Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Traditional Art - Oil Painting? (Aka: Any other painters out there?)

Traditional Art - Oil Painting? (Aka: Any other painters out there?)
Amber Neely
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2014, 11:38 PM

Any other traditional artists out there? I'm taking intro to painting, which actually ended up just being pretty much Oil Painting 101. I've had about five years of watercolor classes and not worked with oils prior to this at all, and on top of that, this is my first large-scale attempt at anything. We're doing masterpiece copies, and I chose Ram's Head, White Hollyhock, and Little Hills by Georgia O'Keeffe.

This is nowhere near finished, it's about a 10 hours into it or so, and I expect it'll likely need another 4-6 hours before it's finished. I know that the color is off on the clouds, but I plan on doing a blue glaze to help shift it into a little more of a vibrant color. Oil painting is waaaaaaay messier than watercolor. Oof

That being said, are there any other traditional painters out there? Anyone out there have any tips for oil painting?
( Last edited by Amber Neely; Nov 2, 2014 at 12:24 AM. )

Amber Neely  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2014, 11:09 PM

Just the update. Still not done, but pretty much there. Gotta glaze it and finish the white Hollyhock.

andi*pandi
Nov 4, 2014, 01:04 PM

very cool!

I haven't painted since college (unless you count craft projects).

I've considered going to one of these "Paint Night" events that seem to be cropping up everywhere, but not sure how good the painting will be when the other point of the evening is drinking wine!

Thorzdad
Nov 4, 2014, 06:27 PM

You've done a great job copying that O'Keefe, Amber.
I wish I could offer tips for using oils, but, when I paint, I use acrylics. I never could get a handle on the alchemy of oils.

Amber Neely  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
You've done a great job copying that O'Keefe, Amber.
I wish I could offer tips for using oils, but, when I paint, I use acrylics. I never could get a handle on the alchemy of oils.
Hahaha, yeah, I've never used oils prior to this, really. They're incredibly weird to work with - I grew up on watercolors. I have limited experience with acrylics, but I think I might actually end up painting more with them.

Thanks for the kind words, by the by!

Amber Neely  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
very cool!

I haven't painted since college (unless you count craft projects).

I've considered going to one of these "Paint Night" events that seem to be cropping up everywhere, but not sure how good the painting will be when the other point of the evening is drinking wine!
My professor actually teaches those 'Paint Night' events, and he says it's incredibly fun, but yes, most of the people end up smashed by the time the night is over.

This is also my first time painting in years. The first time I went to college, I was actually a studio arts major, but I dropped out to travel for a few years and just never came back to it. Now, as a science major, I find myself kind of missing the painting/sculpting/textile work. It's a nice change of pace, I suppose!

Forum Links
Forum Rules