Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Safari on 3G crashing all the time!

Safari on 3G crashing all the time!
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2008, 07:23 AM

Any one else having this problem?

Like every minute or two.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 08:14 PM

Use Google, or Apple's support site.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Oct 17, 2008, 10:11 AM

I have this problem, so does my wife - not sure if it is every minute or two but it is WAY more frequently than it was before 2.1, and way too frequently in general. I hope it is fixed in the next update.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 01:05 PM

It's brutal. Yes.

And the non-stop reloading of a page when you switch tabs is even worse. Makes reading a newspaper or using Google Reader almost undoable in any modern way. Sure... You can click on one story at a time... Wait for it to load... And read it in a linear manner. What web user does that though? Tabs are worthless if every time you go back to one it reloads the damn page.

</rant>
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2008, 03:38 PM

It crashes a lot for me too on 2.1. Usually when Safari starts to lags, there's no doubt it'll close on me. It's very agonizing anticipating that....
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2008, 11:58 PM

since I upgraded to 2.1 I have noticed Safari crashing less than before, although it still crashes occasionally which is something I wish apple would figure out.

moep
Senior User
Oct 20, 2008, 04:12 AM

My impression is that it just about always crashes when it runs out of RAM.
Closing unused tabs and avoiding resource-intensive pages seems to help but I’m hoping for a fix as well.
Also, don’t surf while the iPod is running in the background.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 05:24 AM

Perhaps clearing the history and the cache would also help, along with a reboot of your phone. Stability has been a major issue for me too, but not quite as extreme as every few minutes.

moep
Senior User
Oct 20, 2008, 08:30 AM

I just listened to a podcast where people claimed that the iPhone’s mail daemon keeps crashing and restarting with push enabled. Their theory is that this constant cycle of crashes and restarts eats up lots of ram and occasionally causes programs (like MobileSafari) to crash.

So if you are really desperate disable Email-Push for all of your accounts and use fetch only.
I’m trying it right now and Safari hasn’t crashed since I set my MobileMe account to fetch, but that might be a placebo. YMMV.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 12:42 PM

on my 3G I have not noticed a problem with having too may windows open in terms of crashing. It seems to crash with 1, 2,3 or10 safari pages open. It just crashes and crashes!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
It's brutal. Yes.

And the non-stop reloading of a page when you switch tabs is even worse.
What he said.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
It's brutal. Yes.

And the non-stop reloading of a page when you switch tabs is even worse. Makes reading a newspaper or using Google Reader almost undoable in any modern way. Sure... You can click on one story at a time... Wait for it to load... And read it in a linear manner. What web user does that though? Tabs are worthless if every time you go back to one it reloads the damn page.

</rant>
This drives me nuts.

As for the crashing issue - I can't pin it down. Some days it crashes like crazy, other times it's flawless.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 09:39 PM

yes, i too can go for days w/out it crashing and the have it crash 10 times in a day. no ryme or reason to it!

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2008, 07:19 AM

Sadly glad I'm not alone. I've been on the road and so V busy but will try out some suggestions like clearing the cache, rebooting and setting email to fetch.

I had wondered whether one of the 3rd party apps I'm using was causing the problem. But I don't really have the time to have to test them all.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
What he said.
What they said!

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2008, 09:45 AM

How often to yall give your phones/pods a good restart? I make it a point to do it every couple of days. I've found I've run into these types of problems less since I started doing that.

I know it isn't a real "solution." Apple does need to fix this type of stuff. I wonder what newbies to Apple think when they buy this "awesome" phone as their first Apple product and it starts behaving this way.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
How often to yall give your phones/pods a good restart? I make it a point to do it every couple of days. I've found I've run into these types of problems less since I started doing that.

I know it isn't a real "solution." Apple does need to fix this type of stuff. I wonder what newbies to Apple think when they buy this "awesome" phone as their first Apple product and it starts behaving this way.
I shutdown every day, plus restart a couple of times a day to keep things snappy. Not very practical.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post

It's what I have had to do with every mobile phone I've ever had (as recommended by the manufacturers as well), but what puts me off doing it so often with the iPhone is how long it takes to boot - it feels interminable. That and the fact that it feels more like a Mac than a phone so I have this mental attitude that I shouldn't need to reboot it so often just to make it run. I've started doing so more often though; about once every three or four days.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2008, 11:52 AM

all the iPhone have this issue. some more than others.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules