Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD displays and EMF interference

LCD displays and EMF interference
furtheraway
Oct 22, 2001, 05:52 PM

ahoy fellow macnn readers.. i've searched the forums and i can't find an answer to this question i have:

are modern lcd displays (like apple's awesome line) affected by interference from outdoor power lines? i live a little too close to some power lines and it causes my crt display to wobble horribly at any refresh rates above 65 hz. i think this is called emf interference, but i could be wrong..

thankfully, i'm able to lower the rate to 60 hz (ugh!) in os x, but some games briefly change the setting and it's intolerable. short of moving to a safer (for my sanity *and* my health) location, will an lcd display allow me to forget this problem forever? i've read that lcds don't have a 'true' refresh rate, but i've seen their specs listed with refresh rates.. this confuses me.

anyone care to share any information they have on this subject? i'd really appreciate it as i'm ready to run (not walk) to the store to buy a new apple 17" lcd..

GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2001, 07:32 PM

I have had this same problem...I wasn't sure if it's the power lines, or maybe something in the walls...all I know is that I have gone through 3 monitors trying to get away from this problem. I'm also thinking of resorting to a LCD as well, and would like an answer to this problem.

Man, I'm sick of my eyes shaking back and forth...gives me a headache

furtheraway  (op)
Oct 22, 2001, 07:52 PM

someone i talked to after posting the original message suggested that i try a power conditioner to smooth things out a bit. apc makes some.. so i may check those out. i still think that i'm way too close to the lines to use this crt, though.

so, anyone know if emf has the same effect on lcd displays?

and while we're on the subject, do lcds actually have a 'true' refresh rate?

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2001, 09:26 PM

No, strong EMF do not affect LCDs the same way CRTs are affected. I could explain it but it's long and complicated without some physics background...but basically the CRT is streaming electrons at your glass tube in your CRT. The EMF distorts the stream, hence the interference.

furtheraway  (op)
Oct 22, 2001, 10:40 PM

thanks for the explanation. that makes sense.

looks like it's lcd time for me.

thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules