Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 19)
TheReverend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
I'm considering blowing off support for Jaguar and supporting Panther exclusively in OSX... any issues/concerns/objections with this scenario? My plan was to originally release 2 versions, but I'm finding Panther much more flexible to what I want to do at this point and the Jaguar build is lacking somewhat in this regard.
If you could, I'd still like to see support for Jaguar...But if ya can't, ya can't...

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 12:34 PM

Considering that by the time Omega is released, Jaguar will have been outdated by at least a year, I say dump Jag support... it's hard enough to keep up with changes to the current OS version (with updates) let alone try to maintain support for an old one.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Considering that by the time Omega is released, Jaguar will have been outdated by at least a year, I say dump Jag support... it's hard enough to keep up with changes to the current OS version (with updates) let alone try to maintain support for an old one.
That's thinking realistically.
click one

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
the old "jag" style Finder window is still there in Panther - just click on the button in the top right hand corner of any finder window. (looks like a pill.. normally use it to change between the large/medium/small icons and text version of the toolbar area)

walla. still have to deal with the changes to key combos in the new finder and what-not... but you don't have to use the sidebar.
doesnt that turn it in to the os9 style finder?
os9-
new window for each folder, no toolbar
jag-
1 window browsing, with toolbar, aqua
panther-
1 window browsing, toolbar, sidebar, metal

anyway probably should dump Jag support, or when the theme comes out if theres enough demand get someone else to do it or something

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 04:36 PM

The Panther simple finder is still better than the OS 9 finder because it has column view mode.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 02:50 PM

bbx: Will you do an iTunes theme and Quicktime theme like mrtew did/does ?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
bbx: Will you do an iTunes theme and Quicktime theme like mrtew did/does ?
That would be nicer looking if he did. I can't stand brushed iApps, it's even worse when your using a dark theme.
click one

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 08:46 PM

That would be nicer looking if he did. I can't stand brushed iApps, it's even worse when your using a dark theme.
I agree.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 01:33 AM

RTFTD (read the freaking thread, dude).
I'm glad that you have time to read through 19 pages of comments. I don't however, and I was asking a simple question, and I get your smarta$$ remarks. No need to bother answering my question either, you've already made my mind up for me on wether or not I was going to use the theme.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jan 9, 2004, 09:50 AM

cSurfr: If my memory is correct it wasn't BBX that stated the theme was going to be released on the 5th, but another forum member (who was misinformed).. Hope that clears up any issues that you have with BBX and Omega.. Sure would feel bad if you missed out one this..

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
'm glad that you have time to read through 19 pages of comments. I don't however, and I was asking a simple question, and I get your smarta$$ remarks. No need to bother answering my question either, you've already made my mind up for me on wether or not I was going to use the theme.
Oh yeah? Well I'm glad you have the time to answer the same questions a thousand times

I wasn't being a smartass, I was being cheeky - probably should've popped a smiley in there I guess. Some people take this sh*t way too seriously.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Jan 9, 2004 at 01:20 PM. )

Hobeaux
Jan 9, 2004, 01:14 PM

You have to forgive BBX, he's been under a lot of strain lately.

Really, he would love for you to enjoy the theme as much as the next guy, but he's taken a lot of flak over the past four months for making the theme as good as (if not better than) he ever imagined, rather than cave in and deliver something that's 'good enough.'

Personally, one of the main reasons i don't use themes is that 'good enough' isn't and I revert back to the standard Aqua GUI in less than a day (if not within an hour).

Here's to the crazy ones.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
I'm glad that you have time to read through 19 pages of comments. I don't however, and I was asking a simple question, and I get your smarta$$ remarks. No need to bother answering my question either, you've already made my mind up for me on wether or not I was going to use the theme.
If you don't have time to read the thread, send an email or private message.

-Owl

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 08:54 PM

This thread looks like it must be very interesting because it's so long, but I have more important things to do. Can someone tell me what it's about? And no smarta$$ replies or i won't use this theme and then you'll be sorry.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
This thread looks like it must be very interesting because it's so long, but I have more important things to do. Can someone tell me what it's about? And no smarta$$ replies or i won't use this theme and then you'll be sorry.

What's funny is I think I've read almost everything in this topic, well at least everything BBX posted.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 10:03 PM

Here is the omega thread in a nutshell:

BBX: Look at this cool theme guys!
Guy: We want it now! When's it coming out!
BBX: Um, soon... maybe a couple months.

2 months later

Guy: When's it coming out? You said 2 months.
BBX: It's been delayed, maybe December.

2 months later

Guy: BBX we want it now! You said it would come out!
BBX: Yeah, but something secret is holding me up.

2 weeks later

Guy: So now shapeshifter's out and not omega. When's it coming out?
BBX: Um, let's say a few weeks.. until shapeshifter 1.1.

1 month later

Guy: You said it'd be out and it isn't you tool!
BBX: But it's free, and there's nothing like it ever before, really!
Guy: But but you suck!
BBX: Ok now I'm pissed off, no more dates. Look for a sneak peak christmas.

Christmas

Guy: Where's the sneak peak?
Me: Oh, it's january 1st. Sorry.
Guy: grrrr

January 1st

Guy: Woohoo, there's an itunes remote preview at macthemes and it rocks.
Guy 2: Woohoo, it sucks. Thanks a lot.

2 weeks later

Guy: So now this thread is over a thousand replies and I'm too lazy to read. What's this about?
Me: Here you go
( Last edited by phillryu; Jan 10, 2004 at 12:06 PM. )

derdomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 10:14 PM

aplause... very funny... I love this thread... it becomes crazier every day

hope bbx isn't really pissed off... to be pissed off is not good for working creatively
(at least not for me)
and hope omega comes soon (no i'm not beggin' i'm just teazed)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
[B]Here is the omega thread in a nutshell:

BBX: Look at this cool theme guys!
Guy: We want it now! When's it coming out!
BBX: Um, soon... maybe a couple months.

2 months later

Guy: When's it coming out? You said 2 months.
BBX: It's been delayed, maybe December.

2 months later[/b[

Guy: BBX we want it now! You said it would come out!
BBX: Yeah, but something secret is holding me up.

2 weeks later

Guy: So now shapeshifter's out and not omega. When's it coming out?
BBX: Um, let's say a few weeks.. until shapeshifter 1.1.

1 month later

Guy: You said it'd be out and it isn't you tool!
BBX: But it's free, and there's nothing like it ever before, really!
Guy: But but you suck!
BBX: Ok now I'm pissed off, no more dates. Look for a sneak peak christmas.

Christmas

Guy: Where's the sneak peak?
Me: Oh, it's january 1st. Sorry.
Guy: grrrr

January 1st

Guy: Woohoo, there's an itunes remote preview at macthemes and it rocks.
Guy 2: Woohoo, it sucks. Thanks a lot.
2 weeks later

Guy: So now this thread is over a thousand replies and I'm too lazy to read. What's this about?
Me: Here you go
lol That was the coolest thing in this topic since the 2nd Omega poster thing with the icons on it. (the remote preview was on MacThemes)

Well you guys, smeger is working hard on getting to SS v1.1, once it's out you'll know Omega will be just around the corner.
click one

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 06:14 PM

damn I feel really stupid. I found the answer to my question on the first page of this thread - in the very first post as a matter of fact.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 09:21 AM

damn I feel really stupid. I found the answer to my question on the first page of this thread - in the very first post as a matter of fact.

(just to keep this thread alive)

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 09:29 AM

Let's let this 'die' until Bill has something to say.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 02:37 PM

Sorry to keep this thread going, but I didn't want to start another one. (And I'm not complaining, bitching, moaning, or anything of that sort.)

Is there some sort of mailing list that one could get on to be notified when this theme is released? I'm really looking forward to it, but I can't check here every day. And I don't want to miss the debut!

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Sorry to keep this thread going, but I didn't want to start another one. (And I'm not complaining, bitching, moaning, or anything of that sort.)

Is there some sort of mailing list that one could get on to be notified when this theme is released? I'm really looking forward to it, but I can't check here every day. And I don't want to miss the debut!
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the list.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 04:11 PM

How current is the list BBX? I had you add me oh about a year and 1/2 ago.. is that still the same list? (message sent)

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 04:34 PM

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the list.
Better yet (because my PM box is now full!), get my email address from my profile and send me an email.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 03:17 PM

OK, SS 1.1 is out - where's the BEEF?

SB

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 03:21 PM

if you read unsanity.org, you'll note that the version numbering has been reworked: 1.5 will be the major incrimental update that heralds Omega. 1.1 is a features update only.

Dave

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
OK, SS 1.1 is out - where's the BEEF?

SB
We've got a winner

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 03:46 PM

Smeger wrote: "ShapeShifter 1.1 has just hit beta. There's been quite a bit of talk about ShapeShifter 1.1 and William Bart's Omega theme, so I thought I'd be pre-emptive and note that we're juggling version numbers around a bit and this is not the ShapeShifter version that Omega is waiting on.

Here's what's up: Bug fix releases increment the version number by x.x.1. Minor new features increment the version number by x.1. Major new features increment the version number either to .5 or by a whole digit. The version that just hit beta has minor new features, not just bug fixes, so it's version 1.1.

We'll probably call the version that accompanies the Omega theme version 1.5.

Sorry for any confusion this causes or has caused, or will cause."

So just because 1.1 is out doesn't mean that Omega will be coming any time soon.. So please go back to watch your regularly scheduled broadcast..

Hobeaux
Jan 21, 2004, 03:48 PM

Die, thread! DIE!
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

onlooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Smeger wrote: "ShapeShifter 1.1 has just hit beta. There's been quite a bit of talk about ShapeShifter 1.1 and William Bart's Omega theme, so I thought I'd be pre-emptive and note that we're juggling version numbers around a bit and this is not the ShapeShifter version that Omega is waiting on.

Here's what's up: Bug fix releases increment the version number by x.x.1. Minor new features increment the version number by x.1. Major new features increment the version number either to .5 or by a whole digit. The version that just hit beta has minor new features, not just bug fixes, so it's version 1.1.

We'll probably call the version that accompanies the Omega theme version 1.5.

Sorry for any confusion this causes or has caused, or will cause."

So just because 1.1 is out doesn't mean that Omega will be coming any time soon.. So please go back to watch your regularly scheduled broadcast..

Well crap. How long until 1.5 is expected to be out? It took forever to get from 1.0 to 1.1.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by onlooker:
Well crap. How long until 1.5 is expected to be out? It took forever to get from 1.0 to 1.1.
Well hard to say... maybe the same amount of time it took to get to 1.1?
click one

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 12:58 AM

This is the funniest thing ever.

Someone should've pointed Wired to this thread - giving Omega & whatever-relevant-ShapeShifter-release consideration for their Vaporware awards.

I'm sure BBX is working hard though, but how about a screen shot? maybe a few things this theme will have that is making it so special and unreleaseable until SS 1.5?
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

WDRAM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 01:01 AM

Don't worry, just give it a year and a half and then he'll announce BBX ALPHA which will completely explain the delay in OMEGA which will completely explain the delay in MIRAIKANE.
W D R A M

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 01:10 AM

Ya what ever guys... it has nothing to do with BBX that SS 1.5 isn't done yet. A truly dark theme is going to need 1.5 to be usable.
click one

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by onlooker:
2 months is forever?
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

quandarry
Jan 22, 2004, 02:34 AM

this is a case of the horse pushing the buggy.

orrrrrrr...

derdomi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 01:45 PM

I think it's good that bbx is waiting for SS 1.5.
You guys saw Neos by DSKY, right?
I think it's the most beautyful dark theme this far. But it's not very usable. The only dark theme I used for more than a couple of hours was FT-700 by DSKY.
I expect much from SS 1.5 and Omega, so it's better to wait for cool features (dark sidebar-background for example, hope SS 1.5 will feature that) than have another great looking dark theme that is not very usable at all.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
this is a case of the horse pushing the buggy.

orrrrrrr...

lol.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 02:01 PM

I can't quite understand. Is ShapeShifter1.5 not completely coded yet ? Or are Unsanity just teasing us so that BBX can completely finish up Omega and the extras ?

What the hell is so special about 1.5 that they could'nt have put it in 1.1 ? Just curious. I may have been locked up too long so bare with me.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 22, 2004, 02:28 PM

I can't quite understand. Is ShapeShifter1.5 not completely coded yet ? Or are Unsanity just teasing us so that BBX can completely finish up Omega and the extras ?

What the hell is so special about 1.5 that they could'nt have put it in 1.1 ? Just curious. I may have been locked up too long so bare with me.
Its mostly just gettting all of the cutom text colors to "take" in all the necessary apps. This is very tedious and smeg is busting blood vessels nightly to make it happen. There are other things too but this is the major usability issue for dark themes which is causing the delay.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Seion
Jan 22, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Its mostly just gettting all of the cutom text colors to "take" in all the necessary apps. This is very tedious and smeg is busting blood vessels nightly to make it happen. There are other things too but this is the major usability issue for dark themes which is causing the delay.
Hear hear on the text color issue.

I'm having headaches getting my Trekkie theme to look like I want it due to text color issues.

It is a very big bother for dark themes (or black bg themes like mine)
Normal People Worry Me.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 02:44 PM

understood. I may not be the best to understand how hard it really is to code. I guess I'm one of those without any patience at all. I must learn that waiting is a virtue.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 03:20 PM

C'mon, do you honstly think Unsanity would sit on a fully coded update chock full of new features for one theme?

1.1 is a great update, but like Smeger said it's not the update I was originally told would be called 1.1 - that will actually be called (for the sake of discussion) version 1.5. What's planned for 1.5 is something pretty powerful - something themers will appreciate immediately and end-users will come to appreciate once more and more themers take advantage of it. Because the feature(s) I speak of have been in the works from the very beginning (and are something a good part of Omega was designed around), we'll all just have to wait on it before Omega can be released.

Also keep in mind that the stuff in 1.5 has to be implemented across both SS and TP in such a way that other themers can easily exploit it as well. We're also trying to make it as flexible as possible so In the end it will not only make Omega possible but deliver a vast range of possible effects that any themer can use. Smeger's coding his ass off, I've been pushing the pixels to the point where my freaking eyes are bleeding - we're all doing the best we can..

Who knows, we may actually see a 1.2 and even a 1.3 update to nail smaller things as Smeger makes headway on what he envisions for 1.5... people should appreciate the fact that he's releasing incremental updates and not holding it all back for big ones.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 03:23 PM

Its mostly just gettting all of the cutom text colors to "take" in all the necessary apps.
That's part of it, but I'm talking about much more powerful stuff that brings some effect and design possibilities that haven't been possible before now.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 22, 2004, 03:38 PM

That's part of it, but I'm talking about much more powerful stuff that brings some effect and design possibilities that haven't been possible before now.
Good work billy, now you just added another 25 pages to this thread with that excitement. I was trying to relieve the strangle hold that some have on you. LOL

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 03:44 PM

I can see you're not a programmer...

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 03:54 PM

C'mon, do you honstly think Unsanity would sit on a fully coded update chock full of new features for one theme?
Who knows what's in the minds of the good people at Unsanity!? just kidding.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
I can see you're not a programmer...
Ofcourse I'm not. I don't have the mindset to be a programmer. I'm more of a visual oriented kinda guy.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 06:51 PM

Ofcourse I'm not. I don't have the mindset to be a programmer. I'm more of a visual oriented kinda guy.
Nothing wrong with that (it takes something of a masochistic mindset ). Anything I was going to say has been said above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules