Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > QT Broadcaster taking up 60 percent of G3 processor

QT Broadcaster taking up 60 percent of G3 processor
plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 05:29 PM

i am running os x.2 server on a B/W G3. i am attempting to set it up as a streaming server that will unicast to a much faster G4 server (OS X.2).

however, when i noticed the poor video quality, i ran a processor check and noticed that quicktime broadcaster is gobbling up 58 percent of the processor.

is this normal on a G3? i'll ask the obvious, but would i get better performance on a G4.

G3 system stats are:
300 MHZ Blue and White G3
512MB RAM

thanks for your help and any advice you may have on this.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by plyxrbo:
i am running os x.2 server on a B/W G3. i am attempting to set it up as a streaming server that will unicast to a much faster G4 server (OS X.2).

however, when i noticed the poor video quality, i ran a processor check and noticed that quicktime broadcaster is gobbling up 58 percent of the processor.

is this normal on a G3? i'll ask the obvious, but would i get better performance on a G4.

G3 system stats are:
300 MHZ Blue and White G3
512MB RAM

thanks for your help and any advice you may have on this.
Depending on how many people you want to serve video to, I think your viewers will have a better experience if you used the G4 as the encoder and then have the G3 broadcast it.

The G4 and it's Altivec unit are more suited to CPU intensive tasks like video encoding. Just out of curiosity, how many simultaneous streams are you thinking of serving?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by hadocon:
Depending on how many people you want to serve video to, I think your viewers will have a better experience if you used the G4 as the encoder and then have the G3 broadcast it.

The G4 and it's Altivec unit are more suited to CPU intensive tasks like video encoding.
I would think this as well. Switch em up.
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules