Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4.6 available over Software Update!

iTunes 4.6 available over Software Update!
f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2004, 02:20 PM

Downloading...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 02:23 PM

+ Me too (includes some 'minor enhancements', or support for iTMSE as it might be called )

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 02:30 PM

Nothing much new that I can see...other than they added an options for AirPort Express in the preferences.
( Last edited by zachs; Jun 11, 2004 at 09:28 AM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2004, 02:32 PM

Cool.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 02:33 PM

Two new options in the Audio Tab. AirTunes related...
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 02:43 PM

YAY!!

Oh, wait. Meh. Not much good until AirPort Express ships.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
YAY!!

Oh, wait. Meh. Not much good until AirPort Express ships.
True. Eventful week at Apple. They should have never bothered with the whole "AirTunes" business especially since it is part of iTunes. They should have just called it Airport Express works with iTunes 4.6+. Why is there a need to add another name to the list? I don't get it.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by bkb:
True. Eventful week at Apple. They should have never bothered with the whole "AirTunes" business especially since it is part of iTunes. They should have just called it Airport Express works with iTunes 4.6+. Why is there a need to add another name to the list? I don't get it.
the device is called Airport Express with an AirTunes feature that works in combination with this new version of iTunes

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 03:18 PM

And why not skip the middle man?

Airport Express [...] works [...] with [...} iTunes.

After all, isn't simplicity one of Apple's guiding principles?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 9, 2004, 03:27 PM

Yippie, but we can't do anything with it till the middle of next month if we are lucky.

"Hello, what have we here?

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2004, 03:42 PM

Word to the wise,

If you happened to convert some of your protected music with Hymn, they will not work with iTunes anymore, regardless if you own it and are trying to play it on a authorized machine.

It must look at the account info which Hymn leaves in.

Playfair converted files on the other hand, work fine

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 04:05 PM

Maybe over time Apple will make the AirTunes SDK available so other apps (i.e. DVD Player, VNC, etc) can work with it?

Anything else new in iTunes 4.6? Still at work so can't load it till I get home.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 04:31 PM

Yeah, I was wondering what all the excitement was, it seems to add support for hardware that hasn't even been released yet.
It's funny that it breaks the playfair/hymn stuff again - you thought it wouldn't?

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 9, 2004, 07:11 PM

After updating to 10.3.4 and iTunes 4.6 my frame rates in the visualizer have bursts into the 55 frames range which never occurred before.

Also, remember the powerbook fan problem that some (including me) had where the fan would cycle more often with the same apps running and actually run warmer.

Well 10.3.4 solved that and iTunes now runs smoothly again.

Apple...I'm amazed.

Anyone else notice this?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 11:52 PM

Has there been any adjustment to 4.5's poorly implemented logarithmic volume?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 01:07 AM

Yes, something has definitely changed with the volume again, although I don't know how to express it in any more detail than that .

Basically, before 4.5 I had the iTunes volume only about two steps up from the bottom. With 4.5, I got the same volume at about halfway up, and now with 4.6, I get the same volume at about 1/4 of the way up. Oh well ... it keeps one on one's toes .

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 01:50 AM

So it breaks hymn, eh? Bummer. I'm sure hymn will be updated eventually and work again, but it's just a pain. I only use it so I can temporarily convert .m4p files to .m4a and then .mp3 so I can burn them to CDs for play on my car stereo, so I can wait. Annoying, but not unexpected.

How about getTunes? That broke with 4.5 also, didn't it? And do they again not let you browse and stream shared music unless both computers have the same version of iTunes. That is REALLY annoying and dumb.

jaydisc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 06:00 AM

My 2c on a couple of things:

I read somewhere (sorry, can't recall) that WDS (Wireless Distribution Scheme?), the feature in the current base station that allows it to be a repeater IS a known and accepted standard but NOT part of the completed 802.11g spec. Thus, Apple is JUST playing it safe by not "promising" compatibility, thus not having to support it. However, I'm quite sure (sans evidence) that it will work with any 3rd party WDS supporting 802.11g router, at the bare minimum, any 3rd party router that works with the current AEBS's WDS.

I also agree that the ethernet port will behave as a LAN port if desired and thus, an X-Box would work fine.

I also believe that since AirTunes does use Rendezvous, using that functionality over ethernet should be just fine unless intentionally crippled (which I doubt).

I'm sure the power adapter cables and tips are the same for iPod/iBook/PowerBook.

As far as if your Mac is in another room, I think this thing is definitely made for PowerBooks. iBooks, and IMO, one day probably not too far away... iPods.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Maybe over time Apple will make the AirTunes SDK available so other apps (i.e. DVD Player, VNC, etc) can work with it?

Anything else new in iTunes 4.6? Still at work so can't load it till I get home.
Either they will or others will reverse engineer it...

Hobeaux
Jun 10, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
After updating to 10.3.4 and iTunes 4.6 my frame rates in the visualizer have bursts into the 55 frames range which never occurred before....
You've inadvertantly typed the T key while viewing the visualizer. Doing so toggles the Frame Rate Cap of 30.

Type H to bring up a menu of other visualizer options.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 12:01 PM

Hobeaux,

Thanks for clarifying that..a case of leaving well enough alone, but going no further.

I didn't think to go back and change the settings.

Thanks again.

Any idea why the Mighty Mouse cursor (custom cursor app) reverts to Apple default cursor waking from sleep or from iTunes visualizer being deactivated?

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by ccrider:
If you happened to convert some of your protected music with Hymn, they will not work with iTunes anymore, regardless if you own it and are trying to play it on a authorized machine.
find ~/Music -iname '*.m4p' -exec perl -pi -e 'BEGIN{$b=0}if(!$b){if(s/geID\x00\x00/DIeg\x00\x00/){$b=1}}' {} ";"

(that is one nasty command found it here)

themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Nothing much new that I can see...other than they added an option for getting rid of the gap between songs when burning.
i thought this had always been there...or am i missing something

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 06:34 AM

So annoying they went after Hymned files. What's silly is that since they're normal AAC files, hymned files play fine in
- Quicktime
- VLC
- WinAmp AAC plugin
- Anything else capable of playing AAC

Only iTunes inserted this annoying check for the 'Account ID' field. The hymn developers changed Playfair's behavior (which stripped this field) and left the Account ID field a goodwill gesture, to emphasize that people are using hymn for their own fair use, not to give away to others.

But since Apple crippled iTunes by refusing to play files with the Account ID field but no encryption, the solution is simply to remove that field. The resultant files are perfectly normal AAC files that cannot be distinguished from self-encoded AACs.

Gatekeeper, your script seems to only find .m4p, not .m4a files, which I find curious? This very similar command will affect only your hymned files, and leave .m4p files alone:
Code:
find ~/Music -iname '*.m4a' -exec perl -pi -e 'BEGIN{$b=0}if(!$b){if(s/geID\x00\x00/DIeg\x00\x00/){$b=1}}' {} ";"
Once processed this way, the Hymn files are completely normal AAC files and will work forever in iTunes or any other AAC player. That's the whole reason I see to use hymn, is 'future-proofing' my music files: I know now I'm not dependent on Apple's survival and business decisions about iTunes to keep access to my music.
( Last edited by Mithras; Jun 11, 2004 at 06:49 AM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by themarvelous3:
i thought this had always been there...or am i missing something
Yeah....I realized that after I posted, but couldn't edit.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 03:11 PM

Ever since I updated last week, I've been having random crashes while using iTunes. The only thing that's changed is iTunes. I used to get crashes with my Revolution sound card but I've disabled that.

Anyone else seeing KPs after updating iTunes?

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Forum Links
Forum Rules