Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do I stop my iPhone from playing purchased music?

How do I stop my iPhone from playing purchased music?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 25, 2019, 10:25 AM

I made the gigantic mistake of signing up for Apple Music and letting it infest my phone.

I had a smart playlist of songs that I used to listen to. When I added Apple Music, that playlist magically became empty on my phone even though it's loaded on the computer and I've synced.

So now I just listen to my full phone library, which consists of songs from that playlist that are somehow still on my phone, plus every song I've ever purchased from the iTunes store since 2003, most of which are terrible garbage. Or random samples/loops that I bought for movie projects. Most of my time in my car is spent hitting the skip button to get to an actual song.

I've gone through iTunes on my computer and unchecked all of the purchased music that I don't want to play on my phone, but that doesn't work. I'd be fine with preventing my phone from playing ANY purchased music.

I've tried Amazon music stations, but for some stupid reason it always defaults to playing the last album I listened to, which for some reason is the Hamilton soundtrack, even though I haven't ever purposely listened to it and I've specifically deleted it from my music history.

Really all I want to do is get in my car and have something pleasant play without having to fiddle around and pick a playlist or something.

/end rant, begin helpful answers

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2019, 11:06 AM

This is obvious, but have you tried to rebuild the smart playlist from scratch with some highly restricted conditions?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 25, 2019, 11:34 AM

I haven't. It's basically just the contents of another playlist with all of the 1-star songs filtered out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2019, 12:22 PM

Gotcha.

Rereading your problem, that might not help anyway.

I can’t help past that (if you call that helping) since I don’t have Apple Music.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2019, 12:42 PM

Smart move. Google isn't much help as lots of people have almost similar problems, but no one seems to have my exact problem.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2019, 12:51 PM

I had heard it can also screw with iTunes Match, which is what’s kept me away so far.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I had heard it can also screw with iTunes Match, which is what’s kept me away so far.
Taking the apropos from the spammer (who's sure to be banned presently):

iTunes Match. Talk to me.

I've really wanted to go for it for years now, but I've been scared, because I have a large number of albums in multiple versions (Japan release, original master, 2014 remaster, MFSL, etc.), and I really don't want iTunes Match to start munging those.

How does it deal?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2019, 09:47 AM

I removed iTunes match from my phone.

It literally doesn't let you sync your own playlists, it tries to put the contents of your playlist in the cloud, then play it from there. Once I disconnected from iTunes it finally let me sync my own playlists again.

If your whole music library is stuff you've downloaded from iTunes, you're probably fine. If you've got anything else, I wouldn't touch it.

To answer my own question, I contacted Apple Support and received a reply yesterday.

For others with the same questions and concern as mine, it appears nothing has really changed as of January 2018. "...I have been able to confirm that with iTunes Match enabled and/or Apple Music we do not have a guarantee it will not make any changes to your existing tracks." The reply goes on to suggest backing up my iTunes library before enabling either one if I choose to give it another try.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Taking the apropos from the spammer (who's sure to be banned presently):

iTunes Match. Talk to me.

I've really wanted to go for it for years now, but I've been scared, because I have a large number of albums in multiple versions (Japan release, original master, 2014 remaster, MFSL, etc.), and I really don't want iTunes Match to start munging those.

How does it deal?
IIUC, that shouldn’t matter unless you delete an original.

In other words, it might not get a proper match, but it’ll be the cloud version that’s mismatched. Your original stays where it is.

Here’s the thing though... installed it for a friend, and it ****ed up his library file. Songs went missing. He had to shut it off and revert the library file from Time Machine.

Not recommend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules