Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 Kernel Panic Screen

10.2 Kernel Panic Screen
kangoo_boo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 06:49 PM

Hi,
i know you all loved that leet kernel panics we had in OSX, that black&white stuff on ours screens (yet i really kinda liked it
well in 10.2 it's gone
just had my 1st kernel panic
Screens fades (you ask yourself wtf ? trojan? lol-) then u are displayed a nice message in a few languages saying a computer malfunction occured, and that you have to push power button.
It doesn't include any informative stuff about the panic :-(
but it's very friendly
altough.. it doesn't really say that it was a panic, it just say a problem
hotline://hl.chatonly.org
mp3://radio.chatonly.org

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 19, 2002, 06:57 PM

The kernel panic technical info is saved in NVRAM and written out to disk when your machine is rebooted (at which time the file system is in a safe state).

Sounds like a good idea -- the average user sees a less threatening message, and technical users can easily access the kernel panic backtraces, etc.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by kangoo_boo:
<STRONG>
Screens fades (you ask yourself wtf ? trojan? lol-) then u are displayed a nice message in a few languages saying a computer malfunction occured, and that you have to push power button.
It doesn't include any informative stuff about the panic :-(
but it's very friendly </STRONG>
Actually it just happened to me, and I took a digital photo of it. I have never licked kernel panics before, but I have to admit thisone was nice! Very apple-like! What is even better is that it now created a panic.log in the /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ folder. (see below) I guess this means no more taking pictures of your monitor with the kernel panic, eh?

panic(cpu 0): lockmgr: pid 784, thread 0x 1d23490, not exclusive lock holder pid 787 thread 0x 1d23664 unlocking, exclusive count 1
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x000844B8 0x00084738 0x00028EA0 0x001D9BB4 0x262F83C8 0x262F819C 0x262F83F4 0x262F8BDC
0x262F7F8C 0x26302348 0x262FA500 0x000BE0F8 0x000BB5E4 0x001E8EF8 0x0020A838 0x00090DB0
0x72000000
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.filesystems.smbfs(1.1)@0x262ea000
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x25F36000)
PC=0x900041EC; MSR=0x0200F030; DAR=0x0314E000; DSISR=0x42000000; LR=0x00005FE4; R1=0xBFFFF050; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 6.0:
Wed May 1 01:04:14 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-282.obj~4/RELEASE_PPC

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: karbon ]
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 19, 2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by karbon:
<STRONG>

I have never licked kernel panics before...</STRONG>
How did the 10.2 kernel panic taste?

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: Guy Incognito ]

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 19, 2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>How did the 10.2 kernel panic taste?</STRONG>
&lt;ralph&gt; IT TASTES LIKE BURNING! &lt;/ralph&gt;
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 19, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
<STRONG>

&lt;ralph&gt; IT TASTES LIKE BURNING! &lt;/ralph&gt;</STRONG>
Hehe!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2002, 11:32 PM

This is a Very Good Thing, if only for one reason. By putting a crash log out to a file, you can copy and paste.

This said, it would be nice to have the option of seeing the information onscreen too.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

CommonSense
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 12:58 AM

Mac OS X: Our systemwide crashes look better than the other guys' desktops.

Wow . . . never thought I'd have a reason to hope for a kernel panic, but now I do!

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 01:01 AM

Wow, even the power button is faint on the background. Man it almost makes me want a KP as well!

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2002, 01:20 AM

So how often are KPs due to the kernel itself? Should apple have a "send kp info" bit toggle whenever there's a kp so you're asked to send the information to apple when you next login? Or would this just flood apple with reports that aren't their software's problem? (not that it would hurt them to pass the message along).
~BS

jcadam
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 01:31 AM

I used to get Kernel Panics on my Beige G3. Haven't seen any EVER on my iBook or my B&W G3.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2002, 02:21 AM

The KP is much more friendly now, and the watermark power button is a nice touch. I still think there should be an Aqua style bomb icon in the window, but this is cool.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
<STRONG>I still think there should be an Aqua style bomb icon in the window, but this is cool.</STRONG>
No no, I hate the bomb icon. It give me nightmare, seriously!

Marienbad
May 20, 2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>

No no, I hate the bomb icon. It give me nightmare, seriously!</STRONG>
And it would be so inappropriate, too, given the relatively friendly screen. Perhaps the bomb symbol could be replaced by a picture of friendly ol' Colonel Panic, the gentlemanly retired soldier.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 08:50 AM

Ahh man that sucks!

I like the cool lines of text going down the screen, looks more unix/l33t style.

Thow this is probably better for the normal user.

Oh and big mac, I NEVER WAN'T TO SEE A BOMB ERROR AGAIN!!!

I hate those things, they scare me half to death!!

P
May 20, 2002, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>The kernel panic technical info is saved in NVRAM and written out to disk when your machine is rebooted (at which time the file system is in a safe state).

Sounds like a good idea -- the average user sees a less threatening message, and technical users can easily access the kernel panic backtraces, etc.</STRONG>
It's a very good idea. I think the OS should present the user with the option of sending that file (along with a System Profiler report and optional user comments) to Apple on the next reboot.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 20, 2002, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by P:
<STRONG>

It's a very good idea. I think the OS should present the user with the option of sending that file (along with a System Profiler report and optional user comments) to Apple on the next reboot.</STRONG>
That'd be cool...once the computer's rebooted, it should ask whether you want to send the crash log to Apple via Mail.app (or whatever default e-mail client you've chosen).

ROFL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>

That'd be cool...once the computer's rebooted, it should ask whether you want to send the crash log to Apple via Mail.app (or whatever default e-mail client you've chosen).</STRONG>
XP does that when a program crashes. It asks you if you'd like to send an error log to Microshaft. It says that no personal information is collected, but I'm sure a lot of people don't believe that

I usually send 'em though. It would be nice of apple to do the same. It does nothing but make OSX that much better in the future.

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by ROFL:
<STRONG>

XP does that when a program crashes. It asks you if you'd like to send an error log to Microshaft. It says that no personal information is collected, but I'm sure a lot of people don't believe that

I usually send 'em though. It would be nice of apple to do the same. It does nothing but make OSX that much better in the future.</STRONG>
Although the idea and concept is good, I don't believe Microsoft is hard at work trying to analyze and check all the crash logs it recieves. Imagine just how many they get each and every day! (I've probably sent 50 already)

However, they might have some software that can summarize and compare the crash log, then create a weekly or so report of what kind of things that causes most of the crashes. (for instance if some kind of ATI card is the cause for 10% of all crashes, they know it's serious and that they should fix it)

Also, another problem with kernel panics is that they are often caused by 3rd party developers, something that Apple doesn't have any control over. However, it shouldn't be hard to just route those errors over to the appropriate developer..
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2002, 11:45 AM

Considering the number of those damn messages i get in WinXP MS either ignores them enlarge, has WOPR analyzing their meaning or has a staff of thousands sifting through them.

Whenever they do pop up their are usually 3-6 of them an I frankly don't want the annoyance of the crash.app. I get enough with OW. It is a good idea but would ned a global preference in hw to respond....

Then again, in a year I have had only one kernel panic.... so i guess it doesn't really matter.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2002, 03:38 PM

It'd be nice if Apple provided an easy way for developers to include the crash report feedback in their apps. Right now, the only ones I've seen are from the Omni Group. If Apple could make this an easy feature, where all the developer needs to add is the e-mail address and subject the e-mail should have. I mean, under most circumstances, why does an app crash? Because the app itself did something wrong, not the OS. Who would better benefit from the info? Apple or the company?

KPs are another thing, though. Apple should receive those unless of course your PCI ATA card is screwing up your hard drives and the company promises OS X support. Then that company might want to see them.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 20, 2002, 04:51 PM

Heh...that picture with the power button watermark kinda looks like your computer is flipping you off -- which, I s'pose it kinda is.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

markko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2002, 06:22 PM

Nooooooooo i am disperate now!!! i want the old ultra-geek kernel panic screen back!!

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: markko ]

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: markko ]
------------------------------------------
Gnu the world!!!

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 20, 2002, 06:32 PM

Hey, they are taking a page out of Microsoft's book by making a crash look NOT like DOS!

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
<STRONG>... has WOPR analyzing their meaning...</STRONG>
All those flashing LEDs must do something.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
May 20, 2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>Hey, they are taking a page out of Microsoft's book by making a crash look NOT like DOS!</STRONG>
Exactly, is your window which is liked certain small? you had known
you the point namely in regard to me who do not reach to you!
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 20, 2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
<STRONG>

you the point namely in regard to me who do not reach to you!</STRONG>
What the heck is that supposed to mean???

Mac The Fork
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 11:03 PM

Where is the power key?

Hey, they are taking a page out of Microsoft's book by making a crash look NOT like DOS!
Apple is taking a page out of its own book.

K++
Senior User
May 20, 2002, 11:23 PM

Does anyone have a picture of an old school kernel panic? If not could someone use real kernel panics to make a realistic looking screenshot? I wanna use a kernel panic as my desktop picture.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 21, 2002, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
<STRONG>

you the point namely in regard to me who do not reach to you!</STRONG>
But success is the name that certainly spells doom to orange folly, fish cakes.

snomac
May 21, 2002, 03:37 AM

I've gotten a few kernel panics from my Soundsticks and it's kind of intimidating and jarring when KPs pop up. They look way too serious and would scare inexperienced users. This is a great thing, nice of Apple to take care of something small that contributes to the overall user experience.

eno
Banned
May 21, 2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>The kernel panic technical info is saved in NVRAM and written out to disk when your machine is rebooted (at which time the file system is in a safe state).

Sounds like a good idea -- the average user sees a less threatening message, and technical users can easily access the kernel panic backtraces, etc.</STRONG>
What a brilliant idea. Now that's innovation for you. It's almost a shame that we don't see these things too often!

Ah well. It's been a while since I saw the dread black and white modal bomb dialog. Nowadays it's the spinning beach ball I dread -- and it would appear that 10.2 will get rid of that too (well, replace it, at least!)

Spirit_VW
Senior User
May 21, 2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>

But success is the name that certainly spells doom to orange folly, fish cakes.</STRONG>
Therefore in regard to you, therefore in regard to time that with the
mistake, the thing, many subjects namely your junk element clear it
forced and it erupted your special window which either one grasps here
it was not proven.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by K++:
<STRONG>Does anyone have a picture of an old school kernel panic? If not could someone use real kernel panics to make a realistic looking screenshot? I wanna use a kernel panic as my desktop picture.</STRONG>
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=006257

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Xeo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules