Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do i install 10.3 security update through target mode from 10.4?

How do i install 10.3 security update through target mode from 10.4?
maccrack
May 8, 2007, 07:33 AM

I have a macbook and ibook the macbook is running 10.4 the ibook is running 10.3 how would i go about installing and 10.3 update on the ibook from the macbook through target mode? it says that the update is for 10.3 when i try to get through the first 2 steps.
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

ChrisF
Senior User
May 8, 2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by maccrack View Post
I have a macbook and ibook the macbook is running 10.4 the ibook is running 10.3 how would i go about installing and 10.3 update on the ibook from the macbook through target mode? it says that the update is for 10.3 when i try to get through the first 2 steps.
It will not work. You'll need to be booted from that system for it to install. Just copy the installer to the iBook and run it there.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 08:05 AM

Not sure I understand, but here goes: if you are just trying to get the latest 10.3 security patch on the iBook why not just let Software Update do its magic? Unless there is something else going on, there is no need to get the MacBook and target mode involved.

maccrack  (op)
May 8, 2007, 04:45 PM

i cant load the ibook because of this

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...fter-security/

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 05:56 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that! You can't run the updater through target mode. My original advise is still the same: whatever went wrong on your hard drive wrecked some Panther system files. Is Disk Warrior able to boot the iBook and give a clean bill of health? Because if DW is constantly coming up with the same problems, then your hard drive is dying.

maccrack  (op)
May 8, 2007, 06:18 PM

Disk Warrior said everything is fine i dont know what going on...

OreoCookie
May 8, 2007, 06:46 PM

Your installation is screwed up, you need to reinstall OS X. You wrote you don't have the CDs, so you'd need to get them (e. g. buy them off ebay, 10.3 should be pretty cheap). There is really no other way … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

maccrack  (op)
May 8, 2007, 06:55 PM

im coming to the end and about to break down and buy the CDs.... i really dont want too loose all my data... and programs that i do not have disks for..

hempcamp
Forum Regular
May 10, 2007, 02:13 PM

So if you have a MacBook and an iBook, why not put the iBook in target disk mode and move all your files temporarily to the MacBook? Then you can use Panther CDs (or Tiger, which IMO makes your iBook a bit quicker) to start over again on the iBook, and when you get to the Migration Assistant during installation, put your MacBook in target disk mode so the iBook can suck out all your files again.

Either way, you're gonna need the CDs (it's a good idea to have them anyway).

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by maccrack View Post
im coming to the end and about to break down and buy the CDs.... i really dont want too loose all my data... and programs that i do not have disks for..
I think I finally understand why this has gone on for so long. You are not going to lose your data by reinstalling 10.3. The installation process allows you to keep all of your settings, programs and files.
Something went wrong with your hard drive and the directory. It messed up your operating system. Disk Warrior fixed the directory damage, but the system needs to be reinstalled. Reinstalling Panther will not erase your programs or files.

OreoCookie
May 10, 2007, 03:07 PM

He doesn't have OS X' install discs, that's the problem … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 03:22 PM

Oreo, I know, he has been debating this across two threads for days!

Forum Links
Forum Rules