Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2: Order by Type in Column View?

10.2: Order by Type in Column View?
jindrich
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2002, 12:51 PM

i don't know if this is yet/will be implemented in Jaguar but it surely must.

can you specify how items will be ordered in column view with 10.2? there shuld be Type (my default) as well as the usual size, name, date...etc.

i know this is some kind of a Windols feature (if only they had column views, but they have others) but i cant live without it in my icebook.

BTW, another button any finder windows MUST have is the simple arrow pointing "up" (one level up). Very useful when you're in List view. Again another fvcking windols feature but i dont give a damn. We need it. (remeber that "up" it's not the same as "back". not always. Theres already something similar to UP: the pop down that shows you the whole path. OK, but sometimes you just need to go up one level quickly, with a simple click. the popdown requires a lot of mouse/trackpad manouvres)

my 0.02€

<small>[ 07-04-2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: jindrich ]</small>

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2002, 01:16 PM

dude, just hit cmd+up arrow to move one level up. Simple.
Or Cmd+click on the folder name on the titlebar to navigate.

Regarding sorting in column view. It can be a little disorienting not doing it by name. I like the simplicity of the existing column view and feel that feature creep needs to be avoided. SNAX will let you arrange columns perhaps you should buy that product if you *really* need this feature.

jindrich  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2002, 01:17 PM

oh i forgot,
another must have: a REFRESH button in finder windows.
even if the windows are supposed to refresh automatically, because i'm sure that if you're exploring a network volume -which could be a PC- the finder is not sending msgs the whole time thru the network to see if anything has changed.

at least i know it doesnt refresh networked (Windows) volumes on 10.1.5. I couldnt do anything to refresh but to completely close the server and connect to it again. a waste of time.

jindrich  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2002, 01:30 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> dude, just hit cmd+up arrow to move one level up. Simple.
Or Cmd+click on the folder name on the titlebar to navigate. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">a laptop as fewer keys that a regular keyboard and some key combinations are more difficult than others, specially if you have the 'book in a way that only one hand can be used. Besides there are people with disabilities than cant do some movements. a simple point and click is better.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> Regarding sorting in column view. It can be a little disorienting not doing it by name. I like the simplicity of the existing column view and feel that feature creep needs to be avoided. SNAX will let you arrange columns perhaps you should buy that product if you *really* need this feature </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">OK, you dont need it, dont set it up that way, but there are who may want it. I think it's better to have a choice

regards.

b*tchy
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2002, 02:45 PM

I too desperately want sort options in Column view. My suggestion would be to have the sort options available in the View menu, via command keys and via a contextual menu. I always sort by kind or date depending on the project. Never sort by name which is why I rarely use column view even though I love it otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules