Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I need advice on a small file server

I need advice on a small file server
jfobart
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 09:37 AM

So it's time for me to add a second 4bay hot-swappable eSATA box from CoolDrives because I'm constantly popping these drives in and out. Also, I want to relocate my houses user accounts to a central box and have them served up from there- that way no matter where my wife logs in (depending on which machine(s) I'm on, she still sees her desktop, email, etc). So I think I need OS X Server for that.

Now I do have a Dual 1.8 G5 laying around that I replaced with a MacPro a few months back. I was going to sell it figuring I could get $800-900 for it. But if I sell it, what to replace it with?

On MacNN I've seen a few Dual G4/533 or 700s, would those have any trouble running OS X Server and running the setup I'm looking for?

(FYI- I'm running the whole house on gigabit ethernet, and may opt to run a Fiber card from an XServe between my main desktop machine and the new server to expedite file movement- but that's a bit down the road probably if I go that way.)

I just have no experience with those ~500Mhz G4s to know what they've got under the hood and what they'd be capable of in this type of situation. I imagine they'd be fine.

I was thinking of setting up whatever box I use as the server like this:
~2GB RAM
74GB Raptor OS/Apps drive
maybe a 2nd Raptor (perhaps a 150?) to store the user accounts and any other "stuff"
dual PCI eSATA cards (to get 8 ports)
add a second gigabit NIC to do channel-bonding and up my throughput on the network

Any thoughts or concerns? Or other solutions I haven't though of?

Oh, and last question- where the heck can I get a second NIC card to add another gigabit ethernet port to both my main G5 desktop and to this new server?

Thanks all!
A couple MacPro's, a MacBook Pro, a PC, and an iPod.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2007, 09:45 AM

Why would you need to run OS X Server to do that?

jfobart  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 09:52 AM

Because I asked the question earlier of "how do I host user accounts on a non-local machine" and never got any replies. Started doing research and the only answer I found was OS X Server could host the accounts, so that no matter where I log in (my laptop, either desktop, or my wifes soon-to-be-purchased laptop), as long as I was on the local network I'd get my user home directory and account.

Is there another solution besides OS X Server?

(Admittedly that's the only thing I think I need OS X Server for- not for any of the file serving which is easy, just simply for the hosting and serving of user accounts)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2007, 10:30 AM

The old rule was: Anything that you can do with OS X Server you can also do with OS X - provided that you are able to do it manually. That may have changed with more recent OS X Server versions, but something as simple as hosting accounts on remote machines is doable with OS X if you know how to do it. If not, Server is the way to go.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2007, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of OS X Client too, however if you were wanting to give a few things up (such as Spotlight, OS 9 compatibility, etc.) you could probably host your home directory on a non OS X machine too.

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2007, 11:15 AM

I don't think you need Raptors for a file server, especially if it's a small file server, large drives will be cheaper and cheaper per GB. If you want to host user accounts (and not just files) on your server, then OS X Server is definitely the most hassle-free solution for you.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jfobart  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it!!

Any thoughts on OS X Server 10.3 vs 10.4?? If all I'm doing is hosting accounts (and serving files from the eSATA boxes), does it matter? (Or, is there anything I'd be giving up if I went with 10.3 instead of 10.4?)

Just wondering since I'll probably just buy the software off eBay and discs for both versions are out there.

Oreo- you're right about the Raptor, but I have a 74GB Raptor just lying around unused so that's why I was thinking of using that instead of a larger drive.

I guess everyone feels that the Dual G4/533 would be up to the task? (that way I sell the G5, using the proceeds to buy the new eSATA box, Server software, a second NIC & SATA card, and the G4 itself)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2007, 11:52 AM

The G4 should be fine if it has the expansion you need, as there is no processing required to write files to disk, just disk I/O

jfobart  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 02:47 PM

Does anybody know of another NIC card that I can use other than the Sonnet Presto?

Just wondering if there's something out there for less than $80. Thanks!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 07:02 PM

Don't bother with a Raptor in the server; network bandwidth/latency are going to mask any gains in hard drive performance.

jfobart  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2007, 02:17 AM

What if instead of adding a 2nd gigabit ethernet port to the server and my DualG5 (read: buying 2 $90 Sonnet NIC cards), what if instead I got 2 Apple Fiber Channel cards and ran a 25' fiber cable between the server and the DualG5? It would be a few bucks cheaper (each card @$50, the cable basically $50 also, for a total of $150)?

Would there be any good or bad things about this setup instead of just channel-bonding dual gigabit ethernet ports?

Thanks again everyone!

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2007, 03:17 AM

Why do you want two network adapters? For link aggregation? AFAIK only OS X Server can do that -- so on the receiving end with OS X client, you wouldn't benefit from link aggregation.
It seems to me that you don't want a server, but a large harddrive/RAID, that's not what a file server is for. If that's the case, stop wasting this type of money, sell the G5 and get a hardware RAID5 tower as well as an eSATA card. Install OS X Server on your machine and voila.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules