Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Please help - install OS9 Illustrator on new ibook

Please help - install OS9 Illustrator on new ibook
GoDucks
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 05:03 PM

Hi there,

My wife was previously using a G3 iMac running OS9 at her office and was using an OS9 version of Illustrator (Sorry - don't know the exact version but I suspect it was one of the last versions designed for OS9.)

Anyway, she has just been given a replacement machine which is the latest G4 iBook (the new one with the built in wireless) and needs to install the Illustrator. She has the install disks but cant seem to figure out how to do it.

I have a PB12 Inch that I bought new over the summer which lets me launch OS9 apps but she has none of this on her machine. Any suggestions - can the older version of Illustrator be installed on the latest iBook.

Chris

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2004, 04:38 PM

Apple stopped installing the Mac OS 9 System Folder by default on the newer Macs, so you have to install it yourself. There are two ways to do this. The simplest way is to connect the new Mac to an older Mac with a valid OS 9 System Folder and simply copy it to the root level of the new Mac's hard drive. You'll need to be logged in to an administrator account on the new Mac to do this. Another method that you may prefer is to find the Additional Software/Hardware Test CD that came with the iBook. Put that CD in and when you open it you should see the Classic installer along with a Read Me on the subject. Then, once Mac OS 9 is installed, you will be able to launch and use OS 9 applications from within OS X.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules