Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is it safe to delete all .DS_Store files?

Is it safe to delete all .DS_Store files?
Simon Young
May 5, 2004, 09:50 PM

Quick - and probably stupid - question here. I'd like to be able to easily reset all of the Finder's window positions. Is the best way to do this:

- do a search for invisible files called .DS_Store
- select all
- delete

Sorry for my ignorance, but the answer to this one's been evading me.

Cheers,

Si

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 10:29 PM

Just try it out and report the results.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 10:48 PM

Use OnyX - there's such option in "Finder" tab.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 11:57 PM

I've done it with Cocktail with no adverse results, YMMV

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 02:41 AM

You'll lose a bunch of folder window settings and icon positions. Other than that, it shouldn't do much harm.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon Young  (op)
May 6, 2004, 01:26 PM

So which of the two - OnyX and Cocktail - would people here recommend? I downloaded both, but don't want to install either until I'm sure it's worth it (just did a fresh install of everything, and don't want to balls something up already!).

I am prepared to pay the $10 for Cocktail though, if it's really worth it.

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 03:17 PM

You can do this simple task for free from the Terminal.

First, create a new text only file, then paste in the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh PATH=/bin:/usr/bin find "$@" -type f -name .DS_Store -print0 | xargs -0 rm
Save the text file as rmdstore, then change the perms (using Terminal) so you can execute it:

chmod 755 ~/rmdstore

Now, you can run the command from terminal with any folder as an argument. I.E to remove all DS_Store files in your home folder:

~/rmdstore ~

Or from the whole system:

sudo ~/rmdstore /

HTH.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 03:12 AM

^ ^ Be careful with the command entered above. One typo can cause a lot more files to get deleted than the ones you intended...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by someone_else:
You can do this simple task for free from the Terminal...
...or you could use the find command search for invisible files containing "DS". select all of them and move them to the trash. much easier and faster than writing a script. (it's also what the original poster recommended.)

-r.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 04:30 PM

Don't pay for Cocktail. That sort of program exists only to capitalize on people who haven't yet learned to use their computers. <And for neat freaks like me who want everything to be tidy even if problems are not immediately apparent >

Onyx will do what you want here. You DON'T need to delete all .DS_Store files. Just set all windows to follow the same sorting rules (I do it by kind) and everything will be easily found. If you are scrambling for space, you have a bigger problem at hand.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules