Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Software 1.1.1?

Software 1.1.1?
jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 02:26 PM

Anyone installed this version yet? What's new exactly?

Just saw the list:
• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
• Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
• Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
• Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
• Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
• Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
• Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
• Support for TV Out
• Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
• New Passcode lock time intervals
• Adjustable alert volume

All glory to the hypnotoad.

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 02:27 PM

Installing now. Just about started my own thread. According to the read me file a bunch of stuff including:

- Wifi iTunes Store
- Double space = period
- Louder speaker and ringer
- Ability to disable Edge for international roaming
- Double-click home to go to phone or music (must be a preference)

There was other stuff I cannot remember. Downloading and installing now. And its huge. About 150 megs or so.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 02:29 PM

Is it out now?
I'm under the assumption that the new software is going to bring Wi-Fi store and all the new features for the iPhone.

edit: I'm too slow.
Cool to hear that it's out. I've been excited for the Wi-Fi store and interested to find out what the update will do to unlocked iPhones.

Question. Does it wipe your iPhone, update it, and then resync it, or just update it?

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Is it out now?
I'm under the assumption that the new software is going to bring Wi-Fi store and all the new features for the iPhone.
It is out. I'm 5 minutes into the upgrade right now. No hacks on my phone so hoping for good results.

dw9

-------------------

Install is done. The bottom row looks the same (I was kinda hoping it would look like the iTouch). iTunes music store appears directly below the settings option. Will report anything else I see right away. One thing that was odd is that after the install and it reboots again it has to activate the phone again. iTunes prompted me that the install was done and it was going to reboot so I pulled it off the dock. When it rebooted it said it needed to activate the phone again. It was just like when I purchased it. Plugged it in and it activated fine. Thought I would mention.
( Last edited by dawho9; Sep 27, 2007 at 02:38 PM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
• Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
• Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
• Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
• Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
• Adjustable alert volume
Very nice.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
• Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
• Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
• Support for TV Out
• Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
• New Passcode lock time intervals
meh

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 02:41 PM

Wow the speaker is really loud now. I just jumped into the iTunes store and did a preview of Maroon 5's Wake Up Call and it was way too loud. It was at about 75% on the slider bar and the distortion was bad. I had to move it all the way down to about 40% before it sounded good.

dw9

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 02:42 PM

I had Installer.app on my phone, but that's it (on AT&T's network).

Upgrade/restore went fine. No babies eaten. Happy to see iTunes Plus tracks on WiFi Music Store.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

Damn I hate being at work when an update comes out! Gotta wait until I get home.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Damn I hate being at work when an update comes out! Gotta wait until I get home.
I just made sure I had a recent backup on my office mac
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 02:48 PM

152 MB is murder on cruddy 1.5 Mbps office DSL.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 02:50 PM

clearly, you need a better office.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Happy to "call in sick today". I get an early iPhone update and played a round of golf today. Its a perfect day. :-)

The rest of the updates work as expected.

Double-click settings are in Settings | General | Home Button. You can turn off double click also.

Double-space = period works fine for the first e-mail I sent. That is off by default. (Settings | General | Keyboard)

The attachments are fine, but I really wish they added the ability to compose messages in both views. Future update maybe.

I'm a little confused by the explanation of Data Roaming. By default Data Roaming is turned off but I still connect fine to Edge when Wi-Fi is turned off. Maybe this only works internationally or it doesn't do what I think it does.

dw9

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 02:54 PM

Question. Does it wipe your iPhone, update it, and then resync it, or just update it?
it didn't seem to sync anything when I connected it and all of my music/movies are there. So its only an update - outside of the strange re-activate thing.

dw9

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular

I keep getting this message when the updater runs:

"The iPhone "Phone Name" could not be restored. The disk you are attempting to use is full. Removing files and emptying the Recycle Bin will free up additional space."

I have plenty of room on this PC, and the iPhone has over 1 GB of free space.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster

Got it installed here at work. Was hoping for a more Leopard style dock at the bottom (like the iPod Touch got) but the look remains the same. Having the iTunes icon default to the right just looks odd to me...

No issues updating, though. So far so good!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 03:11 PM

Dude WTF... ok NO hacks here, NO extra software, just a 100% pure iPhone...

Downloaded the update, and got an error message as it was installing on my phone. It froze, had a blank screen, and then iTunes said it had detected an iPhone in revovery, and had to be completely restored. Most of my music is on an external, which is not with me ATM. this sucks?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by dawho9 View Post
I'm a little confused by the explanation of Data Roaming. By default Data Roaming is turned off but I still connect fine to Edge when Wi-Fi is turned off. Maybe this only works internationally or it doesn't do what I think it does.
Yes, that's the definition of "roaming".

That preference is necessary to avoid the horrendous phone bills incurred by using EDGE services abroad.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2007, 03:15 PM

Just tried the update and it trashed my iPhone, I can't restore it either. It's a stock iPhone, no hacks or mods. I'm on hold with iPhone customer support. We've tried several things to restore, no luck so far. Now I'm getting escalated to the technicians....
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones View Post
I keep getting this message when the updater runs:

"The iPhone "Phone Name" could not be restored. The disk you are attempting to use is full. Removing files and emptying the Recycle Bin will free up additional space."

I have plenty of room on this PC, and the iPhone has over 1 GB of free space.
Now I can't even install iTunes 7.4.3, it tells me the same thing. Not enough space on the disk, even though there is plenty. Other programs install without issue.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 03:30 PM

I have to admit, after eager anticipation, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the feature set being added (esp. after sampling the Amazon MP3 downloads--Wi Fi iTMS ost a little luster for me). I'll be more interested in bug fixes and stability.

(EDIT) Just looked at the list of fixes at About the security content of the iPhone 1.1.1 Update. Safari in particular has quite the laundry list. It's interesting to note a new concern, given the mix of telephony and web browsing; attacks via Safari that can result in calls being placed. I can picture it: visiting a compromised website that causes the iPhone to call 900 numbers...

Safari

CVE-ID: CVE-2007-3757

Impact: Visiting a malicious website may lead to unintended dialing or dialing a different number than expected

Description: Safari supports telephone ("tel:") links to dial phone numbers. When a telephone link is selected, Safari will confirm that the number should be dialed. A maliciously crafted telephone link may cause a different number to be displayed during confirmation than the one actually dialed. Exiting Safari during the confirmation process may result in unintentional confirmation. This update addresses the issue by properly displaying the number that will be dialed, and requiring confirmation for telephone links. Credit to Billy Hoffman and Bryan Sullivan of HP Security Labs (formerly SPI Labs) and Eduardo Tang for reporting this issue.

I will admit though that the boost in speakerphone volume is a big fix though...there were times I had to hold the phone to my ear even with the speakerphone active. And in the car, listening to the music? Fuggedaboutit! Too quiet, even with the windows up.

So I'll give it a shot.
( Last edited by frdmfghtr; Sep 27, 2007 at 03:36 PM. )

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2007, 03:35 PM

They had me switch from my Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card to the internal Apple USB port on my G4 and after the 2nd try, it finally restored. Whew, scary!

I guess it didn't like that non-Apple USB port...

Originally Posted by JohnM15141 View Post
Just tried the update and it trashed my iPhone, I can't restore it either. It's a stock iPhone, no hacks or mods. I'm on hold with iPhone customer support. We've tried several things to restore, no luck so far. Now I'm getting escalated to the technicians....
( Last edited by JohnM15141; Sep 27, 2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling)
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

HazMacFan
Sep 27, 2007, 03:50 PM

Took a bit to update. AppTap is gone and now I got the new iTunes icon. Was worried there with the iPhone resarting so many times. Pink Floyd's "On the Run" never felt this long before. All ok here now.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

darkfusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 03:52 PM

Scared to try with installer.app installed. Dont want itunes to wipe that.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JohnM15141 View Post
They had me switch from my Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card to the internal Apple USB port on my G4 and after the 2nd try, it finally restored. Whew, scary!

I guess it didn't like that non-Apple USB port...
Heh, I did mine over the USB port of my Dell 20" monitor (on a PC) with no problems.

HazMacFan
Sep 27, 2007, 04:00 PM

Oh one thing I just noticed, in the iPod mode, I had Podcasts as my left most button. Its back to Playlists now.
( Last edited by HazMacFan; Sep 27, 2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Typo)
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by darkfusion View Post
Scared to try with installer.app installed. Dont want itunes to wipe that.
In a word: don't try it.

I had Installer.app installed with Mobile IM, and that's it--no unlocking hacks, nothing else. fter the first attempt, my iPhone entered recovery mode and had to be fully restored. After the restoration, I got an error that syncing failed because the iPhone was disconnected (which was not the case).

Anyway, I removed and reconnect the phone, and the syncing started afresh; the new firmware was already installed, so now I'm syncing my data.

SO...my advice is this: if you have any hacks at all, do a full restore before installing the update; it will help keep years on your life and hair on your head.

-Q-
Sep 27, 2007, 04:21 PM

Only had custom ringtones via iToner installed and those are gone. Otherwise, the update went as it should.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

I had Installer.app installed with Mobile IM, and that's it--no unlocking hacks, nothing else. fter the first attempt, my iPhone entered recovery mode and had to be fully restored. After the restoration, I got an error that syncing failed because the iPhone was disconnected (which was not the case).

Anyway, I removed and reconnect the phone, and the syncing started afresh; the new firmware was already installed, so now I'm syncing my data.

SO...my advice is this: if you have any hacks at all, do a full restore before installing the update; it will help keep years on your life and hair on your head.
Just do the restore from the get-go. The end result is the same (all apps/music wiped), but you save yourself a few steps since it doesn't even try to update the phone and just purges without looking.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

I had installer app installed, and nothing happened other than installer.app went away after the update. This went much smoother than any other update I've done.

sunshineee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 05:02 PM

i want to install installer app but I have 1.1.1..having issues installing...????

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 05:13 PM

One thing of interest, I was signed into my iTunes France Music store account rather than the US music store and I now have access to the French musict store on my iPhone. I was able to buy a track no problem and the interface is in French.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by sunshineee View Post
i want to install installer app but I have 1.1.1..having issues installing...????
You're going to have to wait until they make an installer.app that runs on 1.1.1.

I installed mine over my iPhone 1.0.2 with installer.app. Installer.app got erased but the update installed just fine.
I don't mind giving up Books for all the new features. The wifi store is very cool.

Did anyone else's WiFi store go down? I get an error saying that my iPhone can't connect to the Store. Nevermind, it's back now.

One tip. The free songs don't show up on the front page of the WiFi store, but if you follow a link to them from a website the WiFi store will show the free song and you can download it for free.
The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) has a post every Tuesday with free music on iTunes.
I tried to follow their free video and I got a page saying I needed to update my software on my iPhone, and to plug it into iTunes.
( Last edited by mdc; Sep 27, 2007 at 05:45 PM. )

hemant
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 06:05 PM

Did anyone test the TV out? Is there some setting to turn on.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2007, 06:09 PM

Updated mine like everyone else, lost all of my 3rd party. Oh well, just have to wait til next week when the Dev. Team finds a way to have installer app back on there. I tried to to re-install installer app but it froze and I did a 2nd full restore.

The phone looks empty now w/o my 3 rd party apps.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 06:10 PM

My iTunes does not have the battery status for my iPhone.

I took a screenshot of the Software Update video on Apple's website

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 06:16 PM

I unlocked my iPhone using the iUnlock method from modmyiphone.com. I have a legit ATT iPhone sim card in my iPhone and I have a proper AT&T account for my iPhone. I only unlocked the iPhone to use it overseas with another sim. When I returned to the USA I did an iTunes restore to 1.0.2

Will the 1.1.1 update brick my iPhone?

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2007, 07:59 PM

My iTunes does not have the battery status for my iPhone.

I took a screenshot of the Software Update video on Apple's website
Where does it say it will show battery life in iTunes now?
The only change made with battery was that you can now view your Bluetooth headset on your iPhone directly.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Where does it say it will show battery life in iTunes now?
The only change made with battery was that you can now view your Bluetooth headset on your iPhone directly.
wow!! it's the battery icon to the right of the "iphone"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2007, 08:43 PM

Am I correct in thinking that the touch's foreign keyboards are not included in this update? I was really looking forward to being able to type in Japanese.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2007, 09:32 PM

Update on a unmodified iPhone went fine.

I didn't notice any substantial improvement on the volume for the speaker or headset. Will do more testing.

I am underwhelmed - itunes is not what I was looking for. But a decent to do list (basically an updated Notes app), and options for a decent eBook reader, etc.

Need to check whether VPN is any better now. (no visible change in settings).

Wow - this was a truly minor update. I would have been better served to keep it at 1.0.2 so I could install 3rd party apps that at least deal with some of my top issues.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 10:54 PM

i just noticed that there is "on-the-go" playlists now.. I know they are on ipods but im pretty sure this is new with the update.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2007, 10:57 PM

You could always do on-the-go playlists on the iPhone.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 10:59 PM

are you sure? I must have really overlooked that..

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
are you sure? I must have really overlooked that..
On the Go playlist editing on the iPhone is actually pretty nice. And I know for sure it was is 1.0.2. Probably was in 1.0.0, but I didn't try it until about a month ago.

I've been playing with the 1.1.1 update for about an hour now. Not Earth-shattering, but the iTunes Music Store is kind of fun. Will probably end up costing me a lot - listening to music at work, feel like new tunes, drop $10-$20 on new albums every couple of days... I'll have to practice some serious self-restraint. Was never an option before. Interesting to note that I don't see a way to disable the iTunes Store. Not that I think that function is terribly necessary (no more so than, say, turning off YouTube), but none the less I don't see that one can turn it off.

The space bar double-tap shortcut for ". " is actually kind of nice, though I had discovered that if you tap the .?123 key and drag your finger to any other, then release, it'll type that single character then go back to the alpha keyboard. Saves a tap, but now I can save yet another.

I haven't experimented yet to see if the speaker/ringer/receiver earpiece volumes are any better.

Email attachments in landscape mode is very handy. I get a lot of Excel spreadsheets, and landscape mode makes them much, much nicer.

Also, 1.1.1 seems to fix a bug in the Excel spreadsheet display engine - I would see erroneous dates in certain cells (containing dates) which appear now to be displayed correctly.

The Home button double-tap helps save a few taps to get to the phone's favorite list, which is what I usually pull up to make a call.

And about 35 minutes of browsing while listening to iPod didn't cause any crashes (though I've never had much of a problem with this, I know others have).

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the touch's foreign keyboards are not included in this update? I was really looking forward to being able to type in Japanese.
On certain letters, try pressing "E" and hold it for 2 sec

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 12:27 AM

Hmm, that works for accents. But what about Japanese? Anyone know how you can type Japanese on the touch?

EDIT: According to this guide, you need to turn them on in the Settings.

Turn international keyboards on or off
You can change the language for your keyboard on iPod touch, or make two or more
keyboards available.

Choose General > Keyboards > International Keyboards and turn on the keyboards
you want.

If more than one keyboard is turned on, tap to switch keyboards when you’re typing.
When you tap the symbol, the name of the newly active keyboard appears briefly.
But I've already looked in the iPhone settings and there is no corresponding "International Keyboards" item, so it looks like they left it out.
( Last edited by icruise; Sep 28, 2007 at 12:33 AM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Email attachments in landscape mode is very handy. I get a lot of Excel spreadsheets, and landscape mode makes them much, much nicer.
Can you view and type emails in landscape mode or does this only apply to attachments?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

tmelcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 01:33 AM

This update is all well and good, but I simply will not upgrade until Installer.app is working on 1.1.1, even if that takes quite some time. The only substantial new feature, it seems like, is the iTunes WiFi store (don't get me wrong, the other small improvements are good), which pales in comparison to having SummerBoard, Apollo, etc.
Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3G
Airport Extreme + Airport Express dual access point setup

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 02:02 AM

Upgrade to 1.1.1 and still no landscape mode for viewing or creating emails.

I wanted to try the video out feature but I don't have a set of A/V cables that fit the iPhone's headphone port. Even the Apple branded A/V cable I bought for my 5G iPod doesn't work.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Upgrade to 1.1.1 and still no landscape mode for viewing or creating emails.
But oddly enough, you can now view attachments like Word files in landscape. Go figger.

And I'm still waiting for MMS.

But this was a good update and promising for the future since Apple can clearly add apps as they see fit. No doubt all of our major gripes will be resolved eventually (I hope).

Forum Links
Forum Rules