Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Converting MOV to WMV

Converting MOV to WMV
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2010, 10:57 PM

I tried searching but everything's different now (see my excuse below).

What's the best program to (1) record in .WMV format -or- (2) convert .MOV to .WMV?

I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro (10.6.4) and have standard QuickTime (v. 10) which I'm using to record videos. The QT output is .MOV but my wife needs to send it to her school as a .WMV

What's the best (and most afford) program to convert .MOV to .WMV?
Ideally, I want to record in .WMV format instead of converting.

Thanks (and it's nice to be back).

"You last visited: Aug 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM" Has it really been that long?

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2010, 07:09 AM

My suggestion would be to export to .WMV with Quicktime Pro 7. Getting QT7 onto Snow Leopard is potentially tricky, but I mentioned a way of doing this very easily a while ago. You will need to upgrade to the Pro version to export to .WMV.

Using VisualHub is a good way, too, but it's discontinued. I did manage to download it recently from the web, but I forget where from. Search and ye shall find.

Possibly Handbrake.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 09:01 AM

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2010, 01:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

TETENAL: Flip4Mac WMV Studio was a bit too pricey for what I need.

philm: I got the Quicktime Pro 7 but the .MOV to .WMV was terrible as it did not fully convert the entire .MOV file, only parts of it. I tried this several times and got the same results each time. I'll try to contact Apple to get my money back.

I ended up going with iSkysoft Video Converter. Not too bad for $35.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan View Post
philm: I got the Quicktime Pro 7 but the .MOV to .WMV was terrible as it did not fully convert the entire .MOV file, only parts of it. I tried this several times and got the same results each time. I'll try to contact Apple to get my money back.
You cannot blame Apple since QuickTime doesn't do any Windows Media whatsoever. The partial conversion is the Flip4Mac demo mode.

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You cannot blame Apple since QuickTime doesn't do any Windows Media whatsoever. The partial conversion is the Flip4Mac demo mode.
Ah yes, I paid for Flip4Mac at some point, to allow for full QT conversion (not just the first 30 seconds or however it is crippled in demo mode). Sorry for forgetting that detail.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2010, 06:18 PM

TETENAL: I'm not blaming Apple, merely stating that it doesn't seem to be working as it should.

philm: Like you, the paid upgrade to QT 7 Pro did not work like it should. I tried a few times to record in .MOV and then convert to .WMV, and each time the .WMV would cut off.

I contacted Apple customer service but there's no refund (which I already knew) but thought I'd give it a try. Oh well, I'll just stick with that video converter from iSkysoft. It's not great, but at least it converts the entire .MOV video to .WMV.

Thanks guys for your feedback. Much appreciated.

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2010, 10:30 PM

VideoMonkey is the new revision of VisualHub and is free. Just google it.

I've used it to some great stuff from mp4 to wmv, mov to wmv and so on. Hope it works for you.
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules