Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A show of hands of people that have completly migrated to OS X for good...

A show of hands of people that have completly migrated to OS X for good...
Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 02:21 AM

I would just like ot see a show of hand of people that no longer use OS 9 and have made a full switch to OS X. And those of you that have not made the switch witch apps and or OS X features are holding yo back.

Me? I am still in OS 9 not beacuse of OS X any more (since 10.1 ROCKS! ) But beacuse there is no Carbon PS 6.0 and FCP 2.0 those are the 2 big things keeping me from using OS X as my main OS .

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2001, 02:28 AM

It's my main OS. It has been since the release of 10.0. There are a few things I use 9 for, but most can be done easily in Classic. I'm in OS 9 now, but I don't really have a reason. Too lazy to restart I guess.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2001, 02:31 AM

On my PowerMac G4, I am using 10.1 full time with only the occasional trip into Classic.

On my iBook 500, I have 10.1 installed and don't even have OS 9 on the system. 100% X, bay-be.

Very glad to be rid of OS 9

Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
<STRONG>I would just like ot see a show of hand of people that no longer use OS 9 and have made a full switch to OS X. And those of you that have not made the switch witch apps and or OS X features are holding yo back.

Me? I am still in OS 9 not beacuse of OS X any more (since 10.1 ROCKS! ) But beacuse there is no Carbon PS 6.0 and FCP 2.0 those are the 2 big things keeping me from using OS X as my main OS .</STRONG>

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2001, 02:52 AM

Not me. Maybe when I get 10.1 on. But even then most of my stuff is in Classic so why bother with X?
I'm a Nile Crocodile

tmornini
Oct 15, 2001, 03:08 AM

<STRONG>I would just like ot see a show of hand of people that no longer use OS 9 and have made a full switch to OS X.</STRONG>
Haven't used OS 9 on a Macintosh that I own since March 22 (I bought it early from Staples!) Have switched my father and sister's machine as well.

I have been in OS 9 a few times during installations, since I start with OS 9. I can't believe that anyone would serious suggest that they prefer OS 9 in any way to OS X, though I certainly understand that without native applications, some simply can't make the switch.

Just recently I was in OS 9 to get iDVD off my Software Restore CD. I really hope that iDVD 2 ships before I finish editing my video so I won't have to spend much more time in OS 9. :-)

True story: I was completely amazed when I put the CD in, and the computer froze for 4-5 seconds. I thought it had locked up completely, as I have many not-so-fond memories of OS &lt; 9. Then the CD popped up, and everything was OK. Man, what a crappy user experience!

Then, I copied the disk image file to the hard drive. It came up and said it would take 6 minutes. That seemed too long. I rebooted back into 10.1, made the same copy, and it only took 3 minutes! So much for 9 being fast. Oh, yeah, I was surfing while it copied, also! :-)
--
-- Tom Mornini

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 03:09 AM

Full time since the public beta was released (yea those were a few hard months but I did have an OS 9 machine available for essential things). Now, classic works for everything I need it to work for (photoshop, word etc.) and I spend all my time in 10.1.

I love this OS! It will be truly awesome when all the major apps are ported.

Y

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 03:32 AM

I'm full time now in 10.1 with the G4 867 and part time on the Pismo.

Classic in OS X is better than booting into OS 9 for most things. It runs about as fast and it seems more stable. Somehow Classic apps get their memory allocated automatically. You can still do USB printer sharing from Classic. You can even drag a selection from a Classic app's window to an OS X app's window. Pretty seamless.

On the Pismo I schedule it to wake up early in the morning and record a Baroque program from the radio before I wake up. OS X doesn't seem to support scheduled wake up and shut down and my recording program is no Carbonized.

Formac Studio Pro's TV application is not yet out for OS X but they say they are working on it.

Delta Graph Pro won't run in Classic for me but that might be solvable. Haven't tried hard enough to know yet.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2001, 03:40 AM

Booting into 10.1 full time, but using Classic for a few apps which have yet to make the transition: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Outlook 2001, various games such as AC Alien Crossfire. These apps work very well in Classic, so I don't plan to boot into 9 any time soon. The only glitch I've found is that the cursor leaves artifacts on the screen while playing games, but they disappear quickly so this is minor.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2001, 04:34 AM

I'm about 50/50 - that is one Mac using OS X, the other OS 9.

I still need OS 9 for ADSL, printing to my old Localtak PS printer, but I expect that when the ADSL drivers arrive next month, I'll be full time.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 04:44 AM

Show of hands, huh?

I find putting up with using Photoshop (and occasionally InDesign in Classic much easier than running OS 9 native. I can't remember when the last time I booted one of my machines into OS 9 was.

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Rickster ]
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 04:54 AM

No major audio apps (or plugins) on OSX. In particular, the one I use: Pro Tools.

(ahem)

Otherwise, I can deal with Photoshop and Illustrator running in Classic, for the most part. Always a little disappointing to have to boot into 9. "Oh, but this isn't exciting at all! And where's my shell, dammit!? I gotta ssh..."

Zoomzar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2001, 04:55 AM

I have been using X since 10.0. Now I am in X full time, and I don't even have 9 installed on my TiBook!

Zoomzar

kangoo_boo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by aleph_null:
<STRONG> And where's my shell, dammit!? I gotta ssh..."</STRONG>
try MacSSH from versiontracker )

- full time osx with 64ram
- i am having hard time
hotline://hl.chatonly.org
mp3://radio.chatonly.org

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2001, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by Nile Crocodile:
<STRONG>Not me. Maybe when I get 10.1 on. But even then most of my stuff is in Classic so why bother with X?</STRONG>
Stability, stability, stability. Check my adventure thread for more details. (Page 1, Page 2, Page 3)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 05:41 AM

I've been using X since the PB. I have not restarted into *shudder* OS9 since that time. I do use photoshop often although not enough to send me back to OS9. I even used to play Quake3 through classic.

GameRangerX and Photoshop are the only two things left on my list.

j3kyll
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2001, 06:17 AM

I mainly use OSX, but my family uses OS9. For the lazyness factor, I cant be bothered rebooting back in and out sometimes

I am in 9 now, cuz I intend to do some flash work tonight - no flash5 OSX.

OSX pages far too much for my liking, and I am on 256mb ram. Either I need another 256...... or apple fix this problem My G4 is 6 months old, and its damn well gunna last another 18 months min

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2001, 06:57 AM

I switched over for the most part back before Christmas last year. Now that I have a scanner solution(Vuescan and SCSI) the only reason I go back is to use Norton or Diskwarrior. My wife will have support for her Epson 1280 in a couple of weeks, so all she will need is a Smart Media reader which runs native under X. She switched a couple of weeks before the Albany Apple store opened and found it to be very helpful in fielding questions on her new job--a lot of people are coming into the store with questions about X, and she can give them answers from a user, non-geek point of view.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 07:01 AM

I only ever use 9 for 2 games now...

Unreal tournament (X version crashes on my machine OPEN AL bug)

Tony Hawks 2

No game pads in X

That's it 95% in X

Cheers Edd

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 08:08 AM

I don't even have Classic installed.

michael.
Ti/500/512/20GB

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 15, 2001, 08:13 AM

I have two machines: a B&WG3 350 and a Powerbook G3, 333. I'm about 99% of the time in OS9 on the B&W. I do alot of webdevelopment in GoLive, and quite frankly, GoLive runs like ass in Classic. Although, I must say OS9 has been impressing me lately. I'm typically running 19-20 apps and I can get about 2-3 days on it before it commits suicide. On the lapt top, I'm about 99% of the time in OSX 10.1. I use it as a ssh terminal, surfing, etc. I have the free WaveLan drivers in it and I typically hunt around the house in it. So far, I haven't had any problems with 10.1 on it.

So, in summary, the only thing keeping me in 9 is GoLive. I can deal with all other apps in classic if I have to. But GoLive need to be updated pronto.

gfxgeek
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2001, 09:01 AM

I'm running only X.1 on my g4 450. My wife is also only running X.1 on her iMac 500. We have both completely gotten rid of classic. Gotta love X

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: gfxgeek ]
PowerMac G4 450mhz 256mb RAM 2/26gb HD RagePro128 Internal Zip OS X.1
iMacDVSE Graphite 500mhz 256mb RAM 30gb HD OS X.1
Macintosh SE 1mb RAM 2/800k FD OS 6.0.3
Macintosh Quadra 610 25mhz 4mb RAM 230mb HD OS 7.1
Macintosh Quadra 605 25mhz 4mb RAM 80mb HD OS 7.1

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 09:04 AM

I need to boot into 9.2 to burn CDs on my SCSI CD-R and to get the pictures off my digital camera (either directly connected or through my USB Sandisk Imagemate). the card reader is supposed to be supported but their tech support is stonewalling me.

I've been 98% on OSX since March 22.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Michaelm8000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 09:05 AM

WOW!! i did not reilize that so many users had already made the switch! I envely all of you!! PhotoShop X is coming...Some day

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2001, 09:06 AM

No classic on my iBook. All X baby.

X was the reason I switched over from PeeCee's. I don't use Photoshop, or play any games (I use my PeeCee for games, a GeForce is better than an ATI Rage). I use my iBook for programming (great in X), writing papers (MS Office beta handles that quite well), and internet/email (entourage and Omniweb). I am completely classic free

All glory to the hypnotoad.

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 09:15 AM

<STRONG>WOW!! i did not reilize that so many users had already made the switch! I envely all of you!! PhotoShop X is coming...Some day </STRONG>
This is lame There are at least two alternatives to Photoshop that are now shipping. No they aren't Photoshop, so if you work in an environment that *requires* Photoshop, then you'll have to wait.

However, if you're doing stuff on your own and are just used to Photoshop, then you owe it to yourself to try these:

Photoline 32: http://www.pl32.com/ - the site sucks, but the software doesn't (too bad)
Corel PhotoPaint: http://www.corel.com/ - my new personal favorite. Very nice piece of software... try it.

You need to at least try them.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

rstevens
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2001, 09:20 AM

/raises hand. since march.

kneissl
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2001, 09:30 AM

OS 9 Does not have much to offer anymore.. now that i have cracked the DVD player, the only reason I would want to switch back is for a couple games. There is just no other reason for me now..

-=-=Ad Astra Per Aspera=-=-

Mac-arthur
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2001, 09:41 AM

Been using 10.1 for my default OS as soon as I got the final. Its been great! I only go into classic for scanning. I still have to boot 9 for burning CD's but with UMAX and Roxio both supporting my devices in X soon OS9 will be a fading memory.

I'll miss some parts of 9 but I haven't had an OS crash or freeze since i installed 10.1 and thats worth the trade offs.

"the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2001, 09:45 AM

99.9% in OS X, with the occasional boot into 9 only to run NU and DiskWarrior to check/repair my X partition.
And using Classic very little, basically only for scanning.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2001, 09:56 AM

100% Pure OS X since 3/24/01 on two machines. I have booted back only to do Airport (not since 10.1) and for reading my 1GB Microdrive (not since Image Capture works with my camera in 10.1).

Very excited about OS X and cannot wait to see what happens in the future.

Imagine.... if it is this good on .1, .5 will just be amazing!

BZ

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2001, 10:15 AM

<font face = "courier">
[hand raised] - 100%.

I mean, OS 9 is sooo....20th century
</font>

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2001, 10:21 AM

I've used X since the public beta, 100%. When I clean installed 10.0 I didn't even install OS 9. My daughter uses 9 and its soo...clunky...
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2001, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by rstevens:
<STRONG>/raises hand. since march.</STRONG>
Man , I bet your arm's getting tired!

Full time OS X at work, even though I'm running alot of apps in Classic. Classic is more stable than 9.2 was.

Occasionally boot into 9 at home to burn audio CD's. OS X there 95% of the time.

Love it. No crashes yet, after two weeks.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 11:03 AM

I'm very close. Right now the big thing for me is professional music
software applications that I use aren't there on X yet. They're going
to be released very soon, but are just not there yet. So I go back to
9 in order to use them when I need to.

Otherwise, I'm living in an X world and loving it.

G4/400/768 megs ram, etc.

Lerkfish
Oct 15, 2001, 12:12 PM

99.9% 10.1

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2001, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
<STRONG>Stability, stability, stability. Check my adventure thread for more details. (Page 1, Page 2, Page 3)</STRONG>
You're joking right? First off a lot of stuff does not work in Classic. Like drivers and what not. Or drag and drop from the OS X Finder to Classic apps.

Buit back to the point. How could running OS 9 within OS X be more stable than running OS 9 on it's own. The only reason I could see is restarting 9 without a reboot. But give all the other problems that's not even worth it.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 01:01 PM

If drag-and-drop from OSX finder to a classic app doesn't work for you, then there's a problem with your particular setup. I've been doing that since 10.0.0.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Mr_Solar_Wind
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2001, 01:09 PM

What's OS 9?

Lwlgeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2001, 01:11 PM

I am only using OS9 for two apps(Virtual PC and AOL) at this point. Virtual PC is working on an OSX version. I don't know about AOL.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2001, 01:23 PM

AOL has an OSX version in beta. Still based on 5.0, unfortunately, but it gets the job done.

As for me, I boot into 9 for only two things now. The first is burning CD's with my old SCSI burner. Roxio is supposedly working to make Toast SCSI-compatible; that would keep me from booting into OS9 for that.

The other one, unfortunately, I will likely never get rid of, and that's Virtual Game Station. Connectix has already said they won't Carbonize it. So unless someone can write an OSX-native PSX emulator that can read my VGS memcard files (I have ten of them just for Xenogears, for crying out loud, and I'm not even done with the game yet!), then I'm stuck.

Luckily, someone's already made a VGS memcard editor, so the files probably can be imported by an emulator if it can get its hands on that code. But no emus yet, sadly...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Nile Crocodile:
<STRONG>

You're joking right? First off a lot of stuff does not work in Classic. Like drivers and what not. Or drag and drop from the OS X Finder to Classic apps.

Buit back to the point. How could running OS 9 within OS X be more stable than running OS 9 on it's own. The only reason I could see is restarting 9 without a reboot. But give all the other problems that's not even worth it.</STRONG>
For me Classic mode is most definitely more stable than booting directly int 9, and I presume that's because it operates as a program within OS X, which handles all the root-level functions of memory mgmt. etc. better than 9 did. Restartng Classic without a re-boot is MUCH MUCH faster than booting into OS 9. Compare three minutes to restart my machine in OS 9, with about 1 to launch Classic. I've been running Illustrator and Photoshop in Classic for two weeks now without either app crashing hard, or freezing Classic, much less the whole machine. Major, major improvement in my life.

Stability, for me anyway, has improved greatly, and all my devices which aren't supported by OS X yet, work fine under classic. (scanner, laser printer, imageseter, etc.)

Cut and paste on the clipboard from 10.1 to Classic apps works fine for me, by the way.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2001, 01:51 PM

My home machines - OS X 100%

My work machine still uses OS 9. I need FCP/Combustion
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

ARENA
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 02:58 PM

I left Mac OS 9 in March 24th.
I�ve been supporting Mac OS X since i got my hans on the DP4, and i really enjoy it.

As i said, it has been my OS for about 7 months, and nowadays, with 10.1 it is flying in my Pismo.
I only boot in 9 to run speed disk every once in a while, but for other thing, i hate using 9.

I can run Photoshop and GoLive in classic without problems. And now that i got GoLive 6 b, i have one less reason to use classic... oops, i shouldnt have said that yet.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2001, 03:07 PM

I've been full time in OSX ever since I got my Cube five months ago. All that's left in classic for me now is Photoshop, Palm Desktop and Windows Media Player... all three confirmed to be coming to OSX. Once I've got those, I'm ditching my OS9 installation completely.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: ckohler ]

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2001, 03:11 PM

I converted right away...sacrificing the ability to watch DVDs (thank you 10.1), because 10 is the way of the future, and it already contained everything I needed in a OS, while still being Macintosh.

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2001, 03:16 PM

I'm on Mac OS X 10.1 == 100%. As a college student learning how to write and develop software, this is by the far the best OS to do it on esp with a Ti. The only thing stopping me from deleting my Classic partition is my Epson 5700i laser printer. I'll stop right there.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2001, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by memento:
<STRONG>If drag-and-drop from OSX finder to a classic app doesn't work for you, then there's a problem with your particular setup. I've been doing that since 10.0.0.</STRONG>
Boy do hate answers like this. I had hoped all the "well it's your config'" type support questions would go away with OS X. Maybe it't not me? Maybe it's the fact that OS X and Classic aint all that great. All I know is when I tried to drag an icon from the X Finder to the Palm installer it did not work. When I boot into 9 it's fine.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2001, 03:21 PM

I've been entirely in X since the beginning of the summer. I would have switched entirely over with 10.0.0, but at that point I was taking an English class and needed to write papers... At this point I don't even have OS 9 installed on any of my computers, just 10.1 on one and 10.0.4 on the other (will be 10.1 as soon as I can borrow my friend's update cd again or get to a store that has them).

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2001, 03:23 PM

Games keep me coming back to 9. UT, Starcraft, Diablo II (the last two because the two button mouse doesn't work in Classic on those games).

I'd stop using classic if Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator and a good font management utility shipped. I'd really like Pagespinner to be carbonized, but will switch to BBedit if need be.

I switched my wife's lowly rev. A iMac (196Mb RAM) when 10.1 came out. Combining the window compression hack (enablement) with ShadowKiller and it's quite surpising how useable it is. It's a bit sluggish, but she doesn't seem to mind. Besides, eventually we'll get a Ti.

I'll be very dissappointed if OS X doesn't address the metadata issue better than it currently does. I suppose that won't keep me from using it, but still.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2001, 03:49 PM

Well my Rev C iMac's been running OS X since March 24th full time and my icebook's been running OS X since the 10.1 update on Sept. 29th.

Forum Links
Forum Rules