Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Has Sony convinced you?

View Poll Results: Are you going to get a new cheap PS3 or PS3 Slim?
Poll Options:
I'm getting a PS3 Slim when it comes out 6 votes (21.43%)
I'm getting an 80 GB PS3 right now 1 votes (3.57%)
The price cut isn't big enough 4 votes (14.29%)
I would only buy a PS3 if they offered me $300 5 votes (17.86%)
I already have a PS3 but I can't see a poll without voting in it 12 votes (42.86%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Has Sony convinced you?
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 02:49 PM

This was begging for a poll, so I guess I may as well be the one to make it. Since Sony finally got around to dropping the price on the PS3 to $299 — the same territory as the other current-gen consoles — the "OMG EXPENSIVE" objection no longer applies. Have they convinced anybody here to get one?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 02:51 PM

I think the price is fair. However thanks to a year on Netflix, my appetite for Blu-Ray has subsided so substantially that that feature set of the PS3 has lost its almost all its value, thereby making the PS3 hilariously overpriced for what it offers me: A small library of exclusives which I don't have any overwhelming interest in.

moep
Senior User
Aug 18, 2009, 03:45 PM

I’m waiting for more good exclusives to push me over the edge. I’m not that big into gaming anymore and Bluray alone isn’t enough to make me go get a PS3.

Little Big Planet seems neat and once Gran Turismo 5 and God Of War III are out… maybe.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 04:53 PM

I figure I'll wind up getting one eventually, and it's not likely to get another price cut in the near future, so this is as good a time as any. I'm finally seeing decent HDTVs in the price range that I've been looking for, so it's a good time for a Blu-Ray+upsampling DVD player.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2009, 04:57 PM

I just realized a 360 Arcade is cheaper than an Apple TV.

Edit: To clarify, I was thinking of splitting up the PS3 and 360 in different rooms, using the PS3 as a media center in the bedroom, but that'd be a waste of the Blu-Ray and then I came to the above realization.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2009, 05:46 PM

I'm on the fence. Maybe as a Bluray player, but there just aren't many games I'm interested in, and the hardware no longer looks nice.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

moep
Senior User
Aug 18, 2009, 05:50 PM

Here’s a comparison of all current PS3 models

… funny how the oldest (not listed) version has the most features (hardware PS2 emulator, SACD (lol) and Linux).
I also expected the PS3 Slim to use less power — something around 150 or 170W, not 250W.
Guess that will happen when the Cell processors shrink to 45nm.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 06:08 PM

Wait, what? All the news reports said a 34% power reduction, which would place it around 180W. 250W/280W is an 11% drop. I wonder what the deal is.
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2009, 06:12 PM

The only title that remotely interests me is Gran Turismo 5, which will be out way after Forza 3 anyways.

Meh.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wait, what? All the news reports said a 34% power reduction, which would place it around 180W. 250W/280W is an 11% drop. I wonder what the deal is.
Figured it out: According to the comments on that article, the power consumption numbers are actually what the power supply is rated for. It doesn't mean the system is actually expected to use anywhere near that much on average, so the 150W-180W number might be right.
Chuck
___

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 07:34 PM

Also, if you look at the new SKU/spec grid on Joystiq, you'll see that several of the earlier models were rated at 380 W. (380-250)/380 ≈ 34%.

That might actually be what they were talking about.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009, 01:18 AM

PS3 doesn't have any exclusives that interest me. I've already got a Blu-Ray player and am quite happy with my 360 and Wii.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 01:30 AM

It's nice that Sony is getting back in the game. New form factor and lower price. Impressed. Maybe I'll buy, maybe not. I'm only a casual gamer at best.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I’m waiting for more good exclusives to push me over the edge. I’m not that big into gaming anymore and Bluray alone isn’t enough to make me go get a PS3.

Little Big Planet seems neat and once Gran Turismo 5 and God Of War III are out… maybe.
Infamous is a damn good game. Probably my favorite of the year so far. Uncharted is also pretty great, and Uncharted 2 looks like it'll be even better.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 09:33 AM

I wouldn't argue with you on whether those a good, even great games. I'd say two great games isn't enough to spur me to buy the PS3, at least when I already have another console.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I wouldn't argue with you on whether those a good, even great games. I'd say two great games isn't enough to spur me to buy the PS3, at least when I already have another console.
Oh I agree. The PS3 does have all the cross platform games too, but that doesn't matter if you already have the 360.

I actually own 8 PS3 games, and only 2 are cross platform (Prototype, which sucks, and Burnout). The other 6 are exclusives and all very good games IMO. The two I mentioned just stand out as the best. I think the quality of exclusives and the Blu-Ray playback make a compelling case for 360 owners.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 09:59 AM

Whats the word on backwards PS2 compatibility ?

I see myself getting a PS3 if i can play Okami, SotC, ICO, GoW I & II.

As far as PS3 exclusives.... Killzone2, GoW3, Uncharted I & 2, The Last Guardian... and a BR player.....

Seems like a nice Christmas present imo.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Whats the word on backwards PS2 compatibility ?

I see myself getting a PS3 if i can play Okami, SotC, ICO, GoW I & II.

As far as PS3 exclusives.... Killzone2, GoW3, Uncharted I & 2, The Last Guardian... and a BR player.....

Seems like a nice Christmas present imo.
It's not there and never coming back, according to Sony. If you want a BC PS3 I'll sell you my 60 gig for $350.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Oh I agree. The PS3 does have all the cross platform games too, but that doesn't matter if you already have the 360.

I actually own 8 PS3 games, and only 2 are cross platform (Prototype, which sucks, and Burnout). The other 6 are exclusives and all very good games IMO. The two I mentioned just stand out as the best. I think the quality of exclusives and the Blu-Ray playback make a compelling case for 360 owners.
If my hunger for Blu-Ray returns (which I think it will eventually), I'm all over it.

'Course, I wouldn't mind a BR PLayer shoot-out around xmas to help remind me why the PS3 is still the best one.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 10:11 AM

It's not there and never coming back, according to Sony. If you want a BC PS3 I'll sell you my 60 gig for $350.
So is that a confirmed, no PS2 compatibility ? And thanks for the offer but no thanks, im not keen on the fat PS3 at any price point.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Aug 19, 2009 at 10:20 AM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 10:33 AM

So is that a confirmed, no PS2 compatibility ?
Yes.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2009, 10:38 AM

I guess that's a 'no buy' for me for now. I will probably reconsider when The Last Guardian comes out.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2009, 10:40 AM

So is that a confirmed, no PS2 compatibility ? And thanks for the offer but no thanks, im not keen on the fat PS3 at any price point.
If you're keen on the backwards compatibility you'd have to get keen on the fat PS3. BC won't be coming back at any point.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2009, 11:11 AM

I think I mentioned it before, but the list of current and announced PS3 games I plan on picking up:
  • Little Big Planet
  • inFamous
  • The Last Guardian
  • Twisted Metal PS3
There are a few more that sound interesting, like the Uncharted games and Heavy Rain, but those are more maybe-rents (at least until I'm sure, say, using R2 to move doesn't make me want to punch a hole in the TV).
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2009, 12:09 PM

Uncharted is a must, IMO. (It's a greatest hits now)

You will definitely love inFamous. It was even better than I expected. I'm going through it again as evil right now. God of War 3 looks insane. I got a chance to check it out at Comic Con. That one blew me away.

If you are into the casual thing. Ragdoll KungFu is hilarious.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2009, 02:09 PM

InFamous is tons of fun. I really liked Resistance: Fall of Man, but it was pretty much the first FPS I've played, so I don't have much to compare it to. I liked Rachet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction at least as much as Uncharted and I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

I'm rambling, but my point is, there are a lot of great existing and upcoming exclusives. The question is whether they make it worthwhile for folks that already have an XBox 360 to buy a PS3. I'm sure there is a market of people who are so into gaming that they want to own as many platforms as they need to play all the games they want. But I wonder how it compares to the market of people who are happy to stop at one console. I'm sure there are plenty of 360 games I'd enjoy, but I'm not about to buy another big ol' box.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2009, 03:24 PM

The backlog of great titles for me is a bit overwhelming (I've never had a 360 so there are still a ton of cross-platform games I'll be interested in picking up).

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the pointers on games, y'all.

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
The backlog of great titles for me is a bit overwhelming (I've never had a 360 so there are still a ton of cross-platform games I'll be interested in picking up).
Heh, I'm actually still catching up on the last few PS2 games I wanted to play but never got around to. The nice thing about that kind of situation is that then you can usually get them for like $10. (Exception: Ico, which is apparently more valuable now than when it was new.)
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 04:40 PM

If my hunger for Blu-Ray returns (which I think it will eventually), I'm all over it.
Hmmmmmmmmm....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the pointers on games, y'all.

Heh, I'm actually still catching up on the last few PS2 games I wanted to play but never got around to. The nice thing about that kind of situation is that then you can usually get them for like $10. (Exception: Ico, which is apparently more valuable now than when it was new.)
I second Uncharted. The fact that it's now $30 makes it even more of a no-brainer.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 10:25 PM

PSN's got some gems too. PixelJunk Eden and WipeOut HD are great fun.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 11:59 PM

I've been hitting up Shatter and Fat Princess pretty often lately. Both great.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2009, 07:03 AM

I hate the curved top.

Why is that necessary? Does somebody think it looks stylish?

Maybe Sony doesn't want you stacking anything on top of it for heating reasons?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2009, 12:07 PM

Doubt it, as the vents are on the back. I'd assume it's style only.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2009, 08:56 PM

Too late. I already bought a stand-alone Blu-ray player and I already don't have enough time to play all the 360 and Wii games I want to. Well, the 360 games anyway. There is about one Wii game a year I have any interest in.

The PS3 is a better value though. With the Blu-ray, free online and wifi... If I had to start over, I would have gone the PS3 route... but at this point I have so much invested in the 360 that I really don't need both.

There is tons of overlap in the libraries anyway, so you're really just buying the system for a few exclusive titles... and honestly, I'm more interested in the 360 exclusives then the PS3 ones.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2009, 09:15 PM

I think the price is fair. However thanks to a year on Netflix, my appetite for Blu-Ray has subsided so substantially that that feature set of the PS3 has lost its almost all its value, thereby making the PS3 hilariously overpriced for what it offers me: A small library of exclusives which I don't have any overwhelming interest in.
Yeah, it's hard to be impressed with this price cut unless you're a hard core gamer who needs those exclusives, esp. as my last Blu-ray player cost all of $99 CAD.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, it's hard to be impressed with this price cut unless you're a hard core gamer who needs those exclusives, esp. as my last Blu-ray player cost all of $99 CAD.
Really? That's weird. Whenever I'm at Best Buy or Target or whatever, the cheapest Blu-Ray players are $200-ish, and the cheapest Amazon appears to have is only a little cheaper.
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2009, 04:10 PM

Really? That's weird. Whenever I'm at Best Buy or Target or whatever, the cheapest Blu-Ray players are $200-ish, and the cheapest Amazon appears to have is only a little cheaper.
Walmart has a $99 BD player. But you get what you pay for.

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 22, 2009, 06:05 PM

These are some of the formats Sony pushed and failed! Blu-Ray is another LaserDisc to me! People wonder why George Lucas haven't put Star Wars saga on Blu-Ray! PS3!
( Last edited by LEStudios; Aug 22, 2009 at 06:17 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2009, 06:31 PM

Sorry, do you think 8mm and DV failed?

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2009, 10:03 PM

Uh, hate to break it to you, but Blu-ray didn't fail. It may not overtake DVD, but that doesn't mean it failed.

HD DVD lost. The war's over, it won, etc. I hate Sony just as much as the next guy but the PS3 looks pretty tempting with the pricedrop + true HDMI 1.3.

LEStudios
Banned
Aug 22, 2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Uh, hate to break it to you, but Blu-ray didn't fail. It may not overtake DVD, but that doesn't mean it failed.

HD DVD lost. The war's over, it won, etc. I hate Sony just as much as the next guy but the PS3 looks pretty tempting with the pricedrop + true HDMI 1.3.
So did the PS3 as a handheld gaming but it was using conventional medium the UMD now those who bought those games and movies on that format what now. Oh yeah digital delivery content on Memory stick and soon the internal 16GB on the New PSP Go. This is ending up a waste of money for the company who support the format. Equates why George Lucas isn't wasting resources to put Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray. When I see that then I support Blu-Ray! Sony and PS3!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by LEStudios View Post
So did the PS3 as a handheld gaming but it was using conventional medium the UMD now those who bought those games and movies on that format what now. Oh yeah digital delivery content on Memory stick and soon the internal 16GB on the New PSP Go. This is ending up a waste of money for the company who support the format. Equates why George Lucas isn't wasting resources to put Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray. When I see that then I support Blu-Ray! Sony and PS3!
...............huh?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2009, 01:48 AM

Morty: "How could you spend $200 on a tip calculator?"
Jerry: "It does other things!"

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by LEStudios View Post
Do you remember how long it took Lucas to release the original trilogy on DVD? I wouldn't consider that an indication of how well a format is doing...

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2009, 09:09 AM

I'm going to get the new PS3 since it's cheaper now, and I have an HDTV and am in need of a blu-ray player.
it seems I can also stream HD movies from my Mac to the PS3 too, which is really cool.

Seems like a no-brainer to get the PS3 when standalone Blu-Ray players are going for $250-300 anyways (Cheapest I've ever seen them was $199 on Sale, for a decent brand anyways).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2009, 10:55 AM

It's worth being noted that the PS3's Blu-ray loading times are among the best.

Note that the difference between the PS3 and Samsung BD-P3600 is only one second.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2009, 02:37 PM

Sorry, do you think 8mm and DV failed?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. He should have used a betamax tape instead.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2009, 02:57 PM

That 3600 Samsung one looks great, but for over $350? Forget that!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's worth being noted that the PS3's Blu-ray loading times are among the best.
Which is why I said I see myself picking up a PS3. Course the assholes didn't include a infrared port on the redesign because why make the damn thing compatible with the rest of your stereo system?

Even if I buy one though, the value is fair in comparison to a stand-alone player, meaning I could go ahead and not buy any games for it and really not be losing that much value.

(Also the difference between the PS3 and its next closest competitor is nearly 30 seconds load time, or 67% increase in wait time. Ridiculous)

Forum Links
Forum Rules