Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Deleting Office serial number

Deleting Office serial number
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2002, 11:26 PM

I accidentally installed the same serial number on 2 computers at work for MS office for OSX. I need to delete the serial number on one of the computers and enter a different serial.

No matter what I do I cannot get MS office to forget the old serial number. I tried deleting the invisible "Office PID" file and the user folder. Still no luck.

If you could help me out that would be great.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 12:45 AM

All I can suggest is posting this on the microsoft.public.mac.office newsgroup. MS people frequent that newsgroup and could probably help you out. The MS news server is: news.microsoft.com

Good Luck!

Agent69
Agent69

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 12:48 AM

There was a topic about this earlier, but I don't remember exactly what needed to be deleted. I suggest you delete all installed files in /Applications and all the libraries, then reinstall. That should do it.

wacko2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2002, 07:57 AM

There is a hidden file in the Office X folder, in the Office Folder, called OfficePID. It is hidden and you can use the terminal to delete it. Next time you run an office app, it will ask for a new number. Make sure no Office X apps are running when you delete this file as the file will be created on quit.
[image]http://homepage.mac.com/macbrando/presstone.jpg[/image]

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by wacko2001:
<STRONG>There is a hidden file in the Office X folder, in the Office Folder, called OfficePID. It is hidden and you can use the terminal to delete it. Next time you run an office app, it will ask for a new number. Make sure no Office X apps are running when you delete this file as the file will be created on quit.</STRONG>
Thanks, but like I said I tried deleting that along with the user data folder and the whole office folder. It still seems to remember the serial though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ShyWizard
Banned
Jan 22, 2002, 10:27 AM

try purchasing the product next time. Too bad you can't get support for the product you moron. Data piracy is a serious crime nimwits!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by ShyWizard:
<STRONG>try purchasing the product next time. Too bad you can't get support for the product you moron. Data piracy is a serious crime nimwits!</STRONG>
Looks like you are the moron. The program is purchased by my work and I installed it on 2 computers not knowing I had to enter 2 serial numbers. Now that I have the other serial number here I can't get rid of the other one.

But thanks for your input
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 06:34 PM

<STRONG>try purchasing the product next time. Too bad you can't get support for the product you moron. Data piracy is a serious crime nimwits!</STRONG>
heheh, one of the few times i can dignify using appropriately. its like shywizard was waiting on his perch, ready to POUNCE on somebody that has a serial number issue so he could make himself feel like a big man. i love it!

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 06:37 PM

there is a app called offix i think, that allows macs to use the same serial for office X on a network. i'll see if i can find it for yah.

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 08:55 PM

SHOS-

What about running Uninstall Office and reinstalling?

Yo! Kennebunkport! York Harbor here!
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by BTP:
<STRONG>SHOS-

What about running Uninstall Office and reinstalling?

Yo! Kennebunkport! York Harbor here!</STRONG>
Did that. I trashed office the user folder and the invisible Office PID file. It still doesn't wrok.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 09:22 PM

Wow. How annoying. You can search this forum to find terminal commands that will turn off the ports that Office uses. I can't recall the thread name, but it is something akin to "Microsoft spying on us.."

I know that isn't what you want to do, but it's a fix. Let me know if you need help finding it.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 09:25 PM

<STRONG>Wow. How annoying. You can search this forum to find terminal commands that will turn off the ports that Office uses. I can't recall the thread name, but it is something akin to "Microsoft spying on us.."

I know that isn't what you want to do, but it's a fix. Let me know if you need help finding it.</STRONG>
Actually, I tried that also. The problem is when you restart OSX it forgets the settings. PAIN IN THE BUTT!

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>

Actually, I tried that also. The problem is when you restart OSX it forgets the settings. PAIN IN THE BUTT!</STRONG>
Are you talking about the ipfw command? Of course OS X would "forget it" since it's a program that you start and after restart it's no longer running. If you want it to be on all the time, after every restart, you'll have to put a script into the StartupItems folder. I don't know how to make the Startup Item though, sorry.

b*tchy
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2002, 09:54 PM

deleting both the applications folder and the preferences worked for me... if not you can disable the ethernet block:

Details here:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=000734

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2002, 09:59 PM

Ok I figured it out. It seems that I have to delete the invisible Office PID file, the users folder, all MS office prefs and the application.
As stupid as that sound it is the only thing that worked.

It seems that if you forget one it regenerated itself and spreads.

Thanks for your help though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

digdog
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2002, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Actually, I tried that also. The problem is when you restart OSX it forgets the settings. PAIN IN THE BUTT!
You can make it as StartupItems, baby~

/Library/StartupItems/Office/OfficeCrack (chmod this to 755)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ipfw add <font color = blue>0</font> deny udp from any to any <font color = blue>2222</font>
/sbin/ipfw add <font color = blue>0</font> deny tcp from any to any <font color = blue>3464</font></font>[/code]

/Library/StartupItems/Office/StartupParameters.plist

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
{
Description = <font color = red>"Office v.X Crack"</font>;
Provides = (<font color = red>"OfficeCrack"</font>);
Requires = (<font color = red>"Resolver"</font>);
Preference = <font color = red>"None"</font>;
Messages =
{
start = <font color = red>"Cracking Office v.X"</font>;
};
}
</font>[/code]

[xeo: fixed the [code] tags]

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Xeo ]

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 11:41 PM

All this trouble... Did Yoda teach you nothing??

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2002, 12:15 AM

<STRONG>All this trouble... Did Yoda teach you nothing?? </STRONG>
I have a hard time understanding the bastard. Everything he says is backwards.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 12:24 AM

Have a little compassion. Learning disabled is he..

nigeltheaber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 07:18 PM

OK. I had the same problem - by mistake, I entered the Product Key of another worker in my office. - Tried the ipfw thing for a while, but it's a pain to do every restart.

So, I found the OfficePID file in the 'office' folder (it's hidden, so i used CL to find the file) and deleted it and RESTARTED my machine - It worked no problem! I simply re-entered the correct Product Key and no problems.

eno
Banned
Jan 29, 2002, 11:54 PM

ShyWizard is a gay nigger.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2002, 12:23 AM

His sexual orientation and ethnicity are irrelevent. He is a nitwit, but read on.

Intolerance, unlike being a nitwit, can't be abided, you pathetic, insecure specimen.

Go away, and don't come back until you reach puberty (which I'm guessing won't be for a good many years).

[Edit: made it easier to understand, for the dimmer readers, the ones who slum to such hate-filled rhetoric.]

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Since EBCDIC ]
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by Since EBCDIC:
<STRONG>His sexual orientation and ethnicity are irrelevent. He is a nitwit, but read on.

Intolerance, unlike being a nitwit, can't be abided, you pathetic, insecure specimen.

Go away, and don't come back until you reach puberty (which I'm guessing won't be for a good many years).

[Edit: made it easier to understand, for the dimmer readers, the ones who slum to such hate-filled rhetoric.]

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Since EBCDIC ]</STRONG>
Easy there, San Francisco!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2002, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
<STRONG>

Looks like you are the moron. The program is purchased by my work and I installed it on 2 computers not knowing I had to enter 2 serial numbers. Now that I have the other serial number here I can't get rid of the other one.

But thanks for your input </STRONG>
This may work as a preliminary solution. Install Brickhouse on one of the machines. Add a filter to block all traffic at port UDP 2222.

Sophus

Sorry, didn't se the other post on this.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Sophus ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules