Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Video editing over Gigabit Ethernet vs FW 800

Video editing over Gigabit Ethernet vs FW 800
jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2007, 11:40 AM

Hello everyone! I need some advice based on experience.

I have been editing my home movies on my macbook pro with FCE and iMovie, but it really eats up the hard disk space. I can only really work on one project at a time due to hdd space. I really need to do all my editing on an external storage device. Here are my 3 options.

1) I have a linux file server at my house with a 500GB raid 5 setup. It is very fast and it's connected to my home network via a GIG E switch. I have thought about mounting this up and editing directly over a gigabit file share.

2) FW 800 - This would require a purchase, but I should be able to get away with < $200.

3) USB 2 - This would be cheaper, but slower than FW 800.

In my mind, it is between the network share, and FW 800. What do you guys think?

Has anyone edited movies over a gigabit attached network share before? How is the performance?

Forum Links
Forum Rules