Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple's warning on new iPhone update

Apple's warning on new iPhone update
vln2
Sep 25, 2007, 08:57 PM

I guess Apple is warning that the new update coming up later this week will disable altered iPhones.
I think that is going little far. So far the updates did not introduce any significant improvements. If the next update only gives accessibility to iTunes Music Store via Wi-Fi it is not much of any incentive to install it. I expected more improvements - it is almost October.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/te...gy&oref=slogin

AT&T signal in my area is terrible and they refuse to make any upgrades. At least I was counting on some new features we've heard about for a long time.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 09:30 PM

multi-language support is worth the upgrade (at least for me)

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
I guess Apple is warning that the new update coming up later this week will disable altered iPhones.
I think you worded that a bit wrong. Apple said that some of the unlocking hacks cause the iPhone to become a brick after the update. Apple is giving fair warning to the people who have unlocked their iPhone with various tools. Apple has never said all of the hacks cause the iPhone to become a brick.

Its easy to understand that some of these hacks were written by amateurs who give no sort of guarantee on anything. In fact, most make it plainly clear they are not responsible for anything that goes wrong. There's a high probability that some of these hackers, while very intelligent, just did something wrong or unknowingly did something in such a way that altered the software on the iPhone where an update blows it up.

I just don't get the uproar over this. Apple is putting out fair warning. Would those who took the massive risk in unlocking their iPhone rather Apple said nothing so that they could find out on their own? Just read what Phil said in that article. Apple isn't proactively disabling the phones.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2007, 09:44 PM

Ok, I'm gonna try and nip this one in the bud; before a whole "thing" breaks out.

Here's the deal with the update warning:

There are two different ways to modify your iPhone:
  1. The first, and most common, is the iPHUC/jailbreak/Installer.app method. All this does is simply modify resource files on the system partition of the iPhone (chaning icons/docks, adding applications). In the worst case scenario, you can restore your phone to the most recent firmware in iTunes, and you'll be running right as rain again - with the basic Apple-sanctioned config.
  2. The second method is the much talked about software unlock for the iPhone. This allows almost any carrier's SIM to be used in the phone, but involves modifying the baseband's firmware. This is perfectly legal to do, but is much riskier than the first type of modification and will possibly void your warranty!

What Apple is saying, basically, is that they intend to modify part of the baseband firmware. Since the second (unlocking) method alters that firmware, Apple will take no responsibility should that cause your phone to become re-locked or if the firmware is damaged in such a way that it can no longer be flashed and updated.

If all you have is Installer.app running on the AT&T network (the first method), the worst that'll happen to you is any modifications will be wiped out and the base iPhone software image restored.

However, if you've unlocked your phone, I'd wait for the iPhone devs to work out that firmware restore tool they've promised before you update - if you choose to do it at all.

Also, it's my belief that the same method to re-unlock the iPhone will not work, since it relied on a buffer overrun bug in the original system software. Apple will undoubtedly patch that bug.
( Last edited by Earth Mk. II; Sep 25, 2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: clarification of the unlocking method)
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2007, 09:47 PM

I hope Apple delivers on the promise of a significant update! The list of bugs and pretty obvious enhancements is getting long, now that over 1 million of us have had these in our hands for awhile.

So long as Apple does not intentionally kill off third party development, I don't care what they do. Those that are unlocking the phone are taking a calculated risk. The current iPhone software (1.02) is very stable. If Apple releases major new enhancements, then the hackers can put together a special updater.

The villains in this scenario are the FTC - who should never have allowed cell phone companies to 'lock' phones to a single carrier in the first place. Without the Carter decision to 'unlock' Ma Bell, we would not have FAXes, voicemail, modems or even DSL. Networks and handsets need to be uncoupled. Those hackers upset at Apple should send a note to their legislators to fix this situation for the next gen iPhone (or whatever Sony or Nokia comes up with).

vln2  (op)
Sep 25, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I think you worded that a bit wrong. Apple said that some of the unlocking hacks cause the iPhone to become a brick after the update. Apple is giving fair warning to the people who have unlocked their iPhone with various tools. Apple has never said all of the hacks cause the iPhone to become a brick.
Apple did not release any development tools and only threatens any developers that by writing their software they are damaging Apple's product. In their language there is no distinction between those who develop new useful programs and hackers. For them any hack is just that. The language is rather harsh.

Switching to AT&T was something I accepted from the beginning but since I can't get calls at work I started to consider unlocking my iPhone and switching back to T-Mobile which gave me decent signal.
Costs would be insignificant in comparison with the money I lost in last 3 months not being able to use my cell phone. Apple's saber rattling on top of heavy discount just makes the situation worse.
I was using before almost all of my 1000 anytime minutes with T-Mobile. I am now down to 150 minutes per month and can't use minutes I have out of our 1400 min shared plan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules