Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Bandwidth hogging: new iPhone or iOS 11 or...?

Bandwidth hogging: new iPhone or iOS 11 or...?
ibook_steve
Oct 2, 2017, 06:05 PM

Background: I just got an iPhone 8 to replace a 6s. Soon after I started using it, I noticed bandwidth issues on my home wifi network: app update downloads would slow to a crawl. I ran speed tests from the phone and a separate tablet I have (Android) and the download speed, normally over 100 Mbps, would be down below 1 Mbps. The weird thing is that sometimes speed tests would randomly go back to normal and then get slow again. Also, streaming video to my phone or Apple TV or tablet does not show any issue. Browsing and regular use on all devices seems to be fine.

I proceeded to try disabling wifi devices on my network one by one to see if I could isolate the problem. At one point it looked like the Apple TV. At another point, I realized I had the old phone still turned on. I turned it off and things seemed better, temporarily.

I'm kind of at a loss to explain this bandwidth hogging. Could it be my internet connection? I have a brand new Cisco R6400 router which unfortunately does not have device bandwidth monitoring. Any ideas of what I could try to figure out this problem?
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 3, 2017, 08:04 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:54 AM. )

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2017, 05:40 AM

I'm going to say iOS 11. I've been traveling and been limited to low bandwidth and have noticed the internet coming to a crawl while iOS 11 downloaded the past two updates, despite having Updates turned off in Settings.

I don't understand why they are automatically being downloaded, I know that they are because they're available to delete under manage storage. I only have two devices on the network and the AirBnB host didn't change the default pw for the router so I'm able to see the devices attached.

Not sure if it helps ... and hello to another san jose bruh.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2017, 05:59 AM

Photos.app syncing/processing?

P
Oct 12, 2017, 10:32 AM

If you have also updated to High Sierra, it has a new feature that lets a Mac cache updates for iOS devices. In Windows terms, it is a poor man's WSUS. Check that this feature did not get enabled by mistake.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules