Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Black Macbook keyboard sometimes skips keystrokes...help?

Black Macbook keyboard sometimes skips keystrokes...help?
mtbiac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 04:01 PM

I just got a new black macbook (core duo model). I have updated to all of the latest software and firmware as of 5min ago, yet still sometimes when I type the keyboard will miss a keystroke or something like that. There is also a very very tiny lag when typing which doesnt happen on my windows PCs. I have 1.25gb of ram..is this normal??
thanks

Chaoticjoe
Feb 12, 2007, 08:24 PM

How exactly does it skip the keystroke? Does it not show the key you pressed? if your keyboard is the problem, maybe you can attach another. Kinda weird looking but otherwise I have no clue.
Hey...

variozin
Feb 12, 2007, 08:59 PM

sorry I am not answering your question, instead I have a small one for you..
How did you get 1.25 GB of RAM on your MB. As far as I know black MBs ship with total I GB as 512x2 on two slots.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 09:13 PM

You can mismatch RAM on the MacBook. He bought the Core Duo Model which comes with 512 (2x256), not 1 GB. He probably bought 1 stick of 1 GB and decided to keep the 256 in the second slot.
Linkinus is king.

mtbiac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
You can mismatch RAM on the MacBook. He bought the Core Duo Model which comes with 512 (2x256), not 1 GB. He probably bought 1 stick of 1 GB and decided to keep the 256 in the second slot.
you are correct

As far as the problem, I'll just be typing (I type fairly fast) and every maybe 20sec of fast typing it will skip a key input, which as you can imagine is very annoying as I have to go back and add the missing letter as necessary.

I was just wondering if this was a common macbook problem since I know many people don't like/complain about the keyboard??

ALSO - the trackpad sometimes freezes for 2-5sec at a time. This happens maybe a few times per hour, and ONLY happens with trackpad, not with an external mouse that I usually use.

oh and an external keyboard really isnt an option, i bought a laptop for a reason

thanks for the help/advice! I really wish these things had the MBP keyboards, they're orgasmic!

ps they keyboard skipped 2-3 letters typing this reply...

ibook_steve
Feb 12, 2007, 11:09 PM

Do you have any USB devices attached? If so, does the problem persist if they are removed? You can also try setting up a test user account and see if the problem persists in that separate account. If it doesn't occur, there's a software setting issue in your account. If it does occur, it could be the OS or hardware.

Steve

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 02:15 AM

to answer your question.. no, it is not comon. that is something acting up in your computer... whether it is software or hardware it is hard to tell.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 03:24 AM

try using typing mittens.

Just kidding.

But seriously, if you have apple care I would call this in. Also. I might try reloading the OS, if you don't feel like spending a hour on the phone to get to someone who knows something.

Please try attaching a keyboard, even a Pc one and see if the problem persists, it does, then you likely have an OS issue, if it works fine, then your hardware will need some work.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules