Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > software uninstaler

software uninstaler
linuxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 02:17 PM

hi brothers

im an romanian and i have a i-mac g3
i have a questins in mac os 8.6 are an program add remove programs?
where is it?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by linuxu:
hi brothers

im an romanian and i have a i-mac g3
i have a questins in mac os 8.6 are an program add remove programs?
where is it?
Hi Linuxu, greetings from America. There is no built-in uninstaller application in either the classic Mac OS (OS 9 and below) or Mac OS X. The reason is we Mac users generally don't require uninstallers - for the most part, our developers behave much more responsibly and don't deposit files all over the place like developers do on Windows. Some application installers do also have an uninstall function, which you may be able to get to by opening the installer while holding down the option key. But for the most part, the way programs are removed on the Mac is by dragging their folders to the trash. There may be some support files on the drive (like preferences files), and you can find and trash them too if you wish. In some cases you may need to go to the Extensions or Control Panels folder in System Folder to trash control panels or extensions that may have been installed along with the program you're removing, but for the most part you don't need to think about that. Finally, Aladdin Systems (now named Allume) sold/sells an uninstaller for the Mac OS named Spring Cleaning. You may well be able to track down an old copy some place. The new version of Spring Cleaning is only compatible with OS X. But, as I said before, you really don't need an uninstaller on your Mac.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
But for the most part, the way programs are removed on the Mac is by dragging their folders to the trash.
That right there sums up the unintstall process.

linuxu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 02:27 PM

i've been download from yahoo.com an yahoo mesenger 2.5.3
and when i want to log in my i-mac give me an mesege whit an error grade2 and he close my mesenger.
when i want to open it again my i-mac give me an meseg vith an error grade 3 and too he told me "this aplications olready runing" but i dont see it,isn't minimisated

can somebody help me?

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules