Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New form of processor cooling

New form of processor cooling
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 04:49 PM

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994816

The gist is thus : make a grid of fine electrodes, physically slightly separated from eachother. Set a voltage between the first two rows, which ionizes some air above the edge and sends in towards the second row. As it's about to touch the second row, the voltage is turned off and another voltage is set up between the second and third. Repeat across the entire grid, and start another sequence regularly (such as whenver the air you first moved is about to touch the third, start at the first and the second again). The idea is that since the moving cover of air is always in contact with the metal and is not held still against the metal a l� supermarket freezers.

A cool little idea, I thought, except that I'd be uneasy putting electric charges on my processor face that weren't a part of its calculations (thermal pastes have to be nonconductive, or they interfere with processor operation, or so I'm told), and I'd think that this method produces a lot of heat.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 08:49 PM

Reminds me of how a peltier works...
Aloha

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2004, 11:53 AM

www.cooligy.com another form of cooling that has no moving parts. Been reading up on it for a couple of weeks now and so I have been very impressed. Make it small enough it cold really be good for laptops but still very useful for any computer, no fan noise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules