Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > It's time to step up

It's time to step up
zombie67
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 02:09 AM

Our tag line: "Team MacNN - The single most amazing group of Mac users ever assembled for anything. Ever."

Yet...we're ranked 16th overall for BOINC projects.

I think it's time we proved it by being #1 at *something*.

Check out this page for the lay of the land:

BOINCstats | Team stats - Search - Team MacNN

I figured a mac-friendly project would be preferred, but there aren't any reachable, or desirable(1). Since that's out, a medical project would be nice to help draw participation(2).

Based on all this, how about a real push to become #1?! I suggest Malaria Control for the following reasons:

o Closest in RAC to #1
o Good cause
o Popular (Bono/DATA/ONE/RED/etc)
o Achievable! (but not easy)
o Finally: It'll be *fun* to work on this as a team.

Well? What do you think!? I *know* we can do this. Are you in?

All aboard!!

1) Mac friendly projects:

- Docking: 26th: Not open to everyone (yet); Not doing real science (yet)
- Predictor: 4th: No new work (although it's may start again soon)
- Rosetta: 11th: Would need to triple our RAC just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 66 *million* to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward.
- RALPH: 12th: Work not always available. Also, excluding beta projects when a regular version exists.
- SIMAP: 39th: Work not always available. But stay attached! We're still moving up fast!
- WCG: 142nd: BOINC is only about 10% of their total contributors. Even so, we would need to multiply our RAC by 9 just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 29 *million* to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward.
- CPDN: 22nd: Only Intel (eventually)...also unreachable.
- Einstein: 18th: We would need to multiply our RAC by 14 just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 100 *million* to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward.
- SETI: 16th: On one hand, we have the best optimized application from our own alexkan. On the other, the non-macs have a fairly good one too. We would need to multiply our RAC by 6 just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 189 *million* to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward.
- SETI Beta: 44th: Beta....
- SZTAKI: 89th: Only PPC, and the applications are craptastic. Lucky to get 50% to validate.
- Pirates: 26th: Work not always available.

2) Medical, not already in #1:

- Malaria Control: 72nd: We would need to multiply our RAC by 11 just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 3 *million* to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward. Also just about to leave Beta. The RAC is mostly just one guy, so it should be fairly easy to really crank this up.
- Proteins: 21st: We would need to multiply our RAC by 16 just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 700 thousand to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward. Beta. The RAC is mostly just one guy, so it should be fairly easy to really crank this up.
- Tanpaku: 47th: We would need to multiply our RAC by 13 just to match (not catch) the #1 RAC team...and we need to add 2 *million* to catch the current #1 team assuming they earn 0 credits going forward. Beta. The RAC is mostly just three people, so it should be fairly easy to really crank this up.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2007, 09:56 AM

I can't really add anything to this since I am new to it all and only have one tiny computer.

I was wondering if we should drop Docking as it seems to be dead in the water and the main communicator there, André, sounds pretty down these days about the progress on the project.

I was just thinking that #16 was really good and even feeling smug about it! Maybe you should see your therapist.
( Last edited by Billy; Jan 26, 2007 at 10:10 AM. )

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2007, 01:16 PM

I second Malaria Control, but...

Any idea when Malaria Control will start sending out work? I'm crunching World Community Grid as my main project for now, but I'd much prefer donating my clock cycles to malaria control (I lived in Mali, West Africa for 2 years, it's an issue I'm very concerned about).

I just joined Team MacNN, by the way (although way back in the day I used to crunch Seti@home for the team.)

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by hempcamp View Post
Any idea when Malaria Control will start sending out work?
Not sure I understand the question. I have been attached ever since they opened up account creation this last time (Jan 4th I think). I've never run out of work, and I have one machine crunching nothing but this one project.

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user...pr=mcp&id=2992

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Not sure I understand the question. I have been attached ever since they opened up account creation this last time (Jan 4th I think). I've never run out of work, and I have one machine crunching nothing but this one project.

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user...pr=mcp&id=2992
Maybe I just wasn't patient enough? I had its prefs set 200 to 100 over WCG and it sent no work (even showed up in messages, no work available) so WCG has been chugging away ever since (only 2 days, but still). Maybe I need to try again.

Everything is set to default settings. Is there a setting that would prevent me from getting malariacontrol.net work? This whole BOINC thing is new to me -- back in the day I never used this animal.

--Chris
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 02:52 PM

Is there a setting that would prevent me from getting malariacontrol.net work?
Your computers are hidden, so I can't investigate. However, Malaria Control has applications for Windows and Linux. Are you trying to attach a Mac?

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Your computers are hidden, so I can't investigate. However, Malaria Control has applications for Windows and Linux. Are you trying to attach a Mac?
Heh, silly me, that would be the problem. I guess I assumed Team MacNN would be attached to projects with Mac applications available, so I never read the project details.

Back to WCG... sorry for swerving your thread OT.

--Chris

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 03:17 PM

Back to WCG... sorry for swerving your thread OT.
No problem. See list #1 in the first post to see the list of mac-friendly projects.

Forum Links
Forum Rules