SCSI external CD drive, and a couple of old (never used) mice.

I would try to keep all that stuff if possible. The real porblme is what i do with my PowerMac G5 when i get a Mac Pro. I don't really want to sell it, as it is the last of the PowerMac series. But i have absolutely nop use for it.

nikstar101
Sep 29, 2008, 10:23 AM

Since i cannot seem to edit my posts on this computer. I will add:

I always wanted a Beige G3 tower like the 9600 or something. A Cube would be great, just for display purposes but i was never really that impressed by it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 04:43 PM

Oh, I think I'd really like a Pismo Powerbook too, mostly because it's so distinctive and has been seen in so much media type stuff (TV shows, movies, etc).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 01:16 PM

I have what was my dream computer when I was a kid right here by my feet. A Quadra 700!

Amazing looking at it now and remembering how out of reach it was as a kid, and how fast it seemed. When it was new, the thing cost 3x as much as my new mac pro did. That cool sideways floppy drive was the best thing ever!

I had a Cube, but sold it while they were still current and used the money to buy a Bronco which I drove for a few years. Amazing the comparative value of things. I traded an 8" cube of plastic and metal bits for 2 tons of steel and a big V8.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 05:18 PM

The Quadra 700 was lightning fast. I remember acquiring a PowerMac 6100/60 and thinking it would be faster

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The Quadra 700 was lightning fast. I remember acquiring a PowerMac 6100/60 and thinking it would be faster
When I was looking at which Macs we would be buying for the agency I was working at I remember reading a review of the Q700 in Mac User (probably). There actual words were

"You will never need a faster Mac"

Still I very liked the 700, it was probably the best of the Quadras.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2008, 12:52 AM

Pismo.
Mac Fanatic

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2008, 10:46 PM

I just added to my collection: a 12" PowerBook G4 from eBay. (Couldn't decide between that or a netbook like the Lenovo S10 -- finally got a good deal on the PB.)

I have a 15" G4 iMac (although I'd like to get a USB 2.0 model).

I want a G3 iMac and a G5 iMac so as to have the complete set (currently use 20" Intel iMac).

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 10:58 PM

I had a Lombard for a while and absolutely loved it but to collect? None. I don't need anymore junk. I'm already out of room as it is.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2008, 11:43 AM

Today I just sold my PowerMac G4 533 and 17" CRT ADC ASD for $200! I bought them both new in 2000, the G4 has been a great machine over the years for me, if I had a giant house I probably wouldn't have sold it.

I had a Pismo for a while, that was an awesome machine. 500MHz, airport, firewire.

Dunno if I'll be adding anything to my collection beyond things that are very useful, ie current hardware.
ice

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2008, 11:58 AM

Other things of interest that might be a challenge to find:

Apple OneScanner - Connects with SCSI interface.
Powerbook 100 - Subnotebook actually designed by IBM
Apple Portable - 1st active matrix screen on a Mac
Lisa - Mac Predecessor.
Apple Speakers - A set of powered speakers around the early Power Mac days w/ Apple Logo on the front.

Forum Links
Forum Rules