Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why America Is The Greatest Country In The World

Why America Is The Greatest Country In The World (Page 2)
yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Big deal, but, but, we went to the moony-moon....
Wasn't that fake?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2005, 03:04 PM

Uhm so? <treason> High Treason, and when was the last time that was actually done?
I was just correcting you, that's all.

Russia was the first into space?
Yes.

Oh yeah, Urie Gregaron... orbited the earth. Big deal, but, but, we went to the moony-moon....
Yes, we did.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 03:08 PM

Urie Gregaron...
no-one making any claims for "USA - first in spelling" then?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 26, 2005, 03:08 PM

I was old enough to watch the moon "landing' on television. I know all about it, and Russia.

Relax.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 03:34 PM

This thread reminds me of the pride my grandparents felt 65 years ago...

Yeah America!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 03:52 PM

The other wonderful irony of this thread is that the only reason this shuttle lift-off is such a big deal is because the last one BLEW UP...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
Wasn't that fake?
No, I have photos.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MacIntel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
The other wonderful irony of this thread is that the only reason this shuttle lift-off is such a big deal is because the last one BLEW UP...
You're obviously a very bitter person.

It's called an accident, grumpy. These things happen. Especially when involved in risky ventures and new exploration. That's been a fact of life through history.

Where are you from? Where's your nation's Space Shuttle and how many missions has it flown without incident?

By the way, everyone should feel they live in the best country in the world, and not feel so threatened because other people feel that way about theirs. If you don't live in the greatest nation, why are you settling for someplace else?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 04:12 PM

I'd like to remind people that make fun of NASA that indeed it involves a heaping amount of Rocket Science.

You try making that thing shoot into space.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
I'd like to remind people that make fun of NASA that indeed it involves a heaping amount of Rocket Science.

You try making that thing shoot into space.
Indeed

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2005, 04:19 PM

which I'm sure you enjoyed.

Otherwise, why bring it up?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MacIntel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah
1986 - First probe to reach Uranus (USA).

Who named that planet anyway? Sooo unfortunate...

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
...and first in moviemaking (arguably they still are from a quality perspective).
Arguably being the mega-operative word, here.

Sorry, Troll, French movies suhuhhuuhhuhhuuuck. Not saying that most 'Merican movies are any better (although I'll take spit and polish over gritty/snore-inducing/symbolism any day).

Show me something from France that can dethrone Evil Dead 2 as the greatest movie every made and I'll eat a snail. Hell, beat Rushmore and I'll let French women start sleeping with me again.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 05:10 PM

SIGH

Some impressions...

Yes, the USA MAY be the greatest place to live on Earth, the best country and etc...

But how do YOU feel when you are stuck with your rotten (CHOOSE ONE): Job, spouse, kid, car, house, computer... and your obnoxious neighbor keeps telling you HOW GREAT THEIR (whatever) IS?

It pisses you off.

Then, when your obnoxious neighbor who, admittedly, is blessed with so much suffers a small-medium sized misfortune and cries, "woe is me, woe is me!" You may be charitably sympathetic but when the know-it-all neighbor starts feeling insecure and needs to pep himself up and starts crowing to the neighborhood how GREAT HE is, well, you get pretty cynical, pretty hostile, pretty quickly.

You know the neighbor uses any and every means possible (legal, or not...ethical, or not) to get ahead and stay ahead and the average other neighbor doesn't stand a real chance against the Azzole neighbor, how do you feel about that neighbor using it's brute force in an attempt to make the neighborhood a safer place, even if you too benefit?

You can well appreciate the good the neighbor might do and you want to benefit from your association with the neighbor as much as possible, but the neighbor is a mixed bag. Not lovable, not really worthy of hate. You can't always trust what that neighbor will do or what will motivate them. You'd ignore them if you could but they ARE so big and powerful and exciting and sometimes very good. And you can't easily change them so you have to just take them or leave them as they are.

And their KIDS???!!!

Myohmyohmy!

A DECIDEDLY mixed bag!

THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

It is true. And I AM proud to be an American.

But as a member of the family (I am talking to my siblings and kinfolk here) I gotta tell ya we could be a bit more tactful and sensitive in how the things we do and say might affect our poorer neighbors who aren't as well off as we are.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Yes, the USA MAY be the greatest place to live on Earth, the best country and etc...

Ha!...Says who? You? Ok...well I could find a million Spaniards who'd say Spain is the best, and a bunch of Costa Ricans who'd testify that Costa Rica is in fact the best. And alotta French who prob think French is the best.

I'd have to say the country with the highest percentage of people who think its the best place in the world...is surely not. Its that sort of nationalist arrogance that makes this country less than ideal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 05:17 PM

Middle-middle class ain't crap where I live. Even my poorest friends are richer than me.

But they all think my house rules, due its open floor plan. heheh, little to they know my dad designed AND built it. For a hell of a lot less than their houses too.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
Ha!...Says who? You? Ok...well I could find a million Spaniards who'd say Spain is the best, and a bunch of Costa Ricans who'd testify that Costa Rica is in fact the best. And alotta French who prob think French is the best.

I'd have to say the country with the highest percentage of people who think its the best place in the world...is surely not. Its that sort of nationalist arrogance that makes this country less than ideal.
Senor, Monsieur, Dude...

I hope EVERY man would feel HIS OWN wife were the most beautiful in the world. It is only bothersome to you that I say so because you choose not to read or you chose to ignore the remainder of my post.

Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
Arguably being the mega-operative word, here.

Sorry, Troll, French movies suhuhhuuhhuhhuuuck. Not saying that most 'Merican movies are any better (although I'll take spit and polish over gritty/snore-inducing/symbolism any day).

Show me something from France that can dethrone Evil Dead 2 as the greatest movie every made and I'll eat a snail. Hell, beat Rushmore and I'll let French women start sleeping with me again.

Easy, 'Seul contre tous' (or 'I Stand Alone')

hip(2)b⟡  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 05:24 PM

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 05:24 PM

I think that by "first" the original poster meant we are currently the most advanced... I could be wrong though, as I am pretty clueless when it comes to the history of space travel. (I though it was the Russians?)

About the whole human rights thing... I'd hate to start another death penalty debate, but I think that its completely pointless, our death penalty system. I mean, you can just keep on appealing it and it takes sooo long for these people to get executed. Bleh. I think that the rights of the public to safety overrides the right of murderers to... anything.

Oh well, just my $0.02

America is a wonderful country.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by hip(2)b⟡
The United States of America is the greatest country in the world, period.
no its not

First in human rights,
i highly doubt that. give me proof

first in space exploration,
maybe, but i dont htink we were the first to get something into orbit

first in computer science,
nope

first in medical research...
its called the renaissance dumbass. and even stuff before.

the list goes on and on.
first in human rights violations, first in exploitation of race, first in trying to impose our views on the whole world even though they don't give a ****...the list goes on and on

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
God doesn't exist, and if he/she did he/she probably wouldn't
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 05:38 PM

I agree with first in medical research.

Women & Infants in Boston is considered to be the best Hospital in the US and the world. So i'd say first in medical research, and medical bills too.

OreoCookie
Jul 26, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
I agree with first in medical research.

Women & Infants in Boston is considered to be the best Hospital in the US and the world. So i'd say first in medical research, and medical bills too.
Not necessarily, the hospital my mom works in has plenty of American (and other international) patients (in another field, though).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 06:15 PM

yeah I think that medical research is pretty accurate... although not billing. (not sure if thats what you meant by bills). Insurance companies and politicians make it such a difficult process.

Anyway, America definately, hands down, no argument, makes the best movies. I can't even think of an argument to the contrary.

However, computers/tech I think would go to the Japanese?

Other things that other countries actually have managed to beat us in...
Food--Italy. Definately
Cars--Germany!
Music--Sweden... and other parts of Europe in general. (ok, well maybe not all types of music. Just the music I listen to)

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Not necessarily, the hospital my mom works in has plenty of American (and other international) patients (in another field, though).
I travel to Japan for medical treatment as much as possible. Nothing beats a sponge bath from a Japanese nurse. NOTHING.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 06:17 PM

America is #1 for me in terms of the amber waves of grain thing... It's amazing that I can drive an hour and be either on top of a mountain or at the beach.

The shear beauty of the Nevada high desert is also inspiring, but for me it has to be the forests of Vermont (Lyebrook, specifically) - better than the Shire. Washington State is pretty awesome too, except for the rain.

There is so much land and in such a variety of climates/terrains that it brings me to tears. America the beautiful!

Unfortunately, the politicians can sometimes suck so bad that they obscure the view.

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
yeah I think that medical research is pretty accurate... although not billing. (not sure if thats what you meant by bills). Insurance companies and politicians make it such a difficult process.

Anyway, America definately, hands down, no argument, makes the best movies. I can't even think of an argument to the contrary.

However, computers/tech I think would go to the Japanese?

Other things that other countries actually have managed to beat us in...
Food--Italy. Definately
Cars--Germany!
Music--Sweden... and other parts of Europe in general. (ok, well maybe not all types of music. Just the music I listen to)
Movies - Japan
Food - Japan
Cars - Japan
Music - just Europe in general
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

OreoCookie
Jul 26, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by pooka
I travel to Japan for medical treatment as much as possible. Nothing beats a sponge bath from a Japanese nurse. NOTHING.
You gotta be kidding. My memories of Japanese doctors still make me nervous (This is semi-serious, I got a few friends who are doctors …)
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jul 26, 2005 at 06:47 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by hip(2)b⟡
The United States of America is the greatest country in the world, period.GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Good for you.

Please stay there.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Darthmaul4114
Movies - Japan
Food - Japan
Cars - Japan
Music - just Europe in general
LOL are you Japanese? Just asking cause I'm 1/2 Japanese, 1/4 Chinese, and 1/4 German, and I've never really been too fond of Asain cuisine. Yet, all my white buddies LOVE the stuff! its the weirdest thing. (Although I would say that Japanese food can be pretty good. Never really liked Chinese at all, though.)

Japanese cars are cool I guess... but I dunno, theres just something about German-made cars I like...

Zenbone
Jul 26, 2005, 06:58 PM

America is indeed the greatest country in the world, if you're an illegal Mexican immigrant.

aka BlueSky

Kristjan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 07:17 PM

Anyone who claims USA is first in human rights must be joking, either that or they don't understand what human rights is.

I'm from Sweden, and the only thing we're best at is sexual equality. I think.

Movies - Denmark. In the last ten years, two movies has made me cry. Both were danish (Elsker dig for evigt and Festen).
Music - Canada, if it's per capita otherwise USA.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
Heh.

By that logic, everyone should flock to the country where the highest percentage of people think it's an utter $hithole, and declare it the best!

Actually I'm often amazed by the displays of petty nationalistic insecurity that many people exhibit when confronted by the very idea that Americans love their country. It makes one wonder just what the real source of their insecurity is.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kristjan
Oh I dunno dude - you look like you're pretty good at keeping quiet on Intarweb notice boards too.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kristjan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Oh I dunno dude - you look like you're pretty good at keeping quiet on Intarweb notice boards too.
We have our own... I could tell you were they're at, but you wouldn't understand what we're talking about.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kristjan
Anyone who claims USA is first in human rights must be joking, either that or they don't understand what human rights is.

Movies - Denmark. In the last ten years, two movies has made me cry. Both were danish (Elsker dig for evigt and Festen).
Music - Canada, if it's per capita otherwise USA.
I find it a VERY interesting indication of contrast between America and let's say, Sweden (if you are representative of the culture and attitudes of the Swedish or generally the Scandinavians) that you would measure a film's greatness by citing those that had made you cry.

I doubt the average American would use that standard for measuring film greatness.

And lest an American say it's better to laugh at a film than to cry, remember they are both just expressions of human emotions and neither is necessarilly good or bad. They just ARE.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Heh.

By that logic, everyone should flock to the country where the highest percentage of people think it's an utter $hithole, and declare it the best!

Actually I'm often amazed by the displays of petty nationalistic insecurity that many people exhibit when confronted by the very idea that Americans love their country. It makes one wonder just what the real source of their insecurity is.
If I might play devil's advocate for a moment, may I suggest it might be WE who are insecurely trumpeting our greatness when triumph or tragedy occurs.

If you want to try an interesting experiment go for a certain period of time on these boards and mentally lose your AMERICAN IDENTIFICATION. BECOME A CITIZEN OF AN UNNAMED COUNTRY.

Then observe the Americans and then those of other national groups.

It will change you. For the better.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 08:40 PM

hmm yes interesting... I would say that a movie can be judged ultimately by its ability to effectly tell a story, and how well that story elicits emotions from the viewer.

Thats just one aspect though. The music has a HUGE impact (good example is Star Wars. Imagine that movie w/o the music!) as does the artisitic compostion of the shots, and of course the acting and screenplay. But those are both tools which come together to tell the story, and how effectively the director uses those tools to tell the story is usually the best way to judge a move... but of course that is where opinions will vary the most

Anyway, Kristjan, I don't know what you mean!! You've got Ikea, Volvo (laugh at me I know. But hey ARE good cars.) and of course Children of Bodom!

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 09:28 PM

hmm yes interesting... I would say that a movie can be judged ultimately by its ability to effectly tell a story, and how well that story elicits emotions from the viewer.

Thats just one aspect though. The music has a HUGE impact (good example is Star Wars. Imagine that movie w/o the music!) as does the artisitic compostion of the shots, and of course the acting and screenplay. But those are both tools which come together to tell the story, and how effectively the director uses those tools to tell the story is usually the best way to judge a move... but of course that is where opinions will vary the most

Anyway, Kristjan, I don't know what you mean!! You've got Ikea, Volvo (laugh at me I know. But hey ARE good cars.) and of course Children of Bodom!
Music for movies are emotional props for actors unable to convey more life than their own image.

As beautiful movie music can be (I have lots of those), a movie is not built around the music, but the story, and unless you have a musical, music stands as an emotional cue for the audience.

Good horror movies have no music; the emotions is splattered everywhere on the screen.

Good love stories on the screen are heartfelt from the play and the talent of the actors.

Star Wars without music is still not much since it is insipid; great images, very nice effects, and awful acting.

Well I'll give in on the heroine talent; she is good, but could have been better.

American cinema, the mainstream sort, is popular because it does not require much thinking, is effect based on the screen, and works on the conditioning of the audience to react on cues.

Independant American cinema, however, is a different story.

However, I do go see maintream American cinema; I find it relaxing as it gives my brain a break, and I enjoy the imagination involved nevertheless. Even from Star Wars.

hip(2)b⟡  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 09:48 PM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of the best movies I have ever seen, period.

It is an amazing movie. Tim Burton proves, without a doubt, what a genius he is. He vision for this movie is beautiful and poignant.

And Johnny Depp? I will say one word: OSCAR

His acting in this movie is brilliant, his interpretation of Willy Wonka is brilliant, and his body of work as an actor is brilliant. He is an exemplary artist.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 10:02 PM

If I might play devil's advocate for a moment, may I suggest it might be WE who are insecurely trumpeting our greatness when triumph or tragedy occurs.
I’m not bothered in the slightest when other people express pride in their country, why should anyone be bothered that people love this one?

Its one thing to poke fun and take someone (or by proxy, their country) down a few pegs in a humorous way- but often what I see is just plain bile and venom, not humor.

When I see that reaction, I call it what it is; insecurity. As I said, I just wonder what the true source of it is.
If you want to try an interesting experiment go for a certain period of time on these boards and mentally lose your AMERICAN IDENTIFICATION. BECOME A CITIZEN OF AN UNNAMED COUNTRY.

Then observe the Americans and then those of other national groups.

It will change you. For the better.
First of all: judging nations based on a gauge as narrow as a message board= the height of absurdity. Anyone who floats that and thinks they’ve changed anything more significant than their own underwear, needs their head examined, an application for a life, and probably could use the change of underwear to boot.

Secondly, you don’t need any pretense to know there are good people and there are assclowns from all nations. It goes without saying and has little to do with imaginary lines on a map.

But does anyone really want to judge nationalistic silliness by the example of this thread?

I’ve yet to see an American make an assclown of themselves by expressing that a great tragedy was in any way ‘wonderful’ simply because they’ve moronically reduced it to a mere nationalistic squabble via some quirk of their own insanely myopic and insecure nationalistic mentality.

I haven’t seen an American express anger, and jump straight to insult, over the fact that someone else is proud of their own country.

So is that the sort of thing that’s supposed to make anyone believe that there's any nation that doesn't have its share of assclowns the same as anywhere else? If so, pretty bad example.

Exactly in what way has pretending on this board that you’re someone other than who you really are/where you’re really from, changed you in any way? And how so for the better?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 10:22 PM

-Better political system
-Better economic system
-Better defence system
-Better human rights record (at least domestically)

From my travels..... America is open to new ideas, as opposed to old farts trying to protect their empires and wealth. Of course that dosent apply to the primary industries, but thats better than anywhere else. Also....the burocratic process and red tape to get something like a drivers licence is far less in the U.S. which is a good thing.

Its because of those reason, the U.S. leads the world in research in almost any field..... computers, aircrafts, media, space exploriation, defence, architecture, music, fashion(im talking about what actual ppl wear on a day to day basis), food (if McDonalds and coca-cola count as food )

Cheers

P.S.>> America is not perfect.....lousy president(imo), deplorable foreign policy, disregard for international law and the U.N., etc.... but the system is set up to allow for CHANGE in the short term. And its that openess to change that makes America great imo.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 10:37 PM

But how do YOU feel when you are stuck with your rotten (CHOOSE ONE): Job, spouse, kid, car, house, computer... and your obnoxious neighbor keeps telling you HOW GREAT THEIR (whatever) IS?

It pisses you off.
Actually, it sounds like it pisses you off.

I prefer to live my own life. Everything I have is a result of my work and my decisions. There's no one to blame or congratulate other than myself.

And if my neighbor acted like the neighbor you portray, I'd stop talking to him altogether.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
Music for movies are emotional props for actors unable to convey more life than their own image.

As beautiful movie music can be (I have lots of those), a movie is not built around the music, but the story, and unless you have a musical, music stands as an emotional cue for the audience.

Good horror movies have no music; the emotions is splattered everywhere on the screen.

Good love stories on the screen are heartfelt from the play and the talent of the actors.

Star Wars without music is still not much since it is insipid; great images, very nice effects, and awful acting.

Well I'll give in on the heroine talent; she is good, but could have been better.

American cinema, the mainstream sort, is popular because it does not require much thinking, is effect based on the screen, and works on the conditioning of the audience to react on cues.

Independant American cinema, however, is a different story.

However, I do go see maintream American cinema; I find it relaxing as it gives my brain a break, and I enjoy the imagination involved nevertheless. Even from Star Wars.
Thats why I said that music was a tool used to help move along the storyline--like you said it is big time in the eliciting emotions department. But it is STILL part of the art. Don't try to discount it.

You make it sound like movies brainwash you into liking that movie... yeah I guess there are movies out there that brainwash you. Or try to at least (any of Micheal Moore's "documentaries"). As for them being overly simple... I dunno. How complex do you like it? If you want a complex storyline, play a Japanese RPG. I don't think that movie storylines should be too complex, unless its a series of movies, SW or LOTR type stuff. Also, movies based on books tend to have slighly more complex storylines.

I don't know a whole lot about the indie film industry, although I may be entering it very soon... What I don't like about what I've seen so far about the indie film scene here in America is that there are a lot of people who really are not creative at all, and just want to mooch off of other peoples wallets and creativity, while they take the credit. I once did a production designer role for a guy like that. Real jerks are out there it seems, and a lot of them. Oh well, dont take my word for it, as I really don't know a whole lot, honestly. thats just my experience/observation so far.

oh well whatever

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
I’m not bothered in the slightest when other people express pride in their country, why should anyone be bothered that people love this one?

Its one thing to poke fun and take someone (or by proxy, their country) down a few pegs in a humorous way- but often what I see is just plain bile and venom, not humor.

When I see that reaction, I call it what it is; insecurity. As I said, I just wonder what the true source of it is.

First of all: judging nations based on a gauge as narrow as a message board= the height of absurdity. Anyone who floats that and thinks they’ve changed anything more significant than their own underwear, needs their head examined, an application for a life, and probably could use the change of underwear to boot.

Secondly, you don’t need any pretense to know there are good people and there are assclowns from all nations. It goes without saying and has little to do with imaginary lines on a map.

But does anyone really want to judge nationalistic silliness by the example of this thread?

I’ve yet to see an American make an assclown of themselves by expressing that a great tragedy was in any way ‘wonderful’ simply because they’ve moronically reduced it to a mere nationalistic squabble via some quirk of their own insanely myopic and insecure nationalistic mentality.

I haven’t seen an American express anger, and jump straight to insult, over the fact that someone else is proud of their own country.

So is that the sort of thing that’s supposed to make anyone believe that there's any nation that doesn't have its share of assclowns the same as anywhere else? If so, pretty bad example.

Exactly in what way has pretending on this board that you’re someone other than who you really are/where you’re really from, changed you in any way? And how so for the better?
Sorry, I only read the last paragraph of your reply...

Pardon my answering your question with a question of my own: "Why would you ever look in a mirror?"

Why would anyone have use for the word, 'sympathy?' Or, 'empathy?'

Why would someone keep their own dog fenced?

Why is there a Better Business Bureau?

Why, in the Declaration of Independence do the forefathers include the following phrase?

"...a decent respect for the opinion of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."
A decent respect for the opinion of mankind.

Why should they have bothered?

Why would they have cared?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Actually, it sounds like it pisses you off.

I prefer to live my own life. Everything I have is a result of my work and my decisions. There's no one to blame or congratulate other than myself.

And if my neighbor acted like the neighbor you portray, I'd stop talking to him altogether.
You and I would respond similarly, I think. Even if in avoiding the unconcerned offensive one I would deny myself the benefit of that association.

Like shifting tectonic plates building up pressures and never moving, never grinding on each other, going in different directions and stuck. Years of pressure release in an explosion to the pleasure of all.

Todays headlines give pleasure to all.

Yes?

No?

Then I shall withdraw because I do not like what I perceive. It is offensive to me.

I have no concerns from terror.

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2005, 02:09 AM

LOL are you Japanese? Just asking cause I'm 1/2 Japanese, 1/4 Chinese, and 1/4 German, and I've never really been too fond of Asain cuisine. Yet, all my white buddies LOVE the stuff! its the weirdest thing. (Although I would say that Japanese food can be pretty good. Never really liked Chinese at all, though.)

Japanese cars are cool I guess... but I dunno, theres just something about German-made cars I like...
actually im chinese haha. german cars are nice, and all, but japan is basically the same now, plus reliability is way above anything built in germany. in top gear jeremy said out of all the vtec systems Honda has built (i think like 13 million) not one of them has ever gone wrong. and I know people with lexi (plural for lexus?) that are nearly 15 years old and have yet to have a mechanical problem. its very rare you get a japanese car that wont function perfectly until the end of time (cept maybe nissans, they seem to have not caught on)
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

xenu
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 02:43 AM

You wouldn't be the type of person who stands up and salutes the flag after each episode of JAG, would you?
If I thought my stomach could handle it, I would read this thread, but wtf.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure NASA scientists and engineers come from all over the world. Let's also not forget a certain German who helped you on your way.

Having said that, the shuttle is a fine piece of machiney.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by MacIntel
You're obviously a very bitter person.

It's called an accident, grumpy. These things happen. Especially when involved in risky ventures and new exploration. That's been a fact of life through history.

Where are you from? Where's your nation's Space Shuttle and how many missions has it flown without incident?

By the way, everyone should feel they live in the best country in the world, and not feel so threatened because other people feel that way about theirs. If you don't live in the greatest nation, why are you settling for someplace else?
a) Pride is a sin.

b) If you're gonna be proud, be proud of something YOU did. It certainly wasn't your decision, responsibility, or achievement to be pushed out on a piece of dirt that happened to belong to US territory. Congratulations, you were lucky, by some standards. Unlucky, by others.

c) I feel threatened by blind, idiotic displays of nationalism, yes.

d) No, I didn't gloat over the Columbia's destruction. It didn't devastate me as much as the Challenger did (I vividly remember that day). But any moron going rah-rah gung-ho, technological leader, we are #1 Greatest Nation In Duh Werld™ at this shuttle launch would do well to remember the royal ****-up that made this one so special.

A little humility never done no-one bad.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 03:29 AM

a) Pride is a sin.

b) If you're gonna be proud, be proud of something YOU did. It certainly wasn't your decision, responsibility, or achievement to be pushed out on a piece of dirt that happened to belong to US territory. Congratulations, you were lucky, by some standards. Unlucky, by others.

c) I feel threatened by blind, idiotic displays of nationalism, yes.

d) No, I didn't gloat over the Columbia's destruction. It didn't devastate me as much as the Challenger did (I vividly remember that day). But any moron going rah-rah gung-ho, technological leader, we are #1 Greatest Nation In Duh Werld™ at this shuttle launch would do well to remember the royal ****-up that made this one so special.

A little humility never done no-one bad.
I take no issue with anything you say here.

Except to say Richard Pryor stopped being funny when he gained humility. OUR loss, but perhaps HIS gain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules